Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Working in the Heat

Zewnten · 2023-08-13 19:09

Having worked in the Southwest for awhile and occasional summer Houston job also I thought I could acclimate decently to the humidity of Kansas summer, not so much. Last job was down in a gravel pit in full sun standing in water. Truck dash said it was 108 F at 4 PM and probably very high humidity. Umbrella, long sleeve shirt, some special wicking under layer to help keep sweating, a cold water neck thing, cool water. none of it seemed matter, just too hot to be working for any length of time. So what do you guys do not to keel over with heat stroke. Company has had several people get heat sick this summer.

Replies108
  1. #1Vetech632023-08-13 19:22

    I will keep my truck idling with the ac on. I know it’s not good on the truck but Ide rather the truck die than me. I also plan no day or short day on temps over 100. Ill be 60 next month and I just can’t take the heat like I used too

  2. #2DMiller2023-08-13 19:25

    Get to 66 and a few dozen pounds overweight, Heat beats me like a drum!!

  3. #3crane operator2023-08-13 20:18

    I just had a customer want to maybe get a screen deck Friday afternoon, at 3:00 for a start time. With a 105 heat index in a quarry pit. I just told him we could start Saturday morning or Monday morning. First of June we start at 6 and quit at 2:30. We’ll probably stay at that until late August/ early September. The biggest help for me is if I have a fan. I won’t wear the fancy wicking shirts, I think they are like wearing a trash bag and are hot. Cotton shirt for me, and if it’s full sun I don’t mind having sleeves. I don’t like going in and out of the a/c. If I’m between jobs or out in the pickup, I might turn the a/c on, but leave the windows open. I want to get out in the early morning, stay out in it until I’m done for the day, and I like a meat locker atmosphere at the house until morning. 4:30 in a quarry pit is asking for someone to get sick.

  4. #4crane operator2023-08-13 20:21

    It helps me also if I look at Tulsa weather. Those poor guys are always 5 degrees warmer than we are. Makes me feel better.

  5. #5JD955SC2023-08-13 20:43

    Frequent breaks, tons of water and electrolyte replacement drinks or supplements, fans, and seek or make shade. I have lived my entire life in the heat and humidity. It’s no fun but it’s survivable.

  6. #6Birken Vogt2023-08-13 21:02

    First light, and I mean very first light, showing up with headlights on, which right now is 4-something, until the early afternoon, if the heat is bad enough.

  7. #7Truck Shop2023-08-13 21:12

    100* in a wheat field is no fun either, the dust mixed with sweat becomes a coating. I don't run the A/C very much, getting out then back in a cold cab isn't good on me. I just drink allot of water, like about 6 or 7 16oz. But the worst thing is any fluid with sugar. There is no shade in a 1000 acre wheat field except under the hopper trailer and once that heats up it's like setting under a roaster. Hell I lost 10 lbs since harvest started, only eat 1/2 sandwich, vegetables and tangerines.

  8. #8Truck Shop2023-08-13 21:22

    One thing to remember-If you ain't pi$$in you ain't drinking enough good fluids, **** should look like light lemonade not dark.

  9. #9thepumpguysc2023-08-14 01:39

    A cheap beach umbrella stuck anywhere u can for shade.. A Walmart 10’ canapy w the 4 legs.. saved my life a bunch of times.. Start at daybreak and knock off at 2 or 3:00.. Place I use to work would allow the engine builders to come in at 10 pm and work until they wanted to in the AM.. Heat index for the last 3 days was 112-114*.!!!

  10. #10Pony2023-08-14 07:36

    As others have said the biggest thing I have noticed is age. I'm mid fifties and I've really noticed it the last 5 is so years, before that didn't mind the heat, but now it's getting really hard to go all day.

  11. #11CM19952023-08-14 08:05

    We have a couple 10x10 tailgate tents for the job site In each job box. Pop it up over the back of the truck and provides a shady place to cool off and look at plans etc. Also have a couple of 18 v Milwaukee fans that can move some air and decent on batteries. Plenty of water and electrolytes and don’t over do it. Lived in AL my whole life and the end of summer sucks.

  12. #12mks2023-08-14 08:20

    I find a 50/50 mix of Gatorade and water to be about right for me.

