Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Work Truck Rate???

STC73 · 2011-02-16 23:48

Hey guys, i just wanted to see what/if you guys charge for your trucks. 1) P/U Truck- Outfitted with (some) tools, Shovels, ETC.,Tool boxes,Headache rack, Air comp., Fuel tank. 2) Service/Crew Truck Outfitted with most ALL necessary tools, Full Utility bed, Rack, Air Comp., Welder, Generator, Fuel tank, ETC. Any other classifications you guys can think of would be great too, THANKS!!

Replies9
  1. #1joispoi2011-02-17 11:36

    The only time I charged for my pickup was when I was hauling something for a customer. I can´t remember off hand what the exact rate was, but I charged man hours for myself and something like $20/hr on the truck. The way I see it, unless a truck is being used for hauling something, it´s a support vehicle only. It´s part of overhead. IMO, you´re better off figuring out what your trucks are costing you to own and maintain and add that into your work rate on your trucks and equipment.

  2. #2DavidBlaine2011-02-17 12:33

    I agree. Figure out your equipment cost first. Rates should be based on that. Nadeem

  3. #3farmerleach2011-02-17 14:39

    Some guys around here who use their personal truck for hauling fuel to the equipment that they run get $100 per day. This is Oil patch work. I don't know how their employer would bill that out, I would assume that it is calculated into the cost of the machine.

  4. #4digger242j2011-02-17 17:16

    If you're bidding a job, ok. There are some situations though, like emergency repair jobs for utility companies, where billing is by time and material. Is your truckload of tools just considered overhead in that case?

  5. #5CM19952011-02-17 21:57

    The anticipated support equipment to complete the emergency repair should be included in the hourly rate for a repair crew. On the other hand, I guess it depends on how they want you to break down the cost per hour for emergency repairs.:beatsme

  6. #6digger242j2011-02-17 23:37

    Maybe we need some clarification on the opening post. By "charge", do you mean include as a number when working up a bid, or do you mean that it's an actual line item that appears on an invoice?

  7. #7mitch5042011-02-18 00:32

    I see three likely scenarios: 1. A contractor using his equipment to do a job, and the p'up or service truck is there in support of his equipment, the tools are being used on his stuff; thus, it is overhead. 2. A contractor is doing a job, such as the utility repair, and the tools are being used on the customer's stuff; for this type job I charge $75/hr for a service truck and 1 man, though this is not the way I normally work. 3. An operator is using his personal truck, in this scenario I guess it would depend on the value to the employer, in other words how much the truck was actually being used, or how much it's presence has the potential to save the employer in case of a breakdown. I don't do this much, but when it comes up, I usually just give the operator some fuel.

  8. #8STC732011-02-27 04:02

    Im just asking because i know other companies charge for their trucks around here at an hourly rate. Mitch504 #2 comment probably wraps it up best for my description. I also know of guys charging for his #3 which im not sure if that could be justified, thats why im just asking what you guys think or charge if so...

  9. #9Colorado Digger2011-02-27 20:32

    for t and m ,we used to get $45.00 a day for a 1 ton with tools and fuel. those days are over. for a 1 ton with trailer it is $125.00 per day. the service truck runs $85.00 an hour. i love working time and materials. but those days are over. everything is fixed price. lump sum, unlimited scope. we will not let operaters use their trucks with fuel tanks to get to work becuase of liablity and fuel loss.