I’ve been running the 555e pretty hard the last couple days and it looks like I’ve got some things to do this winter.... 1) Hydraulic tank leaking. Needs taken off and welded 2) Left boom swing cylinder leaking 3) Hydraulic filter stuck on housing 4) Radiator hose blew yesterday and needs new one installed 5) Lot of grease fittings won’t take grease Anyone else starting their winter to-do list?
I have a spool leaking in my backhoe control valve that will be changed. Spools are not replaceable. They are precision fit to the section they are put in at the factory. Gotta replace the section it is in. A very nasty job.
Curious about the spool replacement thing, I work at a feed mill and all of our auger trucks due to their harsh working conditions(dirt, salt, corrosion)sometimes spring a leak at the spool o-rings and when you pull the spool out for repair they are corroded and pitted badly and the position detents are badly rusted as well making them junk..We regularly rebuild sections with spool o-ring kit, screw a new detent assy onto a new spool and they work good as new..the valve bank on an auger truck is very similiar to a backhoe bank with the addition of speed controls and other crap...are backhoe sections made with a closer tolerance due to higher pressures? 2000 vs 2300?
Case valves are the only brand I have experience with. The spools are amazingly tight in the bores of the body. I would venture to say they are hand lapped at the factory that made them. There were no "O"rings on any of the spools I had apart. Just a seal in the body, top and bottom. None of the valves I worked on had new spools available from Case. You have to purchase the entire section if a spool wears out or gets damaged somehow.
That really sucks cuz that's a pretty pricey hunk of metal...aside from the fact that you have to tear that whole animal apart to fix one section..
If I were smart I'd be thinking about using the winter to replace some cylinder seals. Other than that I'll hoping (but not counting on) to get a building up before it gets too cold. Then I can work on the machine a bit more when it's out of the weather.
I hate the cold but i like that things are not so busy .My skid steer has 2 cylinders leaking a little the engine has a leak wires showing on 4 hyd lines. The bad part is it is handy to push snow with i hate to have it down for long but i have 2 tractors and a blade.
After thinking more about my list, I’m up to 25 items now.... some of them are somewhat major repairs, but others are just ticky tack annoyances of mine.... The question remains, how much money do I really want to spend