  13. #13DMiller2023-08-14 08:32

    I carry a old style Water Cask if going to be out in heat for long durations HERE, Ice and bottles of Power Ade ZERO(NO Sugar) in with the water, after water stops quenching then pop a PA, when those fail get to a shade spot or the barn or the shop and STOP for awhile.

  14. #14Truck Shop2023-08-14 08:34

    One other thing cool your radiator if possible-carry ice packs in your cooler, place on wrists it's a quick way to cool the blood. Running cold water over wrists works well.

  15. #15thepumpguysc2023-08-14 08:44

    Those cooling towels are a 10 in my book.!!

  16. #16CM19952023-08-14 08:55

    We buy the Propel no sugar packets in bulk and have boxes in all the trucks. 1 bottle water then 1 bottle water with Propel. Makes a big difference over water alone.

  17. #17DMiller2023-08-14 12:32

    Have done the Propel stuff here as well, use the old Power Ade bottles. Works a charm.

  18. #18sled dog2023-08-14 12:57

    I like a tablespoon or so of apple cider vinegar with a glass or bottle of water. Quenches the thirst and vinegar helps replace the electrolytes. I found an old hayfield drink called switchel, but haven't mixed any yet.

  19. #19mks2023-08-14 13:21

    I have read about this don’t recall where. As I recall there are lots of veins in the wrists and hands that allow easy transfer of heat. I have noticed when I remember to wear nitrile gloves I begin to sweat quickly on warmer days.

  20. #20DMiller2023-08-14 14:14

    One of our associate Operators scratched his hand in a structure known to forever remain wet and mildewed, requested a Tetanus Shot as was old Rusted steel on a railing that got him. IMMEDIATELY a "Gloves On Person" rule went out to everyone In Plant, one Shift Supervisor got mad when I went to the Turbine Building Gloves In Pocket. He stood there telling me Gloves On Person Meant ON THE HANDS, looked at him and explained that very point, 105 in the building that day, I was NOT going to stroke out over his bad Interpretation. Ten minutes of tirades and threatening me with Discipline the Safety Officer shows up, Gloves in pocket, I waved a hand at him for My boss to peruse. He then committed the Ultimate Sin, Yelled at the Safety office, who then went into the Rule and how the are Required to Be ON YOUR PERSON, Not until Working to be On Your Hands and agreed he was being too far left field. MADE the Supervisor apologize, did not earn me any points. Nevertheless he stayed away from me from then on.

  21. #21thepumpguysc2023-08-14 15:16

    I had to make an emergency visit do to heat exhaustion once upon a time.. They taped ice bags on both wrists, gave me one to hold on my neck and this old hag wound up and laid down a perfect STRIKE in the ol’gonads.!!! I laughed and cried at the same time.. we had everyone in that room laughing so hard they could barely get me feeling better.. 5 hrs later I was heading home, feeling like a million bucks.. 1 word of warning tho.. To much ice on the front & back of the neck can send u into shock.. so b careful with that.. Oh.. they pumped so much IV JUICE in me, both arms, i couldn’t make it to the b room.. hadta use the plastic bottle SEVERAL TIMES.. how embarrassing..

  22. #22Birken Vogt2023-08-14 22:57

    Sometimes I find when I have been working crouched in the heat, when I stand up I just about pass out and have to grab hold of something to stay upright. That is always my cue to drink a bunch more water, figure the volume is getting low. Today was a very merciful day, was wearing black clothes because I was disassembling an engine (under cover) but outside it was cloudy so even though 90 degrees, no direct sunlight most of the day. Relative humidity 30% at 96 degrees, we think that is humid here but I know it is nothing to those who live where things stay green.

  23. #2392U 34062023-08-14 23:15

    If tomorrow is as hot as today I think I'll be free ballin' it in my coveralls.

  24. #24terex herder2023-08-15 06:41

    To much information.

  25. #25Vetech632023-08-15 09:20

    Marbles can't free ball or they fall out your pants leg.

  26. #2692U 34062023-08-15 09:25

    I've never enjoyed working in the heat. Even 28°C is pushing it.

  27. #27stinky642023-08-15 10:52

    I actually prefer 28F to 88F would rather be bundled up than sweating my nads off.

