Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

World’s Largest Truck (apparently…)

Dickie ยท 2006-08-24 23:26

Ran a search and was surprised to not find this posted yet! A pic I snapped in Sparwood BC on my latest venture out to the mines: The Terex Titan. :notworthy

Replies36
  1. #1Jeff D.2006-08-25 00:32

    Holy smokes! That is a big honker.

  2. #2CascadeScaper2006-08-25 00:41

    That thing must put a good hurt on the ground when it's loaded!

  3. #3RonG2006-08-25 05:14

    Notice the aggregate under the truck to absorb the oil leaks from those Detroits!!:wink2 :wink2 That is a big truck.Ron G

  4. #4Squizzy246B2006-08-25 15:00

    I think Liebherr make one with a slightly higher payload, but the Terex is longer: Titan Height = 6.88m (22'7") With Box Raised = 17.07m (56') Length = 20.09m (65'11") Width = 7.57m (24'10") Weight = 260 tons Payload = 350 tons Tires are 3.35m (11') in diameter See the Guinness Book of World Records Liebherr: Q: Just how big is this truck? A: Well, empty it weighs in at 224 tons (203 tonnes), it's 24 foot 3 inches (7.4 metres) tall over the canopy, 47 feet 6 inches (14.5 metres) long with a wheelbase of 21 foot 6 inches (6.6 metres). And it can carry loads of 400 tons (365 tonnes). So that's an overall weight when loaded of 624 tons (568 tonnes). How similar is it to an ordinary truck you would see on the highway? A: It's quite different from what you might expect. For a start there isn't one huge engine powering the wheels, as you would get in a regular truck. Instead, a 3650-horsepower (2723-kilowatt) diesel engine generates power for two electric motors in the rear axles. So it's more like a huge electric railroad locomotive than a conventional truck. Older giant trucks used a DC electrical drive system but this one uses AC, which is more efficient. Q: It must cost a fortune... A: In the US, $3million. In the over-300-ton range there are probably 50 to 75 trucks sold each year worldwide. Our big trucks end up used in coal mines in Wyoming and Australia, copper mines in Chile, in iron extraction in South Africa and in gold mines in Nevada. Q: What's it like to drive? A: It's like driving a house. After you've been around a lot, it's not as exciting as if suddenly someone said: "Would you like to drive one?" You'd go crazy in that case! It's not hard to drive, basically like driving an automatic shift car.

  5. #5rino14942006-08-25 16:31

    I'll take 2 :thumbsup

  6. #6Bob Horrell2006-08-25 23:52

    And I thought my job was fun.

  7. #7Squizzy246B2006-08-26 01:44

    You could certainly impress at a Monster truck meet

  8. #8CascadeScaper2006-08-26 01:53

    Driving one of those would be fun...for about half a day. In the end, you're still a truck driver. I wonder if there's any grade stakes in mines that they aim to run over like my dump truck drivers do. We should get Jeff D. out there, he'd for sure find a stake in the middle of a mine to wipe out! :bouncegri

  9. #9Dickie2006-08-26 01:57

    Haha, that's what the drivers at the mine all say... Driving a haul truck is the BEST job in the WORLD!!!..... for the first three months. The next 25 years? Well.... :sleeping

  10. #10Dusty2006-08-26 15:38

    thats huge

  11. #11Jeff D.2006-08-26 22:25

    :bouncegri Yeah, that's right!!:yup For two months in the summer of 92' I drove a motorcoach for IRRRB (Iron Range Resource and Rehabilitaion Board) doing tours of the mines in northern Minnesota. I watched those trucks, not quite as big as that one though, for for hours & hours. At first I was just tickled to watch the machines working, but after a week or two the excitement was gone. One of the large open pit mines I'd go to was in Calumet MN. There the people would switch onto another odd looking offroad bus, and they'de drive them down into the mine where the trucks were working. One day that bus broke down, and the mine tour guide tried to get me too take the motorcoach down into the mine instead. I really wanted too help them out, but the motorcoaches have very little ground clearance, and I knew I'd get that thing high centered down in the mine, so I had to say "Sorry, no dice" Pictures just don't do those mining trucks justice. They seem even larger when you're standing right next to them.:yup

  12. #12Ford LT-90002006-08-27 00:03

    I'am surprised nobody has tried stealing the tires off that old Terex there is such a shortage for tires there is 6 month to a year wait for haul tires. I don't know why Terex painted their machines that snot green one of the contractors had a Terex wheelloader it was called the green slime. Most of Terex equipment has screaming detroit power.

  13. #13Steve Frazier2006-08-27 13:26

    Yea, they could just pull up with a Toyota and toss them in the back!:beatsme

  14. #14Wulf2006-08-27 16:53

    Interesting description of the Terex Titan in the link below. It says that the truck was designed to carry an unprecedented 350 tonnes but was regularly overloaded with payloads of 500 tonnes during its life. By the way... it was built in Ontario Canada! http://www.machinery.uk.com/interestingpics/titan.htm

  15. #15bigHD2006-08-27 19:10

    Those trucks are unbelieveable. I'm so impressed every time I see them! :notworthy

  16. #1691J2006-08-27 22:29

    I believe the tires are filled with conrete.

