Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

X15 Combustion Gases in Coolant

Hunter013 ยท 2025-06-23 22:49

Truck has been low on coolant for a few weeks. Pressure tested it and it was slowly losing pressure, but we couldn't find any leaks. We used a combustion gas tester, and it showed that the coolant has combustion gases in it. Oil is also consistently low a quart or so a week, with no leaks found anywhere. I don't see any coolant in oil. I remember a while ago while looking around on Cummins quickserve I found troubleshooting for Combustion gases in cooling system, but now I can't find it. Could it be the EGR cooler? Air compressor? Or head gasket?

Replies4
  1. #1Coaldust2025-06-24 01:23

    How many hours/miles? EGR cooler is a prime suspect.

  2. #2Hunter0132025-06-24 03:02

    340,000 mi, 16,000 hours

  3. #3Truck Shop2025-06-24 07:05

    Right mileage for EGR. A head gasket or cracked head won't necessarily show coolant in oil.

  4. #4Hunter0132025-06-24 10:30

    How can I check for EGR cooler? Take off both end of cooler and look for coolant?