  28. #28Mike L2023-08-15 14:17

    Having shade is huge for me. I’ve got a 10’ umbrella and I built a mount for the tip of my crane and also another mount to put umbrella in the trailer hitch. I usually start early but the humidity is way worse until about 9 am. I’ve got a Milwaukee fan to move some air as well. I alternate between water and propel and I drink more than 10-12 bottles a day but still rarely urinate more than a couple times a day. I don’t typically leave the truck running because I tend to feel worse going from one to the other. I’ve tried the cooling towel on my neck and it’s refreshing but it isn’t worth a s*** when crawling around underneath something. I also cuss like a sailor but I can’t tell if It helps or not.

  29. #29Tony Wells2023-08-15 22:23

    Some of the guys at the mulch plant wear a vest that has Velcro attached gel-packs that are kept ready in the office freezer. They don't last that long (couple of hours?), but there are several spares ready at all times. I don't use one, but the guys that do swear by them. We are seeing 105-106 and 85%+ humidity. Heat indices in the 114-115 range. They don't seem too bulky, so might be worth a try. Not sure where they came from. Company provided. Also on hand are Body Armor, Propel, various soft drinks (bad idea IMHO) and lots of water. And of all things, an assortment of energy drinks. It's hard to believe they help with heat issues. But someone is drinking them. Most of these guys aren't wrenches, but are cooped up in loaders and machines without working AC's. It's so dry the dust is unbearable, and a few of the machines either have missing glass, or all the glass which makes them like a hothouse. I don't see how they stand it. Most are younger, so that has to factor in. I just stay in the shade as much as possible and hope for a breeze....and when the dust blows my way I still have my Covid mask. Or I just go home and come back in the morning.

  30. #30Birken Vogt2023-08-16 01:10

    I don't like moving around an ez-up so I just carry a wide straw hat and a long sleeve light colored cotton shirt with me. When I have to work in full sun I just put them on. Nothing fancy but keeps the sun off like a mobile tent. I also don't like sunscreen so that is what I use.

  31. #31DMiller2023-08-16 05:44

    Chuckling to myself. Can remember my Great Uncle Ben, the ofhers in that farm family, then as I started as Mechanic, nearly every older male had long sleeves on dead of summer. Women had arms covered as well where either dresses or dress tucked into Bibs had long sleeves. Mechanics wore a ball cap or those old Canvas full narrow brim hats and farmers either in wide brim felt or straw. My Grandfathers both wore Stetson Fedoras all year. The magic of a little cooler under a tractor umbrella out on a field dragging a disc or cultivator made a world of difference. My old service truck had a 12x12 tarp, creeper, cover, wet or sharp buffer. Had that until day I sold truck. Edit add. Do not ever remember swapping from long to short sleeve uniforms or coveralls as was mechanic, even at the nuke I wore a Tshirt and a Long Sleeve shirt nearly every day. Still have a few of those work shirts company provided. Use them for work shirts around here.

  32. #32Birken Vogt2023-08-16 09:10

    My grandfather would burn brush piles in summer out in green pastures, wore a jean jacket while working because it insulated him from the heat of the fire. He also wore stetson hats. Wore long sleeve button up shirts the rest of the time working his tractor business, etc., I know the look. Pearl buttons/snaps. I was a firefighter when younger, of course we wore long sleeve shirts at all times so I just got used to it. When working for the state of California they wanted you to wear long sleeve cotton shirts under your long sleeve Nomex shirt for burn potential, I always said no thanks to that though. But pants were always double layer at the time, Nomex pants went over regular pants. Working for the Feds you wore regular pants that were made of Nomex, one layer only pants and shirt sleeves. That was cooler to work in. A few years back Ca state finally saw the light and went to single layer pants and shirt. I always said, heat exhaustion is more of a concern working a wildfire than burns, you don't work that close to the fire 99% of the time.

  33. #33JD955SC2023-08-16 18:45

    My father always said the way to go from when he was working construction in the 70s was to wear a tight flannel shirt and once you sweated through it it cooled you better through evaporative cooling.

  34. #34barrelroll2023-08-18 09:26

    I don't envy you guys, 80 is brutal hot up here in southeast Alaska. We are hiring underground mechanics, it's usually in the 50's in the shop year round, live anywhere, fly up for 2 weeks of work and fly home...

