Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wyoming / Colorado Mining Trip — Please for help

Swiss Miner ยท 2013-04-03 18:07

Hi all at this nice and competent Forum I am at work to planning a trip to Colorado and Wyoming in June this year only for visiting open pit mines and taking pics from large equipment. now i have a few questions. can anyone give me some help to entry a mine like wyodak or so? it is possible to taking equipment pics from outside of the mines in the powder river basin? where are working LeTourneau L 1850 or L2350 in this two states? further have it anyone komatsu 575 super dozer or a WA1200 loader? which is a visitor friendly mine where i can contacting and ask for a visit? if anyone here can give me a helping information to this theme so i am really thankful. all is welcome. i work in switzerland as a mining manager, over the years i visited some mines but i plan this for first time in the USA. i have a big experience in mining and security rules and as a great mining equipment enthusiast i don't visit mines like a tourist. i am happy to find a response here or contact me on [email protected] Many thanks and best regards Karl

Replies2
  1. #1AustinM2013-04-04 22:48

    I THINK (because I don't know for sure) that ALL mines in the powder river basin offer tours if you ask........I personally have never taken one but I have been told that all you have to do is ask.....As far as taking pictures from outside the mine, Buckskin Mine in the powder river basin has a highway running nearby and has a pullout (overlook) that you can take pictures from. I drove by about 4-5 months ago and you could see the haul trucks and a shovel working but it was from quite a ways away. WYODAK has an interstate running through it so that would be another spot that you can see the shovels and haul trucks but they too were quite a ways off. Maybe another poster that works over there can offer more assistance but like I said, I think all those mines will offer tours if you ask. And seeing as you aren't just your run of the mill tourist, maybe contact the mine directly and explain your interest as a fellow miner. I bet they would do it even if they don't offer tours. My neighbor from across the street works at Spring Creek Coal in Northeast Montana. I will ask him about the LeTourneau's next time I see him.

  2. #2AustinM2013-04-04 22:54

    I'm sorry, Spring Creek Coal is in Southeast Montana, not Northeast.