I made what I thought was a too-low offer (half of scrap value) on an old 20K machine, and now it's mine. It's missing it's data plate, but is a Yale G3P-200-???? (I was able to i.d. it by online pics) with one of the old GMC big block V6's in it. Has a 4-speed manual trans, clutch, cab (some missing glass) with heater, etc. Foam filled tires that the tread's mostly gone on. One feature I haven't seen before is a swinging / swivel boom -- there's a 4th function beyond the sideshift lever that will let you swivel the boom side to side in an arc, so if you're not pulled up to something perfectly straight, you can align it with that lever. That and the sideshift aren't working right now, but they're there and appear complete. The GMC V6 (probably a 305) starts right up and revs cleanly. There are factory dual exhausts coming up through the hood for this engine, so kind of a cool look. It's a dual-fuel engine but the current owner never tried it with gas. So LP only. The axle looks like a truck axle, probably an Eaton since Yale-Towne-Eaton was a thing back then. It has an extra reduction drive on the front of it which also houses a drum parking brake. The juice brakes need fluid. Tires are 10.00-20's all the way around but with Budd wheels, so I think I can just buy some scrap Budd 11R22.5 wheels and tires to get it more modern. I'm going to use this thing to jockey some 20' seacans around for my welding business at a railyard. It'll cost more to get it transported here than it cost me to buy it, but if you've priced 20K machines recently, you can appreciate having one sitting on a yard functional for about $3500. Super old machine, probably from the 60's judging by the engine choice. Just curious if anybody here has ever run one or worked on one? Anybody have a line on some literature for it? I found a service manual or two on ebay but both are for versions with different engines -- one is for the Chrysler V8 and one is for a 3-71 Detroit. I know that these were offered in at least 15K, 16.5K, and 20K variations, and I know they were also available in standard and "van" length, which I believe means stretched....mine is pretty long and I'm sure it's a V version. Online info is virtually nonexistent on these old big Yales....I'd like to hear from anybody who's run or worked on one. If you know of spare manuals or spare parts sitting somewhere for one, or an old one in parts-machine condition, please post it here or at least PM me with it! Thanks in advance.
No replies yet.