  35. #35Mike L2023-08-18 17:54

    50s sounds mighty nice.

  36. #36crane operator2023-08-18 18:04

    I hear they have weather like that in Maine.

  37. #37crane operator2023-08-18 18:18

    They just issued a severe heat warning here from sunday night through thursday. 100-110 every day, may cool down toward next weekend....

  38. #38Mike L2023-08-18 19:16

    You just gotta rub it in, don’t you? Here I am, out melting brain cells and wringing sweat out of my boxers and you can’t help but remind me of the cool refreshing weather they have back home. I hope the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits!

  39. #39CM19952023-08-18 19:41

    Yeah but it's a wet heat..

  40. #40Mike L2023-08-18 19:45

    I’ll admit I am not a fan of high humidity but after 100 degrees it doesn’t even matter.

  41. #41CM19952023-08-18 19:59

    Nah, I've been in 100 degree heat in Vegas and other parts West in the desert and I'll take a dry heat over a 100 degree day with 98% humidity.

  42. #42kshansen2023-08-18 20:13

    Had to do some checking, the last three days our humidity has been anywhere from a low of 48% to a high of 90% but at least the temps have not been too bad low of 61ºF and high of only 84ºF

  43. #43James Sorochan2023-08-18 20:20

    We were at about 97 degrees yesterday with a west wind. Temp just dropped from about 80 to 63 degrees about an hour ago. Nice break.

  44. #44Birken Vogt2023-08-18 21:51

    All this (for us) 30% humidity is not conducive to large fire growth so fire season has been slow out here. That is one real good thing about it. But that can change in half a week and frequently does, once fall shows up.

  45. #45CM19952023-08-18 22:04

    That is one benefit of the temperate rainforest we call the Southeastern US - wildfires are never really a problem. On the dry occasion we have one but it's hardly ever devestating.

  46. #46OzDozer2023-08-18 22:13

    I've worked in places where it's been 48°C regularly - but low humidity. Didn't mind it when younger, but can't cope with that heat level now I'm much older. Drink plenty of plain water, splash some on your shirt regularly, wear a wide brim felt or straw hat, and find some shade as often as possible. I've seen guys welding out in 50°C temperatures, I don't know how they did it, especially wearing all the protective equipment against burns. In the North of Australia in Summer, you can't touch bare steel that's out in direct sun, with bare hands after 9.00AM, you'll get burnt hands.

  47. #4792U 34062023-08-18 22:29

    I don't like heat but I'd take hot summer over cold winter these days. Spent almost all of my 20s working up in the north. Have experienced -40°C ambient temperatures regularly. Hard way to earn a living when you're a field mechanic. I actually ended up quitting a place I'd been at for 3 years because I just couldn't take the cold anymore. I wanted to stay but going from the truck to the shop meant losing my week on/week off schedule and being stuck Mon-Fri. At the time that was a non-negotiable.

  48. #48crane operator2023-08-19 13:34

    Its okay. I get cranky when I'm hot too.

  49. #49kshansen2023-08-19 13:40

    That's nothing! Ask my wife and she'd probably say weather would not have any real bearing on the cranky thing for me!

  50. #50mowingman2023-08-19 15:33

    I can always be comfortable when it is cold outside. I just add more layers of clothing. When it is hot, I am miserable. I can not get comfortable in the heat. Friends laughed at us when we retired in Texas and moved back up here to SE Ohio. Well, it was a nice 52 this morning and might make it up to 80. At our old home of 44 years, in Texas, it has been over 100 for about 30 days. Today it it is to be 106, and for the next 7 or 8 days it will be nearly 110. Nope, you can have that heat. Give me a nice cool/cold climate any day.

  51. #51chidog2023-08-19 16:13

    In the good old days I remember some hot summers here clearing and burning, yeah those days should have been burn ban days, but weren't. The best part was 95 plus degree days on a nice hot D7 or D8, you know all the parts even the floor at close to engine operating temp that surround you, wearing coveralls, dust mask, open ROPS, and working around the fire piles or attacking a runaway fire. And on the hottest days it seemed thats when something broke on one of the machines, and needed major welding. I'm so used to having grit in my eyes, never was without it in the dry months when operating.

  52. #52DMiller2023-08-19 16:47

    80s, MEH!!!

