Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Yanmar 4TNV88 rebuild

Pettiboner ยท 2021-05-30 19:03

Hey all! My Yanmar 4TNV88 needs rebuilding at 10,300 hours. I have never rebuilt a diesel engine but have done a few gassers successfully a few decades ago. Rebuild kits on Amazon are dirt cheap so I am tempted to dig into it. How difficult is sleeve replacement on this engine? Anyone familiar with the TNV engines from Yanmar? Any and all other tips would be appreciated too! Thanks in advance.

Replies4
  1. #1Tyler d4c2021-05-30 19:24

    Most likely a dry sleeve engine meaning if there not worn out of spec let them alone. If they do need replaced a machine shop will have to do it because after there pressed in they need bored to spec. I've never done any yanmars but can't see how it would be much different then the mix of other small diesel I've been in to. Just beware of China rebuild kits it can get expensive

  2. #2Pettiboner2021-05-30 19:40
  3. #3Pettiboner2021-05-30 19:42

    I see, Thanks Tyler. So the Amazon $575.00 "unbranded" kit might not be the way to go?..... And would I just deglaze the ole sleeves in place and put in new pistons and rings?

  4. #4Tyler d4c2021-05-30 19:45

    Yep hone them of there in spec new piston and rings and go with it