  17. #17s11002006-08-27 23:28

    I ran 35&50 ton(small ones) Wabco's/Euclid's/Mack's/International Harvesters out of high school for about 6 years. I could fall asleep while being loaded "With Scrap Iron":sleeping , wake to the sound of the horn, dump and race back for another load/nap ALL DAY LONG. I was young and spent a lot of time/money in bars. Couldn't do that now..........................I don't think. Did I mention the scrap was being dropped into the truck by Hitachi 750 and 1100's with 5-6 yard grapples. Very loud, Louder than a 12 cylinder Detroit with open exhaust. My hearing ain't what it used to be.

  18. #18Dwan Hall2006-08-30 12:29

    Driving through Yukon 2 days ago I almost ran into this.

  19. #19plowking7402006-09-16 23:33

    titan Here are a few more Pics of the Titan. just for scale, Im standing by one of the rear tires and im 6' 2". I go just a little over half way up. and as for some one stealing the tires, they look to be in sad shape with a few punctures in them and patches. I m suprised that they hold air for display. It is in sad shape, I hate to say it, but it has seen some better days. all the glass is broken and there is a cage over the windows. sill, it is a very impressive display.

  20. #20miKe F.2006-10-10 20:07

    how big an engine/what type of brakes would it have?

  21. #21Wulf2006-10-10 20:24

    From an earlier post...It was powered by 16 cylinder 169.5 litre EMD locomotive engine producing 3,000hp at 900rpm. Not sure about the brakes but the electric drive motors will have a retarding feature as the truck wouldn't rely on friction material only

  22. #22miKe F.2006-10-10 21:30

    big motor. imagine doing a tire change on that? sheyit.

  23. #23excavator2006-10-18 20:13

    Pretty hard to steal those tires, I read in one of the Titan brochures that the city of Sparwood put out, that after having tires going flat constantly,they pumped them full of concrete. Took care of that problem.

  24. #24MetalDragon_boy2006-10-19 16:01

    If I dont remember completley wrong, the Komatsu 930E is larger than the Liebherr T282 in size. But the T282 has a larger payload.

  25. #25Countryboy2007-05-16 22:03

    I thought the Terex Titan was the only tandem haul truck built....... link link But then I find this one from Wabco. I've never heard of it before but there are several of them that are monuments. The payload is less than the Titan, at 235 tons, but its still a huge truck. Are any of these still in operation or anybody have anymore specs? The first one is located in Logan Lake, B.C.. And for all the fellers in Oz, where is Newman located? There is one located there at the Tourist Information Centre . link link

  26. #2606bowtie_guy2007-05-16 22:48

    Interesting, good post. Last used in 90. Powered by loco engine. I wonder if they ran a diesel/ electric setup like a loco?? I worked on large CN, CP locos at a local rebuild shop. Built an engine. Amazing the size of it all.

  27. #27Squizzy246B2007-05-17 06:40

    They have been known to haul a bit of iron ore up at Mt Newman. You can Google Earth "Newman"...hang on...I'll do it for the benefit of CB. Its in West Aussies North West region, called the Pilbara.

  28. #28MetalDragon_boy2007-05-17 14:02

    Wabco made tandem haul truck to yes. They bought up Haulpak later (of if it was Haulpak that bought Wabco). Now Haulpak is owned by Komatsu.

  29. #29Countryboy2007-05-17 22:55

    Did anyone else get into the tandem mining truck market or was it just Terex and Wabco? Squizzy, do you know who owns that mine in Newman?

  30. #30Squizzy246B2007-05-18 06:38

    BHP...they own the town too!...World's Largest Mining Company. http://www.bhpbilliton.com/bb/home.jsp

  31. #31MetalDragon_boy2007-05-18 13:19

    Only other manufacturer that used tandem I know of is Euclid. They had tandems in some older models. Like the R52 and R66. I didnt find any pics of the 1:1 Euclids only 1:50 scale models: R52 http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/MetalDragon_boy/Maskiner/Ej Mina Bilder/663c09db.jpg R62 http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/MetalDragon_boy/Maskiner/Ej Mina Bilder/c6fb4788.jpg In my opionion these two trucks are easy the best looking ones ever buildt!

  32. #32alco2007-05-18 20:24

    Many other manufacturers used tandem axles in years gone by. Bear in mind these were all smaller trucks since they were long ago. Off the top of my head, I can think of KW Dart and Mack, but I know there are others. 06bowtie_guy, Yes, the Titan was diesel electric. Brian

  33. #33MetalDragon_boy2007-05-19 05:45

    Thanks for the info alco I didnt know that! Btw in the early models of Euclids trucks they didnt use mufflers.. THAT is pretty cool!

  34. #34Lashlander2007-05-19 09:28

    HUH! What did you say?:beatsme

  35. #35MetalDragon_boy2007-05-19 14:59

    HAHA! Wonder how the opperators hearing was after afew years in a Euclid. One of those trucks must have sounded like... well I dont know! If you remove the muffler from a moped it sounds like hell is breaking loose.. but a big dumptruck?

  36. #36ben46a2007-05-20 09:00

    yeah 2 straight pipe 12v71's would kinda be hard on the ears eh?