Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Work Pants

cuttin edge ยท 2021-05-19 19:50

What's your favorite? I used to wear the dickies work pant, but thanks to my expanding waistband, The crotch too often became open if I stepped up or down without pulling up on the leg. Switched to a cheap Walmart jean. Normally on sale for around 10 bucks a pair. They fade fast, but can get a summer out of 3 pairs if I wash them every day. Once again my growing gut is pushing me to a new option, better get out walking in the mornings again. Saw a guy at work today, one of the carpenters, he had a dandy pair of cat work pants, but as with all the cat logo stuff, they were a hundred bucks a pair. Going to need some new boots this year as well. Hate boot shopping. After a discussion on here last year, I did switch to wool socks and never looked back

Replies34
  1. #1Willie B2021-05-19 20:56

    My grandfather had a spinal injury as a child, he was about 5'2". Upper torso was a big man, legs were short. He could carry a side of beef! I had no spinal injury. What's my excuse? I'm a bit taller (once 5'9" before I shrunk an inch) I can't find pants that fit. I need some waist size, but I'm not fat. I once wore 32-30 jeans. Pants in my waist size look like balloons everywhere else. Room to smuggle pillows in seat & legs. I'll follow this thread. I got little to offer, but I too hope for answers.

  2. #2cuttin edge2021-05-19 21:18

    My brother is 6'4", his son is 6'8, his daughter is 6'2. Two of my sisters are over 6 feet, and so are the 2 boys of one of them. My oldest sister is 5'5. and I am 5'9. Before I became an operator, I was 160 pounds. Now I need a 40 waist, and a 29 leg. I will go naked before I go to sweat pants for work

  3. #3Old Doug2021-05-19 21:22

    I like the walmart wranglers and get ok life out of them. I have some ruslers also but they fit difrent tighter and i havent been wearing them i was about to get rid of them but cents i have been living at the farm with my parents my eating habits have changed now they fit ok.

  4. #4lantraxco2021-05-19 23:50

    Black Wranglers relaxed fit. Used to be 40/29 now 42/29. I have short legs with thick thighs. I actually at one point had to see a dermatologist for rashes on my thighs, he told me the hair was rubbed off from too tight pants, was Levis 501's back then, had to give them up. Love Carharts but too stiff and too spendy. I do have Carhart bibs for cold weather.

  5. #5suladas2021-05-20 00:51

    Stretchy jeans from costco, urban star I believe. I use to always rip the crotch out of mine but these last a lost longer. Like $15 a pair. I am really hard on my work clothes so it's better to go cheap. Jeans are one thing I can find easy, 6'5" but my legs are short. 34-36 waist 31-33 long easy to find. Shirts and jackets that fit properly, forget it. Every manufacture seems to think once something gets past XL they only need to make things bigger in the stomach, not the length or arms.

  6. #6lantraxco2021-05-20 01:20

    You have to order the talls, either Amazon or Walmart online.

  7. #7lantraxco2021-05-20 01:25

    By the way, not to hijack the thread, but I'm 62 and my feet have not changed in forty years at least... 9-1/2 triple E, or quad E if I could ever find any, but why do I now have to order my socks in the "Big and Tall" section? Normal cushion sole black crew socks are too tight now, I play hell getting one over my foot, and I have to turn the tops down on even the larger sizes, as they are too tight on my ankles above the boots. Damned Asian manufacturers ruin everything.

  8. #8Pettiboner2021-05-20 01:48

    Gotta watch them cheap Wranglers. Theyre a tad flammable. And if the flames dont get you, SLAPPING THEM OUT WILL!! Go with Carhartt

  9. #9lantraxco2021-05-20 01:52

    All pants will burn, anything with polyester in them will melt and burn, no thanks. The solution here obviously would be to keep one's most treasured tools either away from the hot spot, or well protected, kinda like they taught you in high school health class?

  10. #10Crummy2021-05-20 08:45

    Prison Blues Hickory shirts too

  11. #11Kiwi-truckwit2021-05-20 13:09

    I have a pair of Cat pants, find them brilliant. Good bit of stretch in them for when I'm climbing around.

  12. #12JBrady2021-05-20 17:03

    Carhartt double leg pants in denim or the traditional duck cloth. I also had a pair of Arborware pants that lasted for years. They were fantastic for tree climbing, roofing, crawling, etc. I also have about 4 thrift stores that I pop into when I have time and pick up decent Levis or wranglers for $5/pr.

  13. #13cuttin edge2021-05-20 19:43

    Jeans are not what they used to be. I find them thin or something. I used to live in Levis 501 blues

  14. #14suladas2021-05-20 19:55

    Tall sizes help, they need like double tall sizes. Years ago when I bought my first Carhartt hoodie they didn't have them, had to go with a 3XL, i'm not small in the stomach and it was a poncho, I bet if I had another 100lbs it would still be huge in the stomach and it took that big of a size to be big enough in the arms, shoulders, and length. I'm oddly shaped I guess, I don't even try to buy long sleeved shirts because it's impossible.

