Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Won’t start warm

Willie B ยท 2021-06-03 19:08

John Deere 410C Backhoe. I had a problem last winter, it'd die driving down the road. Figured out a check ball in the return line from injector pump to the tank was getting blocked. The Pump Guy SC explained the problem. A friend, along with my son grabbed the ball & ran with it. A local guy rebuilds your pump at your location. He tried in bitter outdoor cold, but broke a screw backing it off. He returned with the pump rebuilt a few days later. It now starts well, runs fine, plenty of power, but don't shut it off warm engine, it won't restart. A few revolutions of the engine, it sounds like it's going to fire, then starter goes sluggish. I think battery. Cables are all new, contact points polished & greased with Noalox. Batteries test good under load test. Injector timing. Do I need a lift pump?

Replies6
  1. #1JL Sargent2021-06-04 03:34

    Mine had a very similar problem for a while and it ended up being a bad electrical connection feeding the fuel shutoff solenoid on the injection pump.

  2. #2repowerguy2021-06-04 05:21

    Try the old school trick of turning the steering wheel while cranking it hot.

  3. #3mg23612021-06-04 05:44

    Fuel tank vent?

  4. #4Willie B2021-06-04 06:41

    I'll check out those suggestions. It eventually starts but I feel it should fire right off once warm.

  5. #5repowerguy2021-06-04 07:33

    My old 310 with the little 3 cyl will crank over slowly in a hot restart, I just turn steering wheel while cranking the engine to unload the hydraulic pump, works every time.

  6. #6Tinkerer2021-06-04 08:47

    Does the hydraulic pump have a manual destroke screw ? If it does try screwing it in and see if the cranking speed changes.