How many folks here have jobs for big dozers, D8 and up size? And what do you figure the cost is to move a yard of dirt now?
Dozer575: "How many folks here have jobs for big dozers, D8 and up size?" I break ground on a project in another week that'll have 11 dozers, D8 and larger on it. "And what do you figure the cost is to move a yard of dirt now?" Proportionately higher than it was before based on current fuel prices in your area and the machine being utilized to move the material? That question has so many variables that it's basically impossible to answer. With the price of fuel, in addition to increased emission regulations, I foresee more contractors leaning towards Tier II/III/IV machines to replace the older, much less fuel efficient machines.
It's a vicious circle, if you aren't burning fuel you aren't making money. At least around here it's weeding out the fly-by-night operators who will bid a job for a $1 or $2/yd just to keep working. It's pushing $3/yd just to break even. It's not just fuel, everything has just gone nuts. Parts, tires, insurance, and if you do luck out and find a decent operator, pay him a good wage and benefits or someone else will snatch him away. Can't blame him though, things are going to get real ugly soon unless something changes.
It's not only the money I am having to pay for fuel that's hurting... Since the economy is in such a state of disarray, I am now competing with multi-billion dollar companies for little jobs that wouldn't have hit their radar 12 months ago. I am a very small operation with low expenses and a good selection of trucks and equipment... I am able to move fast and keep prices below a company that has to justify working a $700,000 scraper with a full benefits package operator at the helm. But, if the big boys don't have any work, they can get pretty lean and mean on their pricing. I'm supposed to be making money during the summer to carry us through a long, wet winter... So far, that's just not happening! www.petersfamilytrucking.com
I use the Caterpillar Performance Handbook. it gives more information than you want on what it cost to move dirt. You can usually get them for free from your cat sales rep. There is a book titled Estimating Excavation by Deryl Burch, cost is about $40 but it is worth it. Hope this helps. :my2c Trashman
I have a D8L I have no work for it right now. Machines paid for and made me a lot of money so I can't argue. I'm finishing up a site job right now. I have a Komatsu WA450 loader, Komatsu PC600, Komatsu PC400 and Cat M322C there. Spent almost $10,000 in fuel last week. I even told the guys, "listen if there's nothing to do, don't worry about trying to look busy, I'd rather see you doing nothing than burning fuel for no reason." I know a lot of dump trailer guys are going under, they just can't make it with the prices of fuel.