Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

WTB: 17.5 tubeless/hubless rims

Aruba1 ยท 2012-10-25 19:46

Hi, I'm looking to update my lowboy trailer with 17.5 rims/tires. The best price I can find online is around $150 plus shipping. If you have a cheaper price for used or new rims please let me know. I am in Birmingham, Al but I don't mind picking these up within 200 miles distance.

Replies26
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2012-10-26 00:17

    Are you talking about the ones to replace the normal 14.5" trailer tires? If so, I am interested too. I would love to run out my used tires from my heavy haul trailer on the tag along. The 14.5" tires just don't last.

  2. #2JBGASH2012-10-26 06:27

    ARe the 17.5 tires better by having more plys or what is better about them? I have 14.5 size and would like to change them also? Thanks

  3. #3Aruba12012-10-26 07:55

    Currently I have 900R15 (radial) tires on one side and 900-15LT (bias) on the other side. I blew up one of the bias tire and I can't get the same tire size locally although the closest available size is 10-15 in bias but its $150 a pop (used). The 17.5s are readily available (in stock) at most heavy equipment dealers. In ya'lls case, you will see a huge improvement in load capacity as I believe the 17.5 are somewhere around 4300 lbs (?). My 900R15 are rated for 4500 lbs. I am not sure if the 17.5 will fit over the 14.5 though but someone else may chime in. I also have a smaller trailer with 14.5 that are stamped "heavy duty" on the tires and these are build to last. They are 12 ply, rated at 2710 lbs and in load range F. I am keeping these as I have never had any problems with them.

  4. #4mitch5042012-10-26 08:02

    He's talking about replacing 15" tires on a lowboy with 17.5s. Keep in mind when going from 15s to 17.5s, it's just like going from 20s to 22.5s, the width number has to go up one step to keep the same height. If you have 10.00/15s, you have to go to an 11.00/17.5 to keep the same height; just like an 11R22.5 replacing a 10.00/20. Good luck finding those hen's teeth, Mitch

  5. #5mitch5042012-10-26 08:16

    You posted while I was typing (slowly). A 10R17.5 will run beside a 9.00R15. I wish you were closer, I have a few 9.00/15s and maybe a 10R17.5 or 2 on rims I don't need, because I run 10.00R15s. I got them from scrappers for the rims, because 15" Dayton wheels are not available new as far as I know. Good luck, Mitch BTW, the 15" dayton hubs and the 14.5" UTB hubs have nothing in common. I also run 9.00/14.5 load range F and G tires on 10 and 12-ton trailers with good results.

  6. #6JDOFMEMI2012-10-26 13:35

    Mitch Where do you get good 9.00 -14.5 tires" All I seem to find is not so cheap junk from China, and they don't last

  7. #7mitch5042012-10-27 01:19

    Here you go, Jerry http://www.powerkingtires.com/Tires/Trailer/LPT%20-%20Mobile%20Home/291

  8. #8divedigger2012-10-27 06:35

    are you replacing 8/25 15?I just bought 8 tires and wheels new

  9. #9mitch5042012-10-27 14:23

    Aruba I'll try to see just what I have and PM you back Monday or Tuesday. In the meantime, here is a link to some good new 9.00/15s. I really have had good luck with Powerking tires. http://www.powerkingtires.com/Tires/Highway/Bias%20Medium%20Truck/377

  10. #10Aruba12012-10-27 19:18

    Thanks for the link Mitch, I'll be waiting on your pictures. Here are some powerking used tires on ebay (900 14.5): http://www.ebay.com/itm/A57-9-14-5L...Parts_Accessories&hash=item19ccc1d48c&vxp=mtr

  11. #11JDOFMEMI2012-10-28 02:17

    Mitch Thanks for the lead.

