Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

wow wheres osha

jimmyjack ยท 2008-06-14 22:39

thought this was interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLFAJQ7SLew

Replies23
  1. #1Turbo218352008-06-14 23:08

    I would think being China, it would be more hazardous to your health to refuse to do such a task.

  2. #2Lashlander2008-06-15 01:50

    Don't need to worry about OSHA catching them. They were to busy with me today!

  3. #3PipeGuy2008-06-15 09:14

    They are wearing hard hats !!

  4. #4CheeseHead2008-06-15 11:13

    Spill the beans Lash, what you were hit with? :Banghead :cool2 :beatsme :ban

  5. #5Lashlander2008-06-15 15:07

    All in all I was pretty pleased with the way it turned out. I think it could have been worse. 1. Two fire extinguishers on the floor unsecured. We started to gather them up last week to get certified then got side tracked and never got back to it. 2. Three hydraulic jacks that haven't been inspected and certified. I didn't know this was a requirement. 3. Electrical panel had stuff stacked within 3 feet in front of it. 4. Two sledge hammer handles had nicks in the handles. 5. Nylon lifting strap with an abrasion. 6. Bench grinder didn't have the top guards on the grinding wheels. I knew about the bottom guards and they were in spec but this grinder is so old it never even came with the upper wheel guards. Its long gone now. 7 Skil saw with black tape on the cord. She made us untape it and said since the inner wires weren't cut it was a minor violation. If the inner wires were exposed it would have been a major. 8. Oxygen and Acetylene torch didn't have the hoses bled off after shutting off the valves. I don't know what the fines are gonna be. She said it shouldn't be too serious. I'm not sure what serious to her would be.

  6. #6Dirtman20072008-06-15 18:12

    I've never used any that didn't:beatsme

  7. #7D5G2008-06-15 22:29

    Lash, seriously a sledge hammer that had a nick in the handle! do you have any idea why this is such a hazard? Thats got to be the craziest thing I have ever heard. The nylon strap i can understand....they really don't like that.

  8. #8Lashlander2008-06-15 22:51

    If you take a swing the head could break off and hit someone between the eyes. Even if they didn't deserve it.

  9. #9D5G2008-06-16 18:03

    wow that kinda makes sense but that couldn't have been cheap.

  10. #10stumper1202008-06-16 21:23

    id be worried about the stick falling of the chinese mini ex while i was standing on the hammer. it looked like he tethered himself to the machine with a rope , harness , or something. that thing looks like one of those yuchi:usa:usa rigs we are starting to see over here

  11. #11DPete2008-06-16 21:39

    You mean OSHA tracked you down up there in the last frontier?? The nerve, you should have sent em down to the AX Men to take a look at all those frayed cables on their skyline

  12. #12Lashlander2008-06-17 01:51

    Starting to get a few stories of her rounds coming in. She fined one construction company for two chipped hammers. Then the next day stopped by again. Yep, they were still using them. Yep, she fined them again. Its a repeat violation too. She was on the Coast Guard base and asked to use the bathroom. She came out holding a can of Lysol and asked to see an MSD Sheet on it. She wrote them up because they couldn't produce one. She fined the freight company that come into our dock for having an unsanitary bathroom. When she walked into our bathroom she said theres a safety hazard. I asked her what was? She pointed at the toilet seat. It was up. Even the OSHA gal can crack a joke once in a while. Jimmyjack, sorry about hijacking your thread.! Its pretty wild what other countries get away with. Don't seem to have much respect for human life.

  13. #13bear2008-06-17 10:41

    Unfortunately life is considered cheap in many countries (and some neighborhoods in ours and those like us), often they figure A: more where he came from. B: he was probably a dissident or otherwise "unloyal" C ne less on my payroll. not gonna say all of 'em think like this and yet...

  14. #14Grader4me2008-06-29 21:36

    I didn't know of the three that I highlighted. Makes sense I guess. She must be one sharp cookie

  15. #15digger242j2008-06-29 23:25

    That is the kind of stuff that breeds contempt for the regulations. It may well be the letter of the law, but how is it not counter-productive?

  16. #16Lashlander2008-06-30 00:35

    Thats true, however, I think that attitude towards them at the beginning has a lot to do with the severity of the inspection. I know the people she hit the hardest are the ones that got smart with her right from the start. Leads me to believe they got smart with her.

  17. #17RocksnRoses2008-06-30 09:11

    I wouldn't even be on the building, let alone riding the digger over the side! While this seems a little trivial, I have had a sledge hammer handle break, the head fell into the jaw crusher, came back out at who knows how many mph, shot twent to thirty feet in the air and then the next question is, where is it going to come down? Fortunately, no one was hurt. Rn'R.

  18. #18Looper2008-07-23 03:03

    I got a fractured kneecap when I was 17 due to a broken sledge handle. Not fun.

  19. #1990plow2008-07-23 07:20

    Those are the inspectors that dissapear one night and never come back when they mess with the wrong guy or the wrong company...one that might have "connections" -Eric

  20. #20Vantage_TeS2008-10-16 18:43

    If the guy is wearing a safety harness and is tied off (which he is) wouldn't that put them in the clear?

  21. #21TALLRICK2009-04-14 11:10

    They are Chinese, why not just use explosives?

  22. #22landrvrnut222009-04-14 15:15

    Let's just say construction is much different in CHina than here. When one worker dies, they bury him, and get another one. My dad's employer finished building a plant in China last year. The most comical story is of the landscaping. They have 3 crews, one to dig the holes, one to plant the trees, and one to fill in the holes. Well, day one, the guys come and dig the hole. Day two, the guys who plant the trees don't show. Day three, guys come and fill the holes in. Day four, guys come to plant the trees, but no holes. SO they set the trees where the holes were. Most other trivial jobs went that way.

  23. #23544D102009-04-14 15:37

    Watching that video I was only thinking one thing, this is not the first time they have done this.