Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

work in williston north dakota

xcavater ยท 2011-10-08 23:59

Howdy boys its been awhile since I have posted. Let me get right to it.... last 3 years worked for the biggest non union outfit in vegas. now im in phoenix az. I have a 347.00 a week child support nut i have to crack. Its not gonna happen here. I am leaving to North Dakota around the 15 of oct. Any info regarding pay scales, housing, best outfits would be greatly appreciated. U.S.A all the way

Replies23
  1. #1Boss2011-10-09 01:04

    From what I have heard from others, there are plenty of jobs to bed had, but housing is impossible to find. All of the food and essentials prices are up out there also. I heard local restaurants are having to pay upwards of $15 an hour just to get help, as everyone is working the boom.

  2. #2KSSS2011-10-09 02:40

    You may want to make your first stop be the Carhart store. Check out the Artic line of outerwear. I grew up out there and coming from AZ and NV you likely have never seen Winter like you see up there.

  3. #3xcavater2011-10-09 13:01

    Thank you for the info I went to Cabelas yesterday to get gear. I worked 1 winter in Salt Lake but that im sure doesn't hold a candle to N.D. Thanks again

  4. #4tonka2011-10-09 13:57

    please tell me you didnt work for western states in LV did ya?

  5. #5KSSS2011-10-09 15:06

    I have lost count with the number of companies and guys that have gone to ND from Eastern Idaho. Housing is an issue as mentioned, weather in the Winter sucks, but the pay is killer. If your willing to work hard there are some opportunities to be had there. I find it hard to believe that they continue to absorb the amount of people migrating there. Its likely the brightest spot in the Country for work and pay, but you would think that they would reach a people saturation point, apparently they just keep sinking wells out there because they keep bringing in more people. A couple more cold weather suggestions, if you don't have synthetic in your pickup and a high CCA battery as well as a block heater I would consider it. Miss work and they are on to the next guy.

  6. #6xcavater2011-10-09 21:10

    Capriati. They have unlimited bonding power.

  7. #7xcavater2011-12-29 10:55

    I am back from williston I made it up there in mid nov. I flew in to Phoenix on dec.24th for 8 days with my family. It is as advertised up there. Tons of work good pay and a mild winter so far. One of the best decisions i have made in a long time. happy New Year guys Will post pics soon

  8. #8da'yoop2011-12-29 12:12

    Congrats.........I hope things continue to go good for you.

  9. #9DINGLE12011-12-29 14:28

    i just signed in so i am new here, i was think of heading to williston but every one i talk to said to wait til spring. i am not worried about cold.who are the best people to to contact up there any thing would be helpful

  10. #10Minus272011-12-29 16:48

    I just registered in this forum. I believe a blolck heater and 4WD vehicle is necessary to live in a cold and snowing area.

  11. #11grandpa2011-12-29 20:21

    pssssf.... you could get by with shorts this winter....lol

  12. #12Minus272011-12-29 20:30

    I was wishing a brown Christmas when it was in November. The wish comes true.

  13. #13xcavater2011-12-29 22:32

    it has worked out better then expected. Thanks

  14. #14NewHampshireKid2011-12-30 02:42

    xcavater i was also considering driving up there to look for work.did you have something lined up before you went or did you just find something when you got there??i would really like to leave in the next 3-4 weeks.what do you think??

  15. #15xcavater2011-12-30 11:23

    I would make sure you have the right gear for cold weather. Clothing 4x4 fifth wheel plenty of money or credit card. you can usually stay in wal mart for a week or so before they tag your trailer. waiting list for all rv spots in williston. you can sometimes find a spot in Ray ,Tioga,watford city, or other random places in the area. People that own property have spots on their land more often than not. Also it is supposed to get very cold Jan Feb.

  16. #16xcavater2011-12-30 11:26

    I did not have anything lined up before i went. We had a 30ft 5th wheel the skills and want for a job.

  17. #17Ditchdigger2012-01-01 10:07

    Whats the pay scale like up there for operators and lead men?

  18. #18stumpjumper832012-01-01 10:33

    I almost packed up the excavator, skid steer, dump, and f-350 and headed for boom town, still might...

  19. #19xcavater2012-01-01 11:01

    Of course it dependswho you work for here ares some numbers . Every one works 70 or more hours a week atleast. Operators the low 20$ an hour the high 30$ someplaces put you up in a man camp. Some give You no per diem. Outfit i work for pays 100 a day per diem plus 2 hours a day drive time. The range of per diem ive heard is 35 a day up to135 a day

  20. #20Ditchdigger2012-01-01 13:13

    I have my own excavator and track loader and some other equipment. Do you know if there are any contracting opportunities there?

  21. #21xcavater2012-01-01 14:26

    The ground is frozen this time of year so excavaters bigger than 20 tons are what people want. As far as contracting for somebody i cant really help you out with that because ive only been there about 6 weeks and 99% of that time was spent working. It would probably be worth it to go up there for a week and look and see what you can find out.

  22. #22Auctioneerhere2012-01-01 21:39

    If you can't find housing, look to the Miles City, MT area. Still some left here.

  23. #23DIRTROAD2012-01-02 20:05

    Good Grief Man!!! Did you make the judge mad or something? I hope that's for very many multiple children.