Did a search on this but couldn't find any relevant or timely responses. I'm a 36 year old female and have been laid-off from my office job for over a year now. However, during that time I have spent a lot of time thinking about what kind of jobs I find interesting and heavy equipment operation is one of them. What I want to know from you veterans is what is the best method for entering the field completely green. Although I am young and a female I am not scared of a challenge. I am pretty strong for my size and have a great sense of humor, which I know I'll need. I've considered the training schools but from what I've read on here that's not the best option plus I don't think I can afford it. I want to just start walking into places but doubt anyone will take me seriously. And all the jobs in the paper for this kind of work want experience. How can I convince someone to take me on as an apprentice? Any advice will be helpful. Many thanks in advance. Oh and I'm in Harrisburg, PA if that makes any difference. Elizabeth
well, shasta, i would recommend looking into a union apprenticeship. i know many women in my local, local 150 out of chicago. usually, they accept women without a long wait. http://www.iuoe66.org/ this is the local out of pittsburgh.
oh, and harrisburg area is local 542
Yup, Union Apprenticeship is the way I'd go. I may still take my local up on an apprenticeship but I'm on the mechanic path so I'm not 100% sure yet.
Apply for a ground level job (yes shovel) and work your way up just like 75 percent of other operators do
Yeah and maybe get onto a packer or a tractor pulling a packer or a disc, that's how I started when I went west.
IUOE Apprenticeship Having paid and attended heavy equipment school for 6 weeks and then applying and getting into a IUOE apprenticeship program I would only apply for the apprenticeship program if I was in your shoes!!!! It takes a long term commitment to become a skilled equipment operator if you want to make a good wage either union or nonunion. The IUOE's training program at local 542 is a very good program will you will get a good shot at becoming a equipment operator. IUOE locals have great pension plans if you stay active working at the trade and many operator's pensions are in above 50 thousand dollars where the hours have been worked. Health care as well as savings programs but you must have good skills and good work ethics to be successful. Pennsylvania is about to enact thier crane license law in October which is going to make a skilled crane operator more valuable. They only take applications once a year and it is very competitive but I would give them a call. You can get thier phone number at this website: www.iuoe.org Good luck!!!!!
Great to see another woman not scared of a male dominated construction industry. Please keep an open mind about the path you wish to take. I see the Union folks have weighed in, I suggest you have a look through the threads at this site concerning union membership as its not for everybody. In the area you are in, most all heavy equipment operators are unionized but its NOT by any means, manditory. Good luck!
Something else that dosen't cost alot and would open a few more doors for you ,get your C.D.L. A or B license. When I was younger and cut timber for other producers there were girls that drove truck and skidders. I remember one young girl that drove skidder for use,we would come out to the landing at night and ask her how many bd. ft. we cut that day and she would spout off a number. After it was trucked to the yard she was within a few hundred feet.
Running equipment isn't rocket science. I wouldn't waste money on school. I think you either got it or you don't. Most times you can tell in 5 minutes if someone has an aptitude or not. Anyone care to disagree? Obviously experience makes you better, and everyone is different, I.E. some people learn at a different pace, but I still will say that some folks will be natural, and some will never get it, no matter how hard they try. I've often wondered why there are not more women running machines. There is not typically any physical reason why they couldn't. I'm non union. western pa, and proud of it. Good luck girl!:usa
daddy , You are spot ON, You either can or you carn't, ( Just like you carn't be a little bit pregnant) Cheers Leroy
I can't wait for my little girl to get on my machines she's only 6 months old so I gotta be a little more patceint so I take my neice on them and she loves them. And apptitude is a huge part.
The way you decide to learn is up to you. Elizabeth, one thing you will learn if you run equipment, most people seem to have strong opinions that the path they learned on is right, and everybody else is screwed up. Ignore that. Again. I don't know what schools you are referring to. If 542 is anything like my local, apprentices don't have to pay anything for their initial training. The money comes from the benefit package of the people already working in the trade, it's not much, it's pennies per hour. I am not saying that formal training is what you should or shouldn't do, that's up to you. Only do that if you're serious about working in the trade, because there are people who really do want to attend that training. Whatever way you learn, whether it is formal training, or learning on a job, there is an apprenticeship mentality. With good reason because nobody just wakes up one morning making critical picks with a Manitowoc 4100, or fine grading a road with a grader or dozer, or running a hoe with a pipe crew. It takes some experience to do finish work and be productive, I don't care what anybody says.
And 75% of those probably get that job shovelling when they're somewhere around eighteen or their early twenties. Kids that age, regardless of their gender, are less likely to have any real sort of financial obligations, (big mortgage payments, big car payments, lots of mouths to feed), so they can afford to spend a few years in an entry level position, getting entry level pay, waiting for the chance to learn the skills. For somebody in the latter half of their 30's, that may not be a viable alternative.
Lots of people around here in the 30s and 40s running a shovel with kids and car payments. When you run a shovel around here you also run a packer rock truck put up silt fence so on and on its not like you run a hand powerd dragline every day. A labourer/packer/rock truck driver/do whats needed around the site. is the entry level position witch also pays better then alot of office jobs so unless the person is affraid of a little hard work it's a great way to get into the industry. Lots of the time (a good) Labourer moves up to learning a machine in 3 to 6 months. All the time making decent money already while the boss sees if your reliable and worth the time losing production while your on the learning curve. I think this is a good option for people. Most of the time when you change career's your looking at goin to school living of Kraft Dinner while you live on student loans then having to pay that money back in the end. Atleast running a shovel you make decent money and build a good rep with the company and learn by watching while you work.
