I’ve got a 84 Ford FT900 with a cat engine & a roadranger 13 speed model # RT-6613. Truck has sat for a few months no having trouble getting truck into gear. Had no problems before it was parked. You try to get truck into gear & it just grinds like you not even mashing the clutch in. But the clutch rods are still connected & still has resistance when pushed. Any help is appreciated
That would most likely be a 3208 with that transmission, and they all had push-type clutches. There should be a button on the side of the shift lever, it controls the transmission brake.
Yeah it’s a 3208 but there’s a button on the side of the shifter that controls the range in the transmission but no button for the clutch brake that I’m aware of. Have had the truck for 3 years & no problems with it until now that it’s sat for about 6-7 months
Maybe it’s stuck and not releasing.....perhaps the pilot bearing is crusty and the mainshaft won’t quite stop turning. Put it in gear then start it up and see what it does. Maybe a little load on it will break things free.
Ok I could try that to see if it’ll free up. So does it even have a clutch brake or is that what your saying may be stuck. I’m thinking it had one by the way everything worked before
Junkyard, do you know if there were other options for the clutch brake? I've only ever been around the ones with the little button on the side of the lever, was there some other way it was applied?
Might want to crawl under and take a peek at the clutch. If the fork is on the pressure plate side of the throw-out bearing, it will have a clutch brake. If it's on the trans side, there has to be a trans brake somewhere.
All I’ve ever seen were on the input shaft and when the clutch travel was sufficient to make contact it would slow the input shaft down. Can’t say I’ve even seen one with the button. I’d put $ on it being stuck having been sitting so long....
So if it has a trans brake it would have a button somewhere? A clutch brake works off the pedal? I’ve had the truck for 3 years & have never used a button anywhere to get it into gear
Like I said it’s sat for about 6-7 months without being moved. But no problems before this issue. So junkyard you suggest putting into gear & then starting the truck to try to free everything up.
Many older trucks with 3208 had push-type clutch, no brake on the input shaft. They had an air-operated transmission brake. Not sure where it was or how it worked, just know there was a little push button on the side of the lever.
With the clutch pedal pushed in, lol. I honestly can't believe nobody seems to know about push-type clutches behind a 3208. We had two growing up, and I've driven many others.
The push button brakes were usually a modified pto on the 6 bolt hole, had an air cylinder that rubbed a shoe against the pto gear. Crude but worked.
Yes forgot that detail
I was probably still a snot nosed kid when they were in their prime lol.
Yeah lol that could be bad. So am I misunderstanding a clutch brake & a transmission brake. I always just heard the terms & thought they was referring to the same thing. I just know that there’s not a button to help get it into gear. I’ll try to put it into gear & see if things free up
If a 3208 ever had a prime that is! Lol
A 3208 probably never had been in its prime. But it’s sure been a dependable ole thing. Just my mistake for letting it sit for so long. Haven’t had a drop of problems with it the 3 years I’ve owned. Just this problem here
For sure not by much, but they were better than most of the other options in that size back then. The IH 9.0L was a much better engine, but a little light on hp. Detroit 6-71s or 8.2L? Enough said. The only engine I would rate better at that time would be the IH DT-466, and they weren't better by much.
Yep, replaced several 8.2 Detroits and 555 Cummins engines with decent 32Y 3208s, they were the best fit for the original package.
A lot of families have been feed by 3208s dependable engines I also agree about dt466 but I think 3208s would hold up to the abuse of being underpowered better
I remember years ago when I worked for International in Denver, they traded for a heard of Western Distributing single axle tractors. Straight piped turboed 3208 cats and 8.2 Detroit. Ten speeds with the little air button for the clutch brake. Screaming little buggers!
I was going to list the TripleNickle, but I've never personally seen one in a truck, and I didn't want to get made fun of if they weren't ever put in trucks.
Awesome!! FINALLY somebody that knows about the air trans brake.
I don’t know about the air button for the trans brake on others. Just know that mine doesn’t have it. The only button I’ve got is for the range selection. Drove the truck for 3 years without a problem. Just let it sit & now something is stuck
The model # RTO-6613 is the transmission with the auxiliary button for the transmission brake.
