I'am looking to plow for the state or local municipaity for next years season. In order to be considered I need a back up driver on file and workers comp for them. I know that I dont need comp for me but, I was wondering how workers comp works for "under the table" employees? Or if in order for workers comp to work, the employees would have to be on the books. The back up driver would be only if I cant work so they wont get many hours. So any help from someone that already deals with this would be good thank you
Ok, workers comp is what alot of people are trying to avoid by hiring under the table. Here is what i'd do, check with a temp agency. Maybe they can provide you with a temporary labor solution in the event that you cant do it. You might be able to send your choice person to the temp agency and do it that way. Now, here is my take on the snow removal game, it isn't a bad thing to do it you owe the bank and you have nothing better to do all winter and snow is falling every other day. Here is reality, snow is not guarenteed, a have seen people spend 10k putting a plow on an ag tractor only to have it set in the shed all winter. Snow is hard on equipment, alot of the time your working all night long with low visibility in an area that you are not familiar with. You run a real chance of racking up a big tow bill when you get stuck. Not to take the wind out of your sails, but you might be better off finding something to fix in the shop for the winter.
Your best bet is to talk to the CT DOL and ask them what the policy is for part time employees and go legit. The workers' comp. documentation requirement that you've been asked to procure is part of the screening process to avoid operations such as yours, with "under the table" workers - no offense. If there were to be the slightest mishap with an "off the books" driver at the wheel, it's your feet that will be held to the fire. And despite all that money you've paid to your insurance company, you'll find them to be no help, fwiw.
No offense taken that is what I put this up for is to get peoples imput on the situation. I will have to talk to the DOL I have looked at the state statut es and trying to read through those is not my idea of fun. but from what i did get out of it is that all employees full or part time must be covered under workers comp. So thats pretty much my anwswer is have to get it
I think you'd be further ahead to sub contract with either someone that plows parking lots or works for the municipality if you really want to do that. Parking lot owners don't like any snow on their lots so the lots get plowed every time it snows. I work for our local county highway authority and we only call on our contractors if it snows 4 inches or more. That lets it get packed down good. We then want quick service, no complaints from the public and you have to be "low bid". They don't necessarily go together
In CT for the DOT everyone who bids wins the contract and everyone bids the same maximum with a guarantee of $7500 for the winter so you can't lose if you have the trucks to put on. We have two on this winter and one spare. As far as workmans comp for your situation you might try the temp thing.
Off topic, but I just noticed what town you're from. I could really go for a red potato pie from Willington Pizza.
I second that, they make a good pie. Sorry to wander off topic, i couldn't resist...
that is the best pie they make, we always get that. one thing to try is half loaded red potatoe and half cheeseburger. mmm mmm good
I think I may have to make a road trip when I head back for Christmas.
Yes I have looked at the CT DOT contracts and that is probaly what I was going to go for. So I just wanted to iron out the workers comp thing so I dont screw myself. I will probaly just get the coverage because the drivers that would cover for me would only get a few hours a season so I dont think the comp insurance would be to expensive. And put the drivers on the books
thats the best way to go, its way more expensive but you are covered if something was to happen. there is a reason they require you to be above board. Good Luck! What are you guys running for trucks? I think we need to see some pics!
I dont have any trucks yet, I' am planning on starting this for next season. So I plan on picking up 1 or 2 early 90's S/A dumps in the spring, preferably ford or inter. staring off so need to start small