I dunno if I really believe in you either got it or you don't. I think if your hearts really in it and you practice and work hard it will pay off. I believe it takes more then 5 minutes to tell whether you got it or you don't. I too am looking for a way to get into the industry Shasta and am actually going to a community college in my state August 22nd that has a 1 year equipment program. Good luck! Don't let anyone ever tell you you can't do it.
Oops sorry didnt think it posted so I double posted. Stupid phone internet
Someone mentioned get your CDL B or A- as a female I strongly second that notion. I have my class B now plus passenger & school bus- (class A road test in 3 weeks) when things get tight(er) I can pick up sub bus driving or drive a dump truck for some of the local pits when they are short handed (our area is nothing but gravel & rocks so pits abound), or deliver equipment depending on weight. If you are safe and reasonably quick the phone will ring once people get to know that you are an option. And once people know you in one capacity, if they like the work you do in that capacity and you show interest they'll try you out on other things. Good luck! It isn't the easiest living in the world- especially if you are what we ruefully call "self-(un)employed"- but if you enjoy it there's nothing better!
I realize that my statement sounded rather absolute. Let's just say that the younger, and less encumbered, you are, the better that option looks.
having your class a or b is a great way to get into the industry. I have worked with women who start out not knowing a thing about the industry. they hung in and learned a lot. now they can run some of the machines and help out if we need extra help. It is just a thought If you want to be flexible. good luck and do give up if you really what to.
Just for the record, I think there is room for women in construction, and would be happy to see more try it. I do believe it is foolish to work super hard to achieve something that you are not inclined to be good at. I spent 2 yrs of my life, and a huge amount of money going to college for engineering, only to find out that I just ain't cut out to be an engineer. If I'd have become an operator right out of high school, my house would be paid for, and I'd be figuring out how soon I could retire, and do whatever I want. Shoulda, coulda, woulda... No regrets here, just saying its hard to know what you will be good at, but you will be more successful if you take to something quickly and find it easy. I guess it all depends on what you end up doing as well. I have a guy on my crew who is a slow learner, but once he gets something down he does it the same way every time. On a skid loader, he looks like frankenstein. One move at a time. He can't curl the bucket and raise/lower the arms at the same time. He runs a broom tractor for me, and does a great job. He makes a good living doing that. He can't see grade,and will probably never run anything with a bucket or blade, but he is making money. My experience with school (college) left me a little bitter, but in my time I have only known one person who went to an equipment operator school, and he lasted about a week. Had no talent, and wasted alot of money. If you have an aptitude, I'm sure you will learn from it, and it may help to get a job, although It won't keep a job if you suck. This is my experience. Your mileage may vary.:drinkup
Spending money and time getting a CDL is most definitely worth while. Almost a requirement to be competitive. And I'll add that if you can handle a truck and trailer, you might be more likely to be a good operator.
Concerning CDL, this is from another thread. Quote: Originally Posted by milling_drum Bro...You need to maintain a Commercial Drivers License in pretty much ALL heavy equipment lines of work. You are extremely valuable to a Contractor if you can put a machine you KNOW how to run on a 60 ton detach trailer and move it from job to job.... Most any contractor running a multiple jobs would kill for someone like that even if you NOT that great on grade controls/slope req/high production situations...you aren't stuck in a truck all day long. The better you get on grading and loading material out the less your in a truck...Doing both helps you learn more alot faster than even just the two or 3 machines. In most areas in America where its prevailing wage and/or union, you MUST have (at minimum) a license to drive a tandem but class A is preffered. I disagree it maybe that way in FL though. I've lived/worked in WI, NE, CA, TX and never seen that to be the case. Companies have operators and then they have drivers. I see more and more companies hire out there moves over having there own trucks. Now there are some position that you can get into that you will need a CDL, but they are far from the norm. I've had my CDL for 8 years and only rarely used it until 8 months ago and thats only because on how slow things are. I'm not saying its a bad thing to have, but far from mandatory. ok Quote: Originally Posted by Dozerboy I disagree it maybe that way in FL though. I've lived/worked in WI, NE, CA, TX and never seen that to be the case. Companies have operators and then they have drivers. I see more and more companies hire out there moves over having there own trucks. Now there are some position that you can get into that you will need a CDL, but they are far from the norm. I've had my CDL for 8 years and only rarely used it until 8 months ago and thats only because on how slow things are. I'm not saying its a bad thing to have, but far from mandatory. I agree 110%. I have my CDL and have never used in construction. It is definitely not mandatory for the companies I have worked for. Uh huh In WI. you need a CDL if you are a equipment operator and drive any machinery on the highway like to or from a job site. I don't think anyone enforces it but it is the law, I suppose if you ever got into some kind of an accident they would smack you with a ticket if you didn't have a CDL. Makes sense Originally Posted by EGS I agree 110%. I have my CDL and have never used in construction. It is definitely not mandatory for the companies I have worked for. Maybe its just the bad economy but I applied at seven different companies this spring and every single one wanted a Class A. Finally got in one and road testing as soon as we slow down. If you really want to get into being a operator and dont have some tie to it join the military get your training there as a operator. Even then you'll realize its much more then just lifting blades and driving back/forth. Looks like the requirements differ depending on area.