  53. #53Truck Shop2023-08-19 18:22

    It's all relative-winter is on the way, then a thread can be started Working In The Cold. Some wear rabbit fur underwear, probably matts up after three or four days though.

  54. #54_Weldman_2023-08-19 18:33

    I’ve been to the end of this chart in temperatures in Iraq wearing full battle rattle in Mopp level 4 chemical suits, but mostly without chemical suits. My suggestion, loose clothing, take it slower and if worse comes to worse stick a IV in and hook up a bag of saline solution on and keep going. Worked for us… Might of fried a few brain cells or reorganized them, but still alive.

  55. #55_Weldman_2023-08-19 18:46

    Let’s see, LCD on welding machine starts scrambling around 20° around -10° might as well shut the machine off. Around -20° anything with an engine doesn’t want to run, takes longer to move extremities. About -30° I question my sanity plastic starts becoming brittle with rubber, -40° is limited time outside and there is no sanity unless in a heated area. At -50° yeah I might be out for 5 to 10 minutes at a time, -60° screw that I’m going back inside.

  56. #56Mike L2023-08-19 19:15

    back in maine when we would get that extra cold snap I always knew I’d be extra busy at work. Equipment wouldn’t start, fuel would gel (like people didn’t realize this beforehand?) and you’d always hear of something steel tearing apart like fabric. I swear it would be cheaper if everyone just shut down for a couple days.

  57. #57sled dog2023-08-19 19:28

    That's when you find out who your real friends are....."Hey, come fluff my fur !!! "

  58. #58Truck Shop2023-08-19 20:43

    In Montana-they just flip them inside out from week to week, the rest of the PNW states after a while there worn as a fur mountain man hat.

  59. #59_Weldman_2023-08-19 20:45

    For those who think Iraq only desert heat no humidity and don’t know much about the country. Here you go, yes humidity climbs up there too. https://www.npr.org/2021/11/07/1051468823/iraq-marshes-climate-change-cop26

  60. #60DMiller2023-08-20 08:19

    Awoke to 75 at 4 this morning, dropped 2 then started the rise. Looks like Hell week has resumed. Typical predicted highs by 2-3 pm at 103-105. Humidity is in full bloom, foggy at 5am at 74 degrees. Have to coax dog outdoors to do his business

  61. #61Mike L2023-08-20 09:51

    last week we had 2 mornings that were 70-72 at 5 am. Other than that the last 2 months have been 80-83 at 5 am. This coming week is forecast to be just slightly warmer than the last 6 weeks and will continue with no end in sight.

  62. #62Birken Vogt2023-08-20 09:53

    Well the hurricane has just upset our weather for the next week here so we won't have to worry about heat, supposed to rain the next couple days which never ever happens in summer normally and then go to moderate temps after that.

  63. #63DMiller2023-08-20 10:22

    Temps screaming UP, already 86 9:30am

  64. #64Mike L2023-08-20 11:16

    93 here at 10:15 am

  65. #6592U 34062023-08-20 11:20

    At least it ain't raining. I've got monster trucks to watch today!

  66. #66Tatersmt2023-08-20 11:24

    A real nice 59 here at 9:30 and a light rain!

  67. #67grandpa2023-08-20 12:50

    Can't say I feel your pain. I was pushing in peat today pushing frost.

  68. #68chidog2023-08-20 16:15

    And all that heat from a nice stationary and strange high pressure area. What keeps it there?

  69. #69AzIron2023-08-20 18:13

    The last month has been mid 90s overnight 108 to 118 during day humidity has been up and down but we had a couple days at 113 with about 35 percent humidity we were quitting at 1230 those days Today 95 in the afternoon no rain but will enjoy the cooler weather for a few days it's only going to stay hot a few more weeks then we will see the mornings cool off to low 80s

  70. #70DMiller2023-08-20 18:25

    Humidity here seldom drops below 70%, typical day in the 80s or 90s at 80-85%. Currently 102 with 82% humidity.

  71. #71Mike L2023-08-20 18:44

    Made it to 109 today but the humidity dropped out.

  72. #72crane operator2023-08-22 18:05

    Still muggy and warm here, but at least I'm not in Tulsa.

