Have you worked on piece of equipment woundering WT* they was thinking on hyd hoses. Having hoses wraped around the engine and any place they can use up the extra length. looks like it lots easier make one lots longer to get jerk off than to put it back on rigth and same length.Then they wounder why it didnt last and say it sure need to be desgin better so the hose wont rub. DUH if you put it on like it suppose to be you woudnt have to replace it all the time:Banghead:Banghead
Yeah, I know what you mean. With some hoses like that, they use a larger bend as a stress relief. I've seen commonly blown hoses grow in length because each time the hose was replaced, the operators asked for "a little extra, just in case". I've seen guys tighten a hose on the female swivel fitting with out putting a wrench behind it on the flats. This can put a twist on the hose adding to stresses the hose already has to deal with. I'm constantly on the look out for rub-throughs. Zip ties and hose shields will usually take care of them.
Uh, just so you know, we've made it a policy to treat that three letter abbreviation the same as if it were a disguised profanity, which it essentially is. I mean. everybody knows what that third letter stands for, right? Enforcing that rule isn't my favorite thing, because we all have slip ups, especially when we're exposed to that out on the job anyway, and sometimes, I can pretend not to see it, but when you put it right there in the title.... :beatsme Carry on with the discussion...
I agree people run and move hoses where they do not belong. I like to use the hard plastic wrap style conduit. I try to put it on all of my exposed hoses. It is hard to find the bigger size like for rear of a skidder,s grapple. And then when I go some hwere that might have it I forget to get it. Thats what I use how about you guys?
That plastic spiral wrap works great. We use it on our rock grapples. Got some 3" for the reach on one of our pup trailers. $20 a foot.
I was wondering if the people who scrap out machinery would happen to have a bunch, that a guy could pick up for next to nothing
I think it's amazing that you can actually find big variations in the quality of the hose, Before I got a hose crimper, I had to rely on a supply shop to make hose for me, and I swear the stuff Gates hoses I've made since, blow the other stuff away. It would start to blister and seep around the crimp, total garbage.
I would have thought that most all the hoses were close enough to the same.. I will have to pay attention to what brand of hose the local shop uses. I know on any forestry machines those hoses get torn up bad, if you could get better quality and have it last longer it would be worth a little more money.
there are all kinds of hose out there. some swell and some grow longer. buy usa. sometimes the hose routing problem is not in engineering but on the assembly line. a good canic will take the time to remedy the problem, engineering or assembly. a poor boss will not understand why it takes so long to change a hose.