  15. #15Willie B2021-05-20 20:18

    Damn Tough! I'm serious, Damn Tough socks are made in VT. I go with two styles. I use the lighter with sole cushion & roll them down to the top of my boots summer. In winter I use the tall ones, they grip just below my knees & NEVER slip down.

  16. #16lantraxco2021-05-20 20:31

    They look good, but I don't see any in cotton... I've tried wool and just never could get used to it... Picky bitch ain't I?

  17. #17cuttin edge2021-05-20 21:09

    My mother is 83, and every now and then she turns out a pair of home made wool socks for me. Great in winter, but hot in summer. I went after wool socks after a conflab on here, and when I asked the guy in the store why would I want to pay thirty bucks for one pair of socks, he put them back and said it's all hype. He took me to a bin of the old white toe and heel gray work socks like my father wore. He said these are a wool blend, and if you don't like them, you have 60 days to return them. 3 pair for 20 bucks, I went back for more and wear them even when I am not working. Unless I go to mom's, then I wear her socks. There is a spot in Maine where they make wool blankets. My brother has one, it's nice, I'd like to get one.

  18. #18_Weldman_2021-05-20 21:17

    See my avatar on welding or grinding and having to worry about anything catching fire there For those cooler days I will say whatever is cheapest at Wally World does me just fine, whatever is on sale and black cause I will stain them within 48 hrs. with diesel, oil, or grease. Mine last me about 5 years. Unlike you guys I side towards the 30 inch waist or less.

  19. #19Tyler d4c2021-05-20 21:22

    Looks like Christmas chestnuts roasting over a open fire

  20. #20Pettiboner2021-05-21 00:47

    HahahahahahahhhhHHHHAAAAAA LOVE YOUR AVATAR SPUD. I Actually did do some "quick" welds last year without a shirt on. Next day I could not figure out where I got that damn sunburn in my chest from!!! DOH!

  21. #21Welder Dave2021-05-21 02:05

    Generally when welding you tend to want to finish the rod before stopping even if you catch on fire a little. The exception is when you're crotch is on fire!

  22. #22aighead2021-05-21 07:30

    I thought we had (or that I replied to this thread earlier...?). Anyway, I hate jeans. I haven't worn any in probably over 10 years. I don't like how squeezy they are in places, and the ones that are comfy don't seem to last and are expensive. I spent many years wearing track pants around and I loved it but I was also often working in a cleanroom, where that was ok attire, and I didn't need protection from much. Now, somehow I stumbled onto some Chinese (presumably) tactical cargo pant, branded CQR, on Cramazon , and they are amazing. I've bought probably 10 pairs over the past few years and they've only gotten better. At first there were some buttoning issues, but that was my only problem, which they've since fixed with a new design. These are rip-stop, stretchy in the waste, have more good pockets than I can use, and look pretty good. They do hold a stain, but if I'm really working in them I'm not too worried about that. I don't really care much about clothes but I can't be happier with a pant. They are a bit stiff when you first get them but a few washes later and they are good.

  23. #23_Weldman_2021-05-21 10:05

    Bet you next time you put some SPF 100 sunscreen lotion on, works great on all parts of the body when welding as such.

  24. #24Tarhe Driver2021-06-01 15:56

    Try wearing polypropylene sock liners (under-socks, if you will) under your regular socks. The liners wick moisture away from the feet, tending to keep feet warm in winter and cool in summer. I sometimes find them in sporting goods in WalMart during hunting season. Usually white, but I've found in navy.

  25. #25Truck Shop2021-06-01 16:01

    Any pants that will handle a good fart are acceptable.

  26. #26Welder Dave2021-06-01 16:43

    But you can never trust a fart!

  27. #27Truck Shop2021-06-01 18:46

    Wisdom from life experiences.

  28. #28Welder Dave2021-06-01 19:11

    Especially now and having chemo. All bets are off.

  29. #29Willie B2021-06-01 19:13

    You are a sick, sick person.

  30. #30Walker12021-06-01 19:35

    I wonder, did your older siblings ever talk about the mailman being a different guy at some point?

  31. #31cuttin edge2021-06-01 21:11

    Mom's family are all on the tall side, and my father's crowd tend to be closer to the 5 foot mark. I think my daughter is going to favor mom's side. She's already close to being as tall as her mother. She's only 10, and they can almost share footwear.

  32. #32cuttin edge2021-06-01 21:14

    As a follow up, I dug out a walmart brand of painter pants that I bought years ago. They are like a duck cloth material, but they are tan in color. I found them cooler than jeans, but they would never stay tan for long.

  33. #33Tugger22021-06-01 22:11

    Whatever happened to Red Strap jeans, they even had suspender buttons on them. Now its achallenge just to find the buttons .

  34. #34Ben House2021-06-13 23:05

    Once I began making enough money to buy decent clothes I started buying Carhart pants and jackets. I am 6 foot tall but I wear a 38x29 or 28 and a half in the leg. Short legs and a tall body, I like the canvas pants they seem to last a couple years. There is a mom and pop store near me called Hammers that sells Carhart fairly cheap, and I have the legs hemmed by a seamstress in town here. The needlework costs me $7 a pair, about once a year I buy 3 or four pairs.