  12. #12divedigger2012-10-28 16:23

    17.5 tires and wheels I just bought 8 17.5 16 ply tires and 8 dayton wheels new delivered in 3 days for $2600 from Tyres International ask for Bob

  13. #13Aruba12012-10-29 09:10

    Divedigger, Can you please post some pictures of the new wheels/tires? Are they tubeless? Is Tyres International a local place or on the internet? Thank you in advance, Gio

  14. #14divedigger2012-10-29 19:05

    The tires are westlake"china" which is about that is affordable I also got 2 385 floation fronts 18 ply for $400 each. As far as Tyres International goes, you will have no problem with them. I have bought tires from them for several years and they are still here. They offer free shipping for 8 I think which they use R and L and again no problems. They run ads in Rock and Dirt and send out fliers every few months. Thier main business is truck and trailer , farm and backhoe, skidder, road grader almost anything industrial. I do not mean to advertise for them, but for the money they have worked well for me! Give Bob a call and get a price, they are in Columbus Ohio. You just have to beat the bushes and find what works for you.

  15. #15tireman2012-10-30 07:16

    All 17.5 tires are tubeless.For that matter, ALL .5 tires(14.5,16.5,17.5,19.5,22.5,24.5) are tubeless.

  16. #16Aruba12012-10-30 08:33

    What about the wheels? Can anyone post pictures of a hubless Dayton wheel in 17.5" size?

  17. #17tireman2012-10-30 18:44

    Don't have a pic handy, but here's a link to one. http://www.centurionwheels.com/products_show_17.aspx

  18. #18Aruba12012-10-30 23:08

    Thanks tireman, these looks identical to the Accuride rims. Mitch, did you have any chance to get pictures of the tires/rims? Thanks

  19. #19mitch5042012-10-31 01:40

    I haven't yet, this has been a hell of a week. A group of brothers are friends and business associates/ customers and one of them was killed in a wreck saturday. I went to the funeral, of course, and then the family asked me to go get his destroyed truck since they did not want to see it. Tomorrow, I have to go to court to be a witness for another friend, but, I think I will see my shop again someday. To help you some with terminology, what you are calling a hubless rim is actually called a demountable rim, and it is commonly called a Dayton rim, (the original manufacturer), to differentiate it from stud-piloted rims, (they are the ones w/ the inner and outer nuts, commonly called Budd, which is another original brand name), and hub-piloted rims. Accuride is simply a company that makes rims. All brands of 17.5" demountable rims are interchangeable with each other, and are tubeless rims that will fit on 15" hubs, just as 22.5 rims fit a 20" hub and 24.5s fit a 22" hub.

  20. #20Aruba12012-11-01 12:53

    Hey Mitch, I am sorry about your friend. Take your time on the pictures, I am in no hurry but I am very interested in them. also thanks for the explanation on the hubless rims, I finally understand what others have been trying to explain to me

  21. #21Aruba12012-12-06 21:16

    Mitch, any chance that you can look at how many wheels/tires that you have?

  22. #22jmoney862012-12-28 12:56

    Dang, I guess I was got. I went from 8.25 15's to 235/75 17.5's. 8 new tires and wheels Great Dane and Steepleton Tire in Memphis for $3400.

  23. #23Aruba12012-12-28 13:40

    I totally lucked out last weekend when I went to purchase a used 11R22.5 tire. While looking around I scored 2x 10.00-15 tires and 3x Demountable 17.5 Rims. I paid $125 for ALL the items. I just need to locate another demountable rim and some used 17.5 tires. Another guy close to my house is selling used 17.5 tires in good shape for $50 each.

  24. #24Mountainmover2015-05-04 16:45

    My phelan lowboy need to convert tires and wheels I have a phelan 25yon two axle lowboy. It uses 8.25/15 tires. I am so tired of having blow outs. What can I do to convert mine to something better? Do I have to change my hubs? Will a 17.5 wheels fit? What size tire will be best? Where to buy? What prices? Thanks! I am north of atlanta. I can go toward Chattanooga or Asheville within a 2 hour distance all the same.

  25. #25Mountainmover2015-05-04 21:21

    Some pictures

  26. #26Mountainmover2015-06-04 16:24

    Any updates on how to swap to better tires and rims for this style of lowboy?