The supply hose to the hydraulic pump collapses when truck is running. Could it be that the filter inside the holding than is clogged and if so is there a way to clean it. I Checked the hydraulic fluid level in the tank and its at a normal level. There also seems to be fluid in the return hose to the tank. The fork lift works normally but the steering makes a lot of noise. It is an old Eaton-Yale lift truck, 1980 I think. the model number is GLP050RAJUAS086. Does anyone have any ideas.
If suction hose is collapsing there must be some kind of restriction in the suction side of the system. Most hydraulic systems have a screen not a filter on the suction side. My first thought would be to drain hydraulic tank and remove the suction line and check for problems there. Thinking maybe someone dropped something like a rag in the tank. Also make sure the suction hose is the correct type for hydraulic suction. PS if you think a 1980 is an old Yale what about our 1955! It was 1/4 century old when your's still had wet paint on it in the factory;-)
It is most likely a blocked strainer, but it could also be that the hose is just weak, especially if it spent a lot of time in cold environments which creates a higher suction in the line. I would replace the hose now no matter what you find since it will be more prone to collapse now, which will eventually kill the pump. I do know on the newer Yale's there is a big nipple screwed into the reservoir. If you take that out the sceen is attached to the back. ISZ
Thanks for your help I will try your suggestions but I was wondering, as a temporary quick fix, can I remove the suction hose on the tank a blow air into that outlet port to see it I can disloge the material thats clogging the screen to get my lift back up and running until I have more time to fully repair it. I know that there is no rag in the thak because it is fully enclosed except for the filler tube.
Thanks for your help, it was the strainer, I removed and cleaned it and everything is back to normal. Can't thank you enough. Saved me having to call for service repair and lots of money.
What did you find on the strainer?
Looked like a brownish-like goo. I wiped it down and cleaned it with gasoline and let dry before putting it back in the tank. Started the truck back up and everything is working normally again and the old suction hose is not collapsing any more. Maybe the hydraulic fluid was old. My machine is outdoor all year long even in the winter.
I know I would be changing that oil and any filters fast, probably two or three times. Might even be worth flushing the tank with some fuel oil first. Drain oil, fill with diesel agitate as best as possible then drain. If it looks nasty repeat till it looks good then change oil and filters a couple times including cleaning strainer each time. Run it to warm it up good between drains and drain while warm, over night if possible. A few gallons of hyd. oil and a couple filters are cheap compared to new pump or control valves and cylinders.
Thanks for the recommendation, I will perform that service asap.