  73. #73Mike L2023-08-22 18:42

    Yikes. Was only 107 here today

  74. #74Birken Vogt2023-08-22 19:22

    After what was left of the hurricane came through, it has been mid 80s here with a lot of clouds to block the sun.

  75. #75crane operator2023-08-22 19:45

    I started on monday and called all our customers for that day, and told them my guys weren't working past 2:00. If they don't want to start early- that's on them. I'm not working late in this kind of heat.

  76. #76Zewnten2023-08-22 21:56

    Manhattan, KS was supposedly the hottest spot in the US this weekend, 115 before the humidity

  77. #77DMiller2023-08-23 05:03

    I start early on that I know needs to get done of my own work. Will be at it by 5-5:30 this morning, be done by 10 or 11 Even tho not drawing pay still have stuff to get done.

  78. #78Old Doug2023-08-23 07:43

    It was bad yesterday had to try and start 3 trucks and move them they hadnt been started in over 3 years. I think that them being so dirty with mouse crap and dust makes the heat seem a lot worse . I got 2 started and moved along with some other stuff maybe work on the other today agin. I left work about 4:00 and went to haul another truck. It was another mouse motel . It took 3 shirts to make it through the day. I drove home slow hauling the last truck i didnt want any tire problems . We have had heavy fog every morning.

  79. #79Vetech632023-08-23 07:50

    I guess my post got deleted because I used the "P" word. LOL

  80. #80Old Doug2023-08-23 07:51

    I was useing my winch truck yesterday to unload a tank wagon bed the vac booster leaks bad and makes alot of noise . It over heated and was venting bad but i thought it was the vacuum leak making the noise . I didnt run it to long i hope i didnt hurt it.

  81. #81skyking12023-08-23 08:31

    we got the tail end of that tropical storm here in Washington as a gentle rain this morning. 60@5;30, humidity 91%

  82. #82DMiller2023-08-23 11:14

    Was wondering of That. Just use Wimp, still a P Word just not as noticeable!!! I got it in my Email. and NO you are NOT one, just rational.

  83. #83Old Doug2023-08-24 08:21

    Everyday the temp gos up a little it was bad yesterday. I figured the humidity would burn off before long but it hasnt. They say it will cool down this weekend 2 days away. One of the transport semis had a problem with the pto shaft . The driver is older and not in great health. I was not doing good in the heat but he was having a ruff time i hurried the job along to get him done it was his last load of the day. When your in front of a fan in the shade and its about unbearable you know its bad.

  84. #84IceHole2023-08-24 11:48

    If it hit 100* here, I'm going to church and praying, cause it's the end of times.

  85. #85crane operator2023-08-24 13:01

    100 before noon today. I’ve got my two crane jobs done, and have a couple projects in the shop, so in the shade. Going to fire up the fan and try to make 2:30

  86. #86Old Doug2023-08-25 08:13

    Yesterday i thought it had cooled of a little i was outside and wasnt soaking wet but in the afternoon it got hotter than ever couldnt hardly stand to do any work. They say its going to be in the 80s tomorrow that will be great.

  87. #87Mike L2023-08-25 18:02

    106 today. Was 95 at 10 am. Rained today for the first time in 3? Months. It only lasted about 5 minutes and you could barely feel it but it was rain.

  88. #88Old Doug2023-08-26 09:07

    Yesterday afternoon it was dry hot about couldnt do anything outside .Sometime last night it started raining i dont know how much it has rained but it is still raining. I cant wait till fall unless it starts raining every day . What a year weather wise.

  89. #89Junkyard2023-08-26 09:16

    It’s gotten so bad this last week that even starting my day at 3:00AM is still miserable. Weds wasn’t quite as bad. Thursday and Friday kicked my tail. Thankfully I had shop work so there was shade and a fan. At 2:30 when I left to get parts my Jeep said 106, weather app said 99 and 116 heat index. I’ll do shorts when I can, something water soaked around my neck and I’ve recently discovered the liquid IV packets you add to water. 4-5 of those throughout the day and I don’t have the evening cramps in my feet and legs. It’s been a challenging summer for sure.

  90. #90DMiller2023-08-26 14:22

    Guess I have not stopped learning, just learned if can smell ammonia when sweat you are dehydrated, ammonia is proteins in the body being converted to urea then ammonia as not enough fluid water to keep the proteins in solution as well the kidneys cannot remove the excess ammonia so exits in sweat. Had never asked the question before.

