Cummins X15 ESN: 80118491 Truck just had the dpf cleaned last week, and I have been seeing code 5177 pop on and off over the last few weeks. This morning the truck went down the road and a derate warning popped up. When I plugged into it, it had these codes. The 0556 and 1664 codes have come on before and I was able to just clear them and they haven't come back on until now. After I cleared all these out, the only code that came on was a 5177. I checked voltage coming to the VGT actuator and it was good. The resistance for the J1939 pins going to the actuator was at 110 ohms. Reading/watching videos I saw it should be 120. I checked the wiring from the VGT actuator to the ECM and everything checked out. There was oil in the J1 connector on the ecm. I assumed the oil contamination is a large issue to why I have so many codes so frequently. Everything I read says to change the actuator though.
I changed the VGT actuator, did the install/ calibrate on insite and everything works great. Hopefully this helps someone else who was freaking out like myself.