Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Won’t shift int 2nd gear or 4×4

Equipmentguy224 · 2017-11-10 17:01

It is almost impossible to shift into 2nd gear or 4x4 on my Case 580 SE. If I get lucky and it engages, everything works fine. In the manual it tells me that if it won't go into 4x4 I have to move forward a "small distance" and try again. Most of the time I have to move forward several times to get it engaged though. 1st 3rd and 4th always work. Does anybody have an idea on what might cause this?. I didn't find anybody with a similar problem online. Since it it hard to get into 4x4 I just leave it on full time when plowing snow. Thanks for your input!!!

Replies11
  1. #1Equipmentguy2242017-11-10 17:40

    Also it got a lot worse since I got the machine earlier this summer. I didn't notice the problem when I bought it.

  2. #2alrman2017-11-10 18:21

    There is no synchro on 1st or 2nd gear. Are you saying if the FNR lever is in neutral, with the engine running, you cannot select 2nd because the gears are grinding? or the gearshift is just not able to engage 2nd? Will 2nd engage with the engine not running?

  3. #3Equipmentguy2242017-11-10 19:23

    Yes, with the FNR lever in neutral I am not able to go into 2nd. So basically I can't leave neutral on the 4 speed (of course I can go into 1,3,4). It feels like it pushes against something. And it doesn't make a diff if the engine is stopped. And there is no grinding whatsoever. Thanks for your help!!

  4. #4alrman2017-11-10 22:21

    My guess would be that you have some type of problem in the shift cover. Sticky interlock pin? Rust on a shift rail? Remove the shiftcover (after you remove the floor.....) & try to select 2nd using a prybar - see how difficult it is to do. .... or just drive around in 1st & 3rd

  5. #5Equipmentguy2242017-11-11 13:46

    If I take off the shift cover are there any loose parts which may fall down into the trans ? Anywhere I have to be extra careful? Thanks!

  6. #6Billrog2017-11-11 15:50

    No parts will fall down but if I remember right make sure you line the forks up in the same place they were when you took the cover off.

  7. #7Equipmentguy2242018-03-20 00:22

    After going around in 1st & 3rd for way too long I finally took out the floor today. I tried to remove the shift cover but it would only come off about a inch on the front (its not stuck to the gear housing). I tried to get it off with each of the 3 gears and neutral selected but that didn't change anything. I didn't remove the shift lever from the shift cover. Anybody know how to do this?

  8. #8Tinkerer2018-03-20 08:53

    Do you have it in neutral ? Gotta be neutral. From the service manual.

  9. #9Equipmentguy2242018-03-20 16:30

    Yes I have it in neutral. Would it help if I removed the shift lever?

  10. #10Tinkerer2018-03-22 07:51

    Removing the shift lever makes it a little easier to remove the cover. But won't help your situation. Might be a problem with one of the detents that hold the rails in position. I am posting a page from the service manual that will help you to see what is involved in the cover and forks.

  11. #11Equipmentguy2242018-03-27 15:54

    After removing the shift lever, I was able to pry up the cover with a screwdriver. Not sure if removing the lever helped or if I just didn’t try hard enough the first time. The roll pin that connects the ball join to the shift lever was missing (#13 in picture). From what I can tell, the gears seemed to be in good condition. After installing a new roll pin and lubricanting the shift rails with some Lucas oil, it shifts better than before. Now That I already have the cover off, I’d like to "flush" the transmission. What can I use to flush it? I can’t change the oil, use the machine for a while and change it again as a pail if that stuff is $181 before tax. I hear some people use diesel or just some thinner, crappy oil to flush it. I’m not sure if diesel would hurt the brakes though. I’d like to lift the machine up with the stabilizers and turn the wheels by hand to make sure I get all the gunk out. Any ideas? Thanks!