Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Work photos

ship 660 ยท 2016-06-22 20:01

740 in need of some overdue service Still have a 10,000 hour service to do and a few other minor repairs

Replies61
  1. #1ship 6602016-06-22 20:21

    Another 740 with troubles had number 1 injector go out. Electronics where fine but something internal went south

  2. #2ship 6602016-06-22 20:27

    Yet another 740 trouble. Guess when the guy has 12 of these trucks I should get use to working on them daily. Remindes me of the old 627's i use to work on all the time. I tell the owner these things are as bad as scrapers He just laughs and says they have to be better then the scrapers. This is the 6th CAC I have put on these trucks in the past year. They have a bad habit of getting holes rubbed in them from the plastic housing.

  3. #3ship 6602016-06-22 20:31

    Something different. Wacker trench compactor bolts came loose on drive motor. Parts have been on back order for 2 weeks now.

  4. #4ship 6602016-06-22 20:37

    Steering cylinder rebuild on cs563. Still have platform isolators to install when they arrive from wherever they are in the US.

  5. #5ship 6602016-06-22 22:35

    Driver said lost power

  6. #6ship 6602016-06-22 22:39

    showed signs of low boost pressure. took me a little while to actually find it.

  7. #7hvy 1ton2016-06-23 00:04

    What's funny is it's pretty easy to hear a boot let go, and you know the boost gauge will show a goose egg. Is that a pile of dirt in the turbine housing? Blades look thrashed too.

  8. #8lantraxco2016-06-23 00:06

    That's the hot side innit? Turbine is "knackered"

  9. #9ship 6602016-06-23 08:04

    Yes exhaust side. Lot of soot. I checked the fuel system didn't find any problems, checked compressor wheel looked good finaly checked exhaust and found this. Blades where trashed but didn't see where anything went through.

  10. #10quackattak2016-06-23 10:17

    You probably see 740's in your sleep, did a bunch of work to a old DJB/Cat D25c a few years back, seemed like a good setup, last I heard it's still running.

  11. #11ship 6602016-06-23 18:40

    911 whats the emergency? Boom broke on 450 and need new undershorts for both operators!!!! Help is on the way. Never seen one break behind the pins. Got it welded so we could get bucket out of truck and move to a better location. Owner ordered a replacement should be here next week.

  12. #12ship 6602016-06-23 18:44

    Little bit of dump truck repair. Driver said he almost turned it over.

  13. #13ship 6602016-06-23 18:49

    Yes, quackattak sometimes I have dreams 740's are chasing my service truck with drivers rattling about everything that's wrong with their trucks. OH, sorry that's not a dream that is every day at work.

  14. #14ship 6602016-06-23 20:40

    little side job for a friend, needed a radiator and water pump. Hope I dont have to do very many of these water pumps again. What a PIA!!!

  15. #15ship 6602016-06-23 20:42

    Hobby farmer only uses tractor a few times a year. The rest of the time sits outside in the weather.

  16. #16lantraxco2016-06-23 20:58

    Biofuel or Corn oil? That's just nasty

  17. #17hvy 1ton2016-06-23 21:02

    That is an odd place for a boom to break. It does happen though.

  18. #18JBGASH2016-06-23 21:16

    Ship, where you located? I am in Higginsville, of which is 50 min east of KC MO. Do you travel this distance ?

  19. #19ship 6602016-06-23 21:44

    I'm located in Kearney North of KC. I'm a school teacher 9 months out of the year and work for this guy in the summer and on weekends. I don't generally have to work for anyone else since he has more then enough to keep me busy so I don't travel out that way much. Most of his quarries are in Kansas so I travel I35 alot.

  20. #20ship 6602016-06-23 21:48

    Lantrax- that is rust in the pump. When I drained the tank it had a lot of water in it. I told him to park it in a barn or lean tube or cover it with a tarp but he is going to have to do something if he wants it to last. Drained the trans and diff while I was at it. Noticed the rubber boot around shifter was gone and suspected it had water getting in it too. Yep the oil came out a milky white.

  21. #21lantraxco2016-06-23 22:04

    Looked to me like the top plate popped straight across at a butt joint, hard to tell from the pictures though. Had a Mitsubishi 280 stick open up backside top of the stick to boom pin casting. Probably an 1-1/4" deep vee joint single pass robot welded... had about a fingernail width of penetration right at the bottom of the vee, and again right at the surface. Otherwise the weld laid in against the casting totally cold like you troweled it in with a putty knife. I attributed it to a lack of preheat at the time.

