Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Worksite disaster or hoax?

Jeff D. ยท 2007-04-10 20:20

I recieved these pics in my e-mail this morning from a friend. I've no info on what exactly happened (other than what is obvious), or their authenticity. Has anyone else seen these pics anywhere else, or have any info? I've tried searching and came up empty handed.:beatsme

Replies20
  1. #1Jeff D.2007-04-10 20:35

    If they do turn out to be a spoof I'll be publicly blaming the guy who sent them too me and told me too post them. But if they're real I'll gladly take the credit. Sound fair Squizzy?:cool2

  2. #2Countryboy2007-04-10 20:45

    They look pretty authentic to me. I tried searching for info too and while I didn't find any on this particular accident, I did find that Dubai has a very high construction accident rate. There is site after site talking about it. Great pictures. :thumbsup On Edit: If Squizzy is behind them then I might have to rethink my previous statement about authenticity.

  3. #3Jeff D.2007-04-10 20:55

    What get's me wondering is the crane. I don't know how easy they are to topple, but that much water has to have a tremendous amount of power. I thought maybe it would've went over.:beatsme

  4. #4Dozerboy2007-04-10 21:18

    IIRC that was in NY or east coast during the building of a tunnel it was on the discovery channel IIRC.

  5. #5Countryboy2007-04-10 21:34

    Dang I'm good. The tag in the pics gave it away. It was in Dubai..... heres the site and a couple more photos. :cool2 Dubai News Online I think its authentic........:thumbsup

  6. #6Jeff D.2007-04-10 22:00

    Well there I go. Thanks Countryboy.:thumbsup I can hardly believe they were able to evacuate quick enough though. Wow!! Yeah, they're actually his pics.

  7. #7digger242j2007-04-10 22:00

    Countryboy nailed it. Dubai. :thumbsup And all of a sudden it became a job for Lashlander...

  8. #8Countryboy2007-04-10 22:45

    Just a little hint when finding the origin of pictures: If the pictures have a tag in them then type exactly what the tag says, word for word and punctuation included, into your favorite search engine. It works most of the time and even if it doesn't, it will get you close. I used Yahoo!. :thumbsup

  9. #9Jeff D.2007-04-10 23:11

    A tag? Do you mean where it says on the pic "Dubia Construction update, blah, blah, blah"? I did put that in the search engine but it didn't come up with anything. I used MSN's search engine though. I could've mispelled too maybe. It wouldn't let me copy the words by right clicking on them, as per normal, so I had to do it manually.:beatsme

  10. #10HeyUvaVT2007-04-11 07:23

    you just use yahoo cuz its sorta close to "YEE-HAW!!" :drinkup

  11. #11PSDF3502007-04-11 08:34

    Cranes are really only unstable when a load is added. As in you get alot of weight high and wide. But I (me) would think that with nothing on the hook it would be difficult if not impossible to upset one. We are talking some serious weight here.

  12. #12wrenchbender2007-04-11 16:42

    Great pics Jeff ya done real good!!!

  13. #13rino14942007-04-11 19:13

    I saw those pics on another forum. I bet somebody got fired.

  14. #14Jeff D.2007-04-11 20:15

    Yes...yes it is! Not too far from Hee-Haw either.:cool2 You must be right because it didn't go over.:beatsme Ain't no thang, it's just what I do! I couldn't have done it without the "behind the scene's" help from the lil' people though.:wink2 It's really lucky no one ended up dead too. With what Countryboy said about these type of accidents happening all the time over there, it certainly is disturbing.

  15. #15Countryboy2007-04-11 20:23

    All these comedians out here that can't find a job and yall are tryin to crack jokes...... Lets start a Yahoo is better than Google thread. :bouncegri :jerry

  16. #16Lashlander2007-04-11 23:19

    Wow, great find. It would be interesting to see how they're going to seal it off to pump it out. Crawler Cranes are most vulnerable to tip over backwards with no load. The Wind has blown a lot of them over. I always leave the boom at 45 degrees in the yard and snub them down when on a barge.

  17. #17Squizzy246B2007-04-12 09:34

    I'm glad they weren't a hoax...and even gladder I wasn't working in the bottom of that hole

  18. #18T_Gunn2009-01-12 00:54

    Neat pics guys. Anymore out there?

  19. #19N.CarolinaDozer2009-01-12 22:19

    Where's the guy chewing gum, that needs to plug that hole!

  20. #20stock2009-01-13 17:06

    We discussed this at collage in oct and were assured by the lecturer that they were photoshopped and therefore bogus,so thanks all will have fun tomorrow when I show them this. Stock