does anybody know about the holiday called yom kpper? I had a couple of workers tell me that they needed the day off tomorrow for yom kipper, but don't know what it is. i thought they were kiddin, then they told me that they would make a discrimination claim if they didn't get it off. said something bout it's the same as easter. don't know what they mean, can anybody shed some light on this? did anybody else have this come up?thanks, guys.
"Yom Kippur" is a Jewish holiday and is religious in nature. An excerpt from Wikipedia: Being its a religious holiday, they would more than likely have a case if they pushed the issue.
Just find them some work on Christmas Day and its a fair exchange?
It's not a legal holiday in the sense that the government recognizes it. So it's a personal thing with those two fellas. But the fact that they decided to propose making a federal case out of it suggests that both might have the makings of becoming jailhouse lawyers, and these would be people that you do not want working for you. They are always looking for an opportunity to give their employer a good shafting. Certainly you do not have to pay them for the day off. I'd watch their work much more closely and document every violation of company rules and regulations. Then give them an opportunity to find other employment at first chance. On the other hand, if these guys are really skilled and experienced workers and otherwise seem to be good employees, than it's up to you to decide whether they are worth losing once in a while to some otherwise unrecognized event. Good Luck!
Holiday or not, sounds like a bunch of hacks working with you. I've worked Christmas, Thanksgiving, Father's Day, Mother's Day, Easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, you name it.
Also quoted from Wikipedia: It is an observed holiday in my area, the public schools are closed. I don't feel you are obligated to pay them for the time off, but to a practicing Jew it is as important a holiday as Christmas and Easter are to Christians. I imagine that there are non-practicing Jews who would abuse the holiday, much as there are atheists who reap the benefits of the Christmas holiday without celebrating its meaning. I'm guessing the Jewish population as a percentage in the areas some of you are from is very low, around me they are not uncommon at all.
After a tip from another member, I offer this: That quote comes from another thread where the topic of Judaism came up. It appears Wolf that you are very familiar with Jewish holidays and traditions and from that I can only surmise that this thread was started to create controversy. For that reason it is now closed. Any future posts of this manner will be dealt with in a much harsher manner.