I seem to remember there was a thread on this, but it's been a while. Article is on 20 year olds working habits. https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonnazar/2013/07/23/20-things-20-year-olds-dont-get/ Obviously more geared to an office environment, but the principles are the same to those of us who do "real work". One thing that grabbed my attention was the "3 years at one job" thing. There is no question in my mind that that is generally the way to get ahead these days. The trick is not leaving too early and losing out on learning and advancement in one place, or leaving too late and spinning your wheels in one place. I have noticed a few guys who made a really good career as second in command under one boss, when they were both growing at the same time, though.
Was laid off a lot in the early days, found a niche with a leasing company where could bounce around the nation to different locales/customer bases/equipment types. Learned a lot there. Moved to a new small company in 84 stayed with them for a number of years as the business grew. Had some personal conflict issues where the owner thought I did not charge customers appropriately as night shift working foreman, would give away a light bulb or a small bolt, nuts even a wire terminal or two and time to fix a lamp for an inspection NC. I had a clientele developed by end of year three that frequented but ONLY when I was working not for freebies but for pride of workmanship. He never understood or accepted that so I ended up leaving, they lost a fair amount of income pissing off customers that knew me and did not care for the replacement losing their business that he swore I was stealing at my home shop, most I never saw again. Got burnt out in 96, decided had enough moving to a power plant, still did some wrenching but it dribbled away to hobby work after a few years. Lease company lasted 7, spot jobs between moves and prior to while kept plugging on my own as a small fleet service, small open garage just at 9, again spot jobs along with and after, had my own shop or work truck and pad at the house on the side, did work for several quarries, a few dump truck/excavation services, stuck out the Nuke for 21. Always made a point to the guys I worked with and around, get the work done, out the door and well completed THEN screw off. Avoid the girl friend during work time, try to keep your friends at arms length when on the clock at least until work was caught up then shoot the ****. Some it took many it did not.