Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Windows 7

Squizzy246B ยท 2010-01-24 07:00

How is it performing?. I heard so many negatives about Vista...and my puter is an old clunker so I have stuck with XP. That said its an Upgrade version that hasn't been re-loaded for over 7 years....still runs good but a little slow....it might have a few issues...ya think

Replies14
  1. #1NL1CAT2010-01-24 09:42

    Win7 is lighter on the hardware then Vista. It "feels" better then Vista. But I like Xp allot to.

  2. #2hvy 1ton2010-01-24 14:58

    I have a 2003 desktop running XP and a 09 laptop that started out as a vista computer and i downloaded 7RC(build 7100, the final version is 7800). I like XP better than Vista, even with all the cool little things you can do in Vista. 7 runs much better, faster, more reliablily, and it has quite a few new little things that make it nice to run. The task bar is the best part for sure. The quick launch and task bar have been combined and the programs running can been organized in the task bar. Unfortunately, your gonna have to get new hardware to run 7, it has come a long ways since XP was released. I'm pretty sure my desktop wouldn't be able to run 7 even though its a gaming rig i put a lot of shinny bits into.

  3. #3willie592010-01-24 15:25

    So your saying; for those of us who resist change (hey...XP works, bottom line), if we were to buy a brand new 2010 computer, and it had Windows 7, we would find it an easy transition from XP and find it pleasing to work with? That's all that matters to me. But if it's all FUBAR, like I've heard about Vista, then I'll stick with XP until it's antiquated.

  4. #4Arabhacks2010-01-24 15:42

    Not like Vista! Hello. Unlike Vista, there is a good chance you can migrate to 7 from XP, or even 2000. 7 is Far easier on the hardware, 512 Megs is just fine, 2 Gigs and you are smokin'. I run 7 on a machine with 1 Gig of memory and a 800 MHz single core Toshiba laptop just fine. The same machine is all but broken with Vista on it. And, that machine came with 2000 on it! The only thing I have done to it is change the hard drive and add memory.

  5. #5JimBruce422010-01-24 15:44

    well I was plannin on gettin a new computer some time this year, my 6 year old desktop decided for me on Thursday, as it's currently not working. The new computer has Windows 7 on it and so far I like it quite nicely. Course i've only had the computer for 24 hours, maybe I should hold my opinions for later.:drinkup

  6. #6Steve Frazier2010-01-24 23:25

    Can a machine running Vista handle 7?

  7. #7Squizzy246B2010-01-24 23:40

    Steve: A machine not more than 2 or 3 years old running Vista should run 7 better than Vista.....according to the geeks. Whilst sorting through a lot of the Baloney that comes up with this stuff it seems Vista had some issues with older hardware...or the firmware that ran it. The general consensus seemed to be don't put Vista on an older machine...although its obvious many got away with it. It now "appears" the reverse is true of windows 7. If you are running XP then 7 "should" be OK but the same could not be said of Vista. Before I upgraded SWMBO's computer we tried Vista and it didn't like the old hardware and was very very slow......actually even slower than that:bash and that was with 2 gigs of RAM.

  8. #8Steve Frazier2010-01-24 23:52

    Both of my rigs were built with Vista, but with a minimal amount of memory to support it. I don't need all the gizmos Vista has, in fact I probably don't know about half of them. I'd rather have a quicker more responsive machine. Maybe I'll give it a try. Has it proven to be reliable at this point?

  9. #9Squizzy246B2010-01-25 00:11

    I started this thread because I'm not hearing much negative (can't be all good..) and my old banger is headed for the hardrive scrapheap in the sky. I'm asking the same question. Biggest complaint with Vista is that it seems to be resource hungry:beatsme

  10. #10xterrahawk2010-01-25 00:16

    I might help you guys a little bit well i hope to make you guys understand..I'm a computer technician also known as one of those "geeks" no offense taken lol. heres the bottom line Windows 7 has no comparision with windows Vista. Windows 7 is basically the performance of XP (based on normal features of a comp) and the visual of vista but better. A machine running windows 7 does not use as many resources as the same one running Vista. What kind of machine can run 7? The minimum specs to run windows 7 is 512mg of ram(memory) and at least an 80 GB hard drive. Do i recommend it? yes i have been putting windows 7 on all my customers computers and i have yet to hear something negative, unlike vista we had alot of problems. my suggestions if you wnat to upgrade a computer is make sure you have at least 1 gb of memory and i recommend to use a bigger hard drive then the 80 GB but if you dont wnat to spend another 80 bucks or so the 80GB will work fine. If you have more questions i will be glad to answer them. i didnt want to go into much detail and loose some of you guys. my personal email is [email protected]

  11. #11NL1CAT2010-01-25 10:57

    You can consider a distribution of Linux though. Many distro's got a live cd/dvd to download so you can try without installing. And it's FREE.

  12. #12Arabhacks2010-01-25 18:01

    Linux. Hello. You Can run Linux, but for most of the people here the applications only run in windows. Linux is fine for some things, but for a work computer built for someone in construction? :beatsme :bash

  13. #13NL1CAT2010-01-26 08:51

    I agree it's not suitable for all people, but I think they're enough people here on the board that can give it a go. And it comes with lots of apps already and is fairly easy on the hardware. Got dualboot on most of my pc's. But anyway .. lets get back to the win7 discussion..

  14. #14ez12010-01-26 11:30

    Windows 7... i havent ran into any issues with win 7 yet, i recommend all my customers that come in with vista, to upgrade. For you guys w/ older hardware, go ahead and upgrade, i havent had any issues yet upgrading an older computer that came with xp, to win 7. To sum this up in a round about way, win 7 is nothing more then the best parts of xp, and the best parts of vista, joined together, and a couple new features added, and named win 7. If you have a vista machine, it will run GREAT with win 7, vista needs 1.5 gb of memory to run decent, just by itself. If you want to run other programs, such as IE, MS OFFICE, etc, you need more memory 3 gb of memory is the min i reccomend for vista, then it runs fine. Most manufacturers started doing this about a year after vista came out, so in short, w/ the massive hardware requirements vista needs, it'll in turn make win 7 run that much better, because its light weight, just like xp is. Bad part about win 7 upgrade from xp, there is some changes, mostly visual changes, but all the same. Things are renamed, and moved around abit, making it a pain to find things like your used to. But if your used to vista, it's not much of a change. Hope that helps... -Jer