  22. #22lantraxco2016-06-23 22:09

    Gotcha. That's a sad thing there.

  23. #23ship 6602016-06-23 22:11

    I couldn't say for sure why it broke. Beats on rock everyday could be part of it. It has been cracked for a long time the fracture was rusted in several spots and the boom has a lot of water in it. I'm sure the operator don't inspect every part of the machine daily (lucky to get them to check oil and coolant) What gets me is he couldn't see the water coming out of the crack.

  24. #24ship 6602016-06-28 19:19

    Just another day in the field. Operator stated the A/C don't work wanted to know if I could come charge it? I asked if he smelled anything burning?

  25. #25ship 6602016-06-28 19:23

    740 Brake adjust. Not a bad job just takes awhile to get guards off.

  26. #26ship 6602016-06-28 19:26

    Installing some steering cylinder bearings and pins.

  27. #27catfixer2016-06-29 17:24

    ever do any stomping around SEK?

  28. #28ship 6602016-06-29 19:31

    Not very often. I stay around KC most of the time. I go as far South as Ottawa just because I have to travel to a quarry a few miles North of there. In the past have been as far South as Hutch.

  29. #29ship 6602016-06-30 22:00

    spent the day drilling out broken bolts. Tailgate got ripped off and had to drill out all 8 bolts.

  30. #30ship 6602016-06-30 22:04

    Next weeks project rolling into the yard. Main boom broke last week and the replacement came in yesterday so time to get started.

  31. #31lantraxco2016-06-30 23:40

    Safety Chain for the mag drill!!!! LOL

  32. #32kshansen2016-07-01 08:17

    Looks like at least three things should have stopped working with that mess! Did he have a dozen "air fresheners" in the cab? Should have been able to smell that one 20 feet away!

  33. #33ship 6602016-07-01 19:35

    I was wondering how long it would be before someone made a comment on the safety strap when I posted the pic. Yes I am guilty of not playing it safe 100% of the time. Would have taken a little longer to weld a bolt to side and put strap on but you never know when something might happen (power goes out, someone unplugs cord, breaker pops) I should have done it just to be safe.

  34. #34ship 6602016-07-01 19:39

    I agree Kshansen. I don't know what the other 2 circuits are that went out with the A/C but will find out soon. I disconnected them and put an in-line fuse in the A/C. Ordered a new fuse box but like normal wasn't in stock and will be a couple days before it arrives.

  35. #35cb752016-07-01 19:41

    What brand mag drill is that?

  36. #36cb752016-07-01 19:44

    One more question if ya don't mind, what series 740 trucks are you working on? Are they AXM, B1P or something newer ? Thanks

  37. #37ship 6602016-07-01 19:48

    I can't remember the brand of the mag drill, I know it has a hitachi motor but I will check on the brand when I get back from the lake. Most of the trucks are B1P but he has 4 newer models that are still under CAT warranty so I don't even touch them except for minor repairs. Not sure on their S/N

  38. #38ship 6602016-07-01 19:51

    Just looked at receipt for mag drill. It is a COB industries. Not real familiar with the brand. I bought it off of E-bay for around $300. Can't complain about it has good power even with 1 1/2 annular cutter.

  39. #39cb752016-07-01 20:26

    Thanks for the reply. Needing a new mag drill, just starting to check on prices and models.

  40. #40lantraxco2016-07-01 21:31

    I bought a Bluerock off Ebay, cheap, don't expect it to last forever, but has made LOTS of holes in pretty tough steel and still going three years later.

  41. #41ship 6602016-07-06 20:06

    Removed bucket and decided to go ahead and line bore and weld stick. Wasn't much of a decision after seeing bushing.

  42. #42ship 6602016-07-06 20:08

    Got stick in the shop to prepare for boring and welding. About all this hoe wants to handle.

  43. #43ship 6602016-07-06 20:13

    Got started on the bore job should finish it up tomorrow. Still need to weld and face sides then on to the bucket.

