Hi everyone. I’m new on the forum and getting myself familiarized with the format here. I recently started an excavation company after taking a 3 month heavy equipment operator program in olds, Alberta Canada. I’m a civil engineer tech by education and I must admit quite new with diesel motors and heavy equipment. I bought a 2014 John Deere 180g Lc January 2016 and have just reached 1600hours on the machine. Today I tried to start it up on the job and it’s not firing up. I’m thinking it may need ether but it’s quite early for this machine. It is due for an oil change and service. I’m thinking the fuel filter is clogged and the diesel is gelling that’s not starting the machine. I’ve searched online and fell upon a sea foam I want to try. Does anyone have suggestions how I should go abouts winterizing this machine going forward. Anything would be appreciated.
What was the temp there, and what kind of fuel is in it? And what kind of engine? What does seafoam claim to do for a cold diesel??? If the tank is full of summer fuel then you'll need to get it warmed up and started, then replace with winterized diesel, or add a cetane boost/ anti waxing additive and run it long enough to warm and mix into the fuel. 911 is what truckers use when they get stuck with a waxed up filter, warm the filter up and pour the 911 in the filter and try to start it. 911 is not a long term solution, it's an emergency fix. You may need a block heater depending on how cold you plan to use this thing. Batteries may be a tad weak for the climate? Lower viscosity oil maybe? read the manual.
Hi Delmer. Apparently it’s -20c (-4f) however doesn’t feel like it. It currently has diesel fuel that we put in a couple days ago. I believe it’s low sulfur that is standard winterized for Canada at this time of year. I just added a diesel conditioner for anti gelling. It’s a 2014 jd 180g lc excavator so it has the EPA FT4/EU Stage IV engine. Seafoam apparently cleans the injectors and conditions the fuel and helps deal with the gunk, online it was recommended to use each time after changing filter. The oil is low as well. I swear these operators.... don’t do pre and post trips. I found the Manual I’ll read it over some more. Hydraulic fluid is low also. .... hmm. Thanks for the reply !
If you are regularly stating it at those temps you will need to use a block/oil pan heater if power is available. If you are in a remote location I would invest in a Proheat for your machine. Preheating your engine before you start it will save you time and $$$ in the future. http://www.proheat.com/offHighway/mSeries/index.html
The winterized diesel should be fine. You just need to plug it in most likely. Maybe new or warm batteries would help, maybe not. I have an old version of that engine with the stanadyne injection pump, and it will start with one decent warm battery at that temp but it's marginal. It will not start with one cold battery below 10F. The common rail engine should start better, but might need the speed to get the fuel pressure up before it will fire? that's above my pay grade.
Battery power is very important. If power drops to low as the engine turns over the ecm will shut off. I would say block heater or some heat like proheat. And new fuel filters early in the winter season will help. Also make sure the fuel is not gelled. Drain some out and look at it. When it is in a bottle or some thing you can see if it gelling or not.
Hi guys, i drained the final water separator and I added the fuel conditioner let it sit for a couple hours. Shot some ether Earlier. I started it up and it worked. I believe the conditioner helped with the gelling and possibly the water seperator. Next step top it up with 0-40 engine oil till I can get it in for service since the engine oil is low. No zinc hydraulic oil is next. (I read the Manual) Thanks for the pro heat option I think I will have to invest in that. Sounds like a great option it’s like It sacrifice for the heavy duty parts for the machine. Great suggestion !