  91. #91Old Doug2023-08-27 13:46

    It rained 1 1/2 inches and cooled down into the high 80s . Its not ideal but its better.

  92. #92Mike L2023-08-27 14:34

    Gonna be 107 again today. Supposed to drop below triple digits for a couple days this week. Sad to say but I’m looking forward to that small amount of relief.

  93. #93thepumpguysc2023-08-27 14:36

    I’ve been working outside since 8:00am.. Started getting dizzy right around 2:00.. Came inside and checked the weather.. 88* but with the humidity it feels like 97*..!!! No wonder I was getting dizzy.!!

  94. #94Mike L2023-08-27 14:40

    I did a few outdoor chores before 9 am. After that I’m just a couch Potato. I get 5 days a week of being soaked with sweat and I’m severely lacking interest to be soaked all weekend. Not even interested in being in the pool. Just want to be dry.

  95. #95Old Doug2023-08-27 16:08

    I had a guy wanting to buy a lathe i have . I had to get my forklift running to load it . The forklift hasnt run in 2 to 4 years? Last week after i had tried my best to get heat stroke i would come home and get it running and move stuff around. I was about to call it off and no sell but i didnt the forklift bearly ran no brakes the coil burst leaked oil out and the shifter broke way down in a place i couldnt hardly get to but today he pulled out of the drive with it on his trailer.

  96. #96mowingman2023-08-27 17:20

    I thank God every day that He allowed us to retire out of Texas and relocate to southern Ohio for. Are you thinking maybe you should have stayed up north?

  97. #97ianjoub2023-08-27 17:36

    FL is VERY proactive with controlled burns.

  98. #98Mike L2023-08-27 17:51

    Some days I wish I’d stayed put. It’s been a tough summer. Tougher than anything I experienced in south Texas.

  99. #99mowingman2023-08-27 18:08

    After 44 years in the Texas heat, we had had enough. Friends laughed at us for moving north. However, we have been through 2 winters here and they were not bad at all. I can withstand cold much better than heat.

  100. #100Mike L2023-08-27 18:38

    The original idea was that we’d leave the cold, high cost of living and low wages, no state income taxes, cheap vehicle registration, etc. I loved working in the oilfield of south Texas. what I did was trade 2 months of uncomfortable cold for 4-5 months of heat and humidity like I’ve never dealt with In east Texas. I thought it would be a little more mild here but I was wrong.

  101. #101mowingman2023-08-27 19:33

    Well, maybe next year will be better. I know how uncomfortable it can be in east Texas. My first year down there was spent mostly in the Longview and Athens areas. not quite as hot as other spots, but plenty of humidity.

  102. #102Old Doug2023-08-28 08:22

    I dont think any place has perfect weather its one thing after the other then if the weather is not a problem something else would be.

  103. #103Mike L2023-08-28 19:06

    Only hit low 90s today. Felt downright comfortable after what we’ve had.

  104. #104terex herder2023-08-28 22:38

    As the Eagles sang "call some place paradise, kiss it goodby". The trick is to find a miserable you can stand, but not many others want to tolerate. My miserable is flat, hot in the summer, cold in the winter, and dusty all the time. And a long ways from much in the way of services.

  105. #105Old Doug2023-08-29 08:09

    If i had a better shop and i hope to someday the i probably wount have ac but if it had good heat and ventilation i could take the weather better. My sisters husband said last night he like when the weather changed thats kind of how i am.

  106. #106crane operator2023-09-02 09:44

    Weather broke here last weekend. This week has been great, highs in the upper 80's and lows in the 60's. Good thing too, I didn't think Mike L was going to make it. Anyways- bring on the fall.

  107. #107Birken Vogt2023-09-02 09:58

    I had a job at a place I always dread, full sun and I always seem to get there in the afternoon. Mercifully it has been cloudy with a little rain now, it was wonderful.

  108. #108Mike L2023-09-02 18:00

    It was a close one. Weather here has been a low of 70 and a high of around 100 this week. Doesn’t sound like much but it’s been a welcome relief. There’s a fairly good chance that I deep fried some brain cells this summer.