  44. #44clintm2016-07-06 20:39

    do you like that line boring set up

  45. #45ship 6602016-07-06 20:52

    I do like the BRS system clintm. I haven't ran many other types of line bores but have got use to this one. After many hours of running the same machine you get use to the quirks. I really like the bore welder. Some people make claims they can hand weld faster then putting on a bore welder but I have a hard time believing that after seeing how nice of a job the 408 does. I will post some pics tomorrow of the finished welds and let others decide for themselves. The main complaint with the whole set up is you buy consumables from BRS. I haven't found anyone else selling tips or shields for the welder. I do run carbide replacement tips in my cutting tools. This machine might not be the top pick but for the price it's what I got. After a few runs you know about how long it will take to set up, cut, weld, cut, clean up and put away.

  46. #46clintm2016-07-06 21:17

    Thanks, I have been looking at set up's for a while now can't find a used one so will have to get a new one I guess.

  47. #47ship 6602016-07-06 22:04

    Yes used systems are hard to find. Alot of good info on boring systems on this site. You have probably seen this link but it has some good info if you are looking to buy a new set up. HeavyEquipmentForums

  48. #48ship 6602016-07-06 22:13

    I looked at those bluerock mag drills too Lantrax. I asked around about them and not many people had them or said good or bad about them. Most people just told me not to waste my time and buy a jancey or milwaukee. The price does look appealing. I probably use the mag drill 50-60 times a year so it's not like a daily use tool. Had this one for about 1 1/2 years now and still going strong.

  49. #49lantraxco2016-07-07 01:04

    Yeah, if I had a fab shop or structural steel crew I would probably go Jancy, or maybe one of the european mid level machines. For what I do and figuring I can get a replacement in a couple days if this one burns out, I'm happy. This is actually the third Chinese made one I've bought, the first two were at a company I worked for. The first one worked for a couple years and started sounding tired so we picked up another of the same brand since we were getting busier anyway. When they closed the doors a couple years later the guys in the shop "adopted" them, they were still going if a bit loose.

  50. #50ship 6602016-07-07 19:52

    I snapped a few pics of the finished welds from the 408. Total weld time was just over 10 minutes. I didnt keep track of total set up time but couldn't have been much over 20 minutes. If a guy can hand weld both sides this good and in 30 minutes to an hour I would be impressed.

  51. #51StanRUS2016-07-08 10:12

    Hi ship660, Your face weld, looks like 3 adjustment to the face weld attachment???? When you have time could post a photo of BRS face weld attachment; trying to get spec's from BRS is like pulling teeth out of mad lion...they estimate you'll need 6-8 inches mounting space between the work surface & attachment. BRS does make an adapter to interface their face weld attachment to Climax Dozer borewelders Thanks

  52. #52ship 6602016-07-08 19:34

    I will get some photos of the face weld attachment on Monday StanRUS. I will say I am not overly impressed with the face weld attachment. It does require a lot of space to mount adjustments take awhile to get just right. In my opnion it is very heavy for the 408i so travel speed changes as it goes up and down. The auto feed seems to have a lot of tolerance to it as well. I can say by the time you set it up make all of the adjustments a guy can hand weld faster on diameters under 6-8 inch. Over that it might be faster but I cant say because most everything I do is under 8 inch. Most of the time I hand weld, grind down the higher spots and put on the facing attachment so it looks pretty and is true.

  53. #53ship 6602016-07-12 22:28

    StanRUS. Here is a pic of the face welding attachment. It does require a lot of space to turn this thing and adjustments are kind of a pain.

  54. #54StanRUS2016-07-13 02:17

    Thanks Ship660 I think BRS's unit is still patent protected, so we'll start off with Climax-Bortech face weld adapter & modify to reduce the required working space... Example photos HeavyEquipmentForums Thank again for your time to post the photo!!!

  55. #55ship 6602016-07-28 21:12

    Kind of a boring day in the shop

  56. #56ship 6602017-03-07 18:52

    Been awhile since I posted some work. It has been a busy winter and looks like spring is going to be just as busy. Pretty mild weather and a lot of work makes for 7 day work week.

  57. #57ship 6602017-03-07 18:58

    a few more

  58. #58ship 6602017-03-07 19:13

    and a few more

  59. #59ship 6602017-03-18 16:23

    Few for the week.

  60. #60ship 6602017-03-18 16:30

    a few more

  61. #61ship 6602017-03-18 16:35

    and a few more