Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Year of Manufacture

Prospectorgav ยท 2014-10-18 05:31

Hello forum, I recently purchased a D7 bulldozer and a Clark 175B 8V-71 articulated wheel loader for gold prospecting in Australia. These are a couple of old jiggers and I do not know the year of manufacture of either machine and I put it out to the forum to help me out. The D7 dozer is a model 11025, engine 3T1617, S/N 703623 and the loader is a Clark 175B, engine 8V-71, engine number 08VA 284915 (70827000), S/N 427-103-ASC. Both are good runners as the last owner was a diesel fitter and saved them both from the scrap heap and carried out repairs to keep them going by rebuilding the engines on both.

Replies4
  1. #1old-iron-habit2014-10-18 09:59

    3T1617 is a good 3T serial number that shows to be a 1945 model. Where did the number 703624 come from on the machine. That might be a part number on some casting. I don' t have a 3T parts book to check. The last 3T built was in 1955. The serial number was 3T28058. Cant help you on the Clark.

  2. #2Prospectorgav2014-10-18 17:44

    I received a piece of paper with the data on it from the previous owner for the loader and dozer. I know the numbers for the loader are good as he had the incorrect parts manual. I sourced the serial number and purchased the correct manual and have been ordering parts for it. I have not checked the numbers myself on the dozer against the paperwork as I have not required parts. Do you know where I might look for the serial and model numbers on the dozer?. I did not realize it was that old. The previous owner told me it used to have a donkey engine which would be started first to start the main engine. That has been removed and a 24v starter motor fitted.

  3. #3old-iron-habit2014-10-18 19:16

    The serial number plate is on the back of the machine higher on the left side on the transmission case a bit below the fuel tank. If it is torn off you can usually see the rivet stubs. Clean it up there as they are normally stamped into the metal also. Also there should be one on the engine, not 100% sure where on a 3T, but are normally on the left side toward the back as from sitting on the seat. If it is a 3T it would have had a pony motor originally. Curious what it has for a charging system. Post some pictures when you can. There is a lot of 3T information on the ACMOC site also.

  4. #4Prospectorgav2014-10-18 21:53

    Cheers for that information, it has been more than enough. I have never been on a forum before and this site is of great value to me as I am an electrician by trade and prospect on weekends. I know a little about machinery but not too much and this is a big footstep purchasing these machines. The machinery is parked about 50 miles from here on my brothers lease. Next time I'm out I will get some photos as I also do not have any and will post some of them. I have only been out there a couple of times since purchase. As with the charging system, there isn't any. With the stealing that goes on out the bush here when you leave machinery unattended, I remove the batteries and leave them in my shed back at home on trickle charge and refit them each time and this is enough for starting each weekend.