I have an '82 Ford with 3208 and 5&2. I'd like to put a road ranger in it...may have to research your 13 spd. Mine has a dual disc clutch. It's been pretty good farm machine. Could a friction disc in the clutch be frozen to the flywheel on yours? Try starting with it in gear yet? I had to do that years ago with a Yamaha 2 stroke with a frozen clutch...it worked. And, my New Holland has a block to put under the clutch pedal to keep the clutch released durin long periods to prevent same. Darryl
Personally, I'd put a 9513 in before a 613. The upper gears get a little far apart with the 613, kind of like jumping from 4th low to 4th high on your 5+2.
Shimmy, Thanks for the info. Darryl
Labparamour, yes I went just a bit ago & started it while in gear. Seemed to work to free it up some, still has some grinding going on but will now at least go into gear. I’m hoping when I drive it more it will get better. As far as the gearing in the gearing in the transmission goes with my truck it’s double framed from bumper to bumper has a 21ft log bed & hauls a full load pretty good. As good as expected for the 3208t. It does real well. I’m just hoping this issue resolves itself
You never said it was a turbo until now. They were definitely pretty good runners with that 13 behind them.
Sorry about that confusion I guess. Yes it’s a turbo 3208, I was more concerned about the clutch issue. But hopefully the more it gets worked & drove the better it’ll get. I’m hoping it’ll get back to normal the way it was before. My mistake for leaving it sit so long.
That's my guess, mouse ****. It will keep getting better, but you won't get rid of the ****. I'd try to keep it parked on gravel, see if you can find and seal any spot they had access to the bellhousing. If there is none, then it was just condensation I guess.
there were a lot of555 put in trucks especially whites
Don't worry shimmy, I know what your talking about with the little button trans brake. I've never used one that worked, but I know what your talking about. I still have a couple cranes with them, and push clutch. The clutch shop kind of stares when I bring one in, but they can still get them. As far as the 3208 debate, I'd take one before a 8.2 or a 555. The 6v-53 is a little more difficult, but they are horribly noisy. 3208 is a great starter in cold weather too.
Yeah, as long as you’re not downwind... Darryl
Drove it up & down the road a few times today. Everything seems to be back the way it should be. I’ve learned my lesson now on letting it sit like that without being moved around. Thanks to all for the helpful information. Brandon
Thanks for letting us know it’s workin! We don’t always get to hear that we did any good
Not a problem Junkyard, I don’t care 1 bit to give you all the credit you deserve. I use this site quite often & sure appreciate all the knowledge that’s on here. Brandon
just a bit of trivia- . I think I remember driving a gm tandem gas job with air brakes in the late 70's with a 454 (a little more torque than a 427) and a 6613 with the air button trans/clutch brake on the side of the stick. it was a dump body
Yeah I looked online & from what I can tell the RTO-6613 had the button on the stick for the trans brake. But no button for the RT-6613. The only difference I can see in the 2 trans is the gear ratio in be gearing of the trans. The RTO is a little higher geared
Not all RTO 6613's had the button for the clutch brake. Option with type of clutch-and some used a pull type 14" twin disc with a standard clutch brake. Most of it depended on who spec'ed the truck and what power was in front. For instance International didn't use that set-up much behind a 466. Truck Shop
I knew of 3 big Internationals with 549 gassers with the same setup. (Ex USAF trucks) from the mid 70's.
This^^
I don`t think i`ve seen a 6613 in anything newer than 73
it would make sense that gm used an RTO because the 5&4's had od in the aux and probably used the same rear axle ratio with the two different transmissions in the 6500 series med duty trucks. also I seem to remember both transmissions used a dual disc push type clutch
The 6613 was a favorite for International behind the 446 all the way into the 90's, look at the price of a reman these days. Truck Shop
the particular truck I remember would have been about a '75 to '79. it was one of the newer ones in the fleet
I'm not sure which transmission the Internationals had, but it was the little 13 with the air button on the shifter. Push type clutches too.