Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

wiring john deere 260 problem

rhudson1 ยท 2009-08-13 17:14

I am having a problem with the wiring. machine continues to blow the ign switch fuse. 2 red wires. 1 goes to the starter the other goes into the roof but not along the same harness as the others. I replaced the fuse and it blows as soon as i turn the key on.....need wiring diagram or any info could this be the switch. i see no cut or rubbed wires unless it is inside the harness or roof

Replies7
  1. #1hvy 1ton2009-08-13 18:05

    Have you messed with the door immobilizer switch? My dad hotwired it for a while and i think we killed the ingnition fuse any a couple of others after around 150hrs.

  2. #2rhudson12009-08-14 08:52

    door switch is ok...Has any one heard of a bad ign switch blowing the fuse, each time the switch is turned on?

  3. #3Ebdouglas2011-11-28 16:52

    I am having the same problem with a customers machine. Only difference is that this one won't do it every time. It is intermittent and hard to pinpoint what is causing it. I thought it was the lift pump but it popped my breaker while the pump was un plugged. I'm thinking it's something to do with the injector pump. Every time its running if I rev it up and down quickly it will pop the breake; however if I slowly move the throttle it will only quit once and a while. But it does seem to run fine at idle as long as you don't touch anything. I have a diagram on it's way from jd when I get it'll post it.

  4. #4rhudson12011-11-29 00:10

    Ok give me a day to find the paper work so I can give you the right part name. It is a sensor around the throttle linkage on the right side of the motor. Round about size of half dollar and thinking below the upper rad hose. If I remember correctly it has to do with cold start . I will try to confirm. But easy fix after you dx the problem. Remember mine blew the fuse as soon as ignition was turned on . It had a short inside the sensor . Replaced it and now no problems. Bet u could disconnect start and run. If it dosent blow then u found the problem or wait for jd to send you the testing sequence for ohms meter .

  5. #5Ebdouglas2011-11-29 06:59

    Oh I won't wait for them I'll just start testing what I know for sure. I'll check what you are talking about and I also noticed this morning that the parking brake switch is the only ground in the harness on the top dash and it does work goofy from time to time, so I'm thinking it's a possibility that the brake switch is my direct short but I'll know in a few.

  6. #6Ebdouglas2011-11-29 21:16

    Tested more stuff this morning and what I found was kind of odd. The coolant temp sensor seemed to be shorting and that was blowing the fuse and killing the power to the fuel shut off solenoid. Just wanted to throw that out there.

  7. #7Ebdouglas2011-11-29 21:23

    Just hit me that the coolant temp sensor is what you were talking about. And yes it was just below upper radiator hose on the right side just above and behind the injector pump. Thanks for the insight I was looking for what you were talking about and saw the wires from the coolant temp sensor tied into the fuel shutoff and just decided to test it not realizing until just now, that was just what you were talking about. Again thank you for your thoughts.