Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Zacklift

Truck Shop · 2017-04-08 20:29

I have been looking at putting together a tow unit for the trucking company I work for. And I think the best way to go is build a truck with a Z353 Zacklift with 25,000 lb stiff legs and a 30,000 lb drag winch. Looking at a 2000 379 Pete with a 450 hp Series 60 and 10spd with 3:55's. I will stretch it to 300 WB. And just install some tool boxes and tandem fenders. Sort of like this one. But it will be a permanent mounted lift. Truck Shop

Replies97
  1. #1crane operator2017-04-13 22:03

    Several of the wrecker and heavy truck scrapyard guys by me have gone to this: http://www.protote.com/ No wheel lift on them, but saves pulling axles and drivelines, when you pick up rears. If you pull front bumper I think you can front tow, but it would be hard not to damage the grill with it.

  2. #2Truck Shop2017-04-14 07:49

    I've looked at those but as you noted it's hard to use from the front without damage. Between NRC and Zacklift they make the only ones that set forward in the frame close to rear drive housing to put more of the load toward steer axle. And I will probably go with the Zacklift because there built here in Washington St. But thanks for the idea. Truck Shop

  3. #3hvy 1ton2017-04-15 23:54

    This is probably a stupid question, but what advantage do you get with a permanent mount lift?

  4. #4Truck Shop2017-04-16 08:04

    The wheel lift is mounted closer to the rear drive axle on the permanent mount. Moving the weight closer to the drives and takes less weight off the steer. Plus it is just a better set-up overall. Truck Shop

  5. #5td25c2017-04-20 19:47

    Spotted this 84 W 900 with Holmes 750 & Zack . As usual it's on the opposite end of the country from Washington State . https://raleigh.craigslist.org/bfs/6093575412.html Be interesting to see what the cat's asking for it ?

  6. #6Truck Shop2017-04-20 22:16

    I will send them an e-mail and see what there asking. Thanks td. Truck Shop

  7. #7RZucker2017-04-20 22:17

    Not a bad looking rig.

  8. #8td25c2017-04-21 21:21

    I thought it looked pretty nice as well with the 750 & Zack already mounted . Seen this dilemma from both sides . One side is buy a truck & then dismantle it to then build it up to what you want . Stretch , double frame , mount wrecker bed & so fourth . That's what we did with our 84 KW wrecker . Quite a bit of time & material doing it that way but get what you want & know what ya have . Then on the other hand there is merit buying a truck already set up close to what you want for the rite price even if it needs a little work . About like buying an existing home verses building a new one ?

  9. #9Truck Shop2017-04-30 18:28

    Going tomorrow to look this one over for a permanent mount tow unit. It's a 248 wheel base so by adding a short section of frame I can move the front drive to where the rear drive is now. With a 52" spread I will have the 300" wheel base I want. It's a 85 359 extended hood with 660,000 original miles, 7FB 400 Cat, 13spd. Hopefully they will dicker with me on price. Front fenders are new. Engine has had work done. Truck Shop

  10. #10Junkyard2017-04-30 19:15

    Pretty clean lookin JWAC motor. I like the 359's. I'm about half tempted to go buy my old one back. What kind of money they asking for it? You see them priced all over the range. Junkyard

  11. #11Truck Shop2017-04-30 19:41

    If your looking for another 359 here's one in Pixley CA. Out of framed air to air 425 Cat 1986 model with rebuilt rear drives, drive lines and 18sp. $30,000. 100,000 miles on rebuild. Truck Shop

  12. #12Junkyard2017-04-30 19:54

    I see retarder parts....I love me a brake saver! Not a bad lookin truck. I need another like a hole in the head lol. I have two trucks on the yard I need to get back into to shape to use or run. Junkyard

  13. #13RZucker2017-04-30 23:29

    I gotta say I like the red one. It really needs the proper single round headlights and the proper swan ornament on the hood. Otherwise that's pretty graceful... JMO.

  14. #14Truck Shop2017-05-01 18:46

    Well I didn't by that Pete,I bought this 94 W900 instead. Series 60 430 hp. 13spd, 40-145 R rear drives on Reyco 4 bag air. 300,000 on factory reman Detroit same on rears. Truck Shop

  15. #15hvy 1ton2017-05-01 19:12

    I have a lot of love for flattop KW's. One of my friends in ID converted his to unibilt style cab suspension and it sure works nice.

  16. #16td25c2017-05-01 20:08

    Sure looks like a good foundation to start from Truck Shop , I like it !

  17. #17Truck Shop2017-05-16 20:42

    Some pics of the KW I bought to build a tow truck out of. Finished up with some repairs today, tomorrow we will remove the rear drives and suspension to lengthen frame. It's 230" WB now when done it will be 300" WB. Truck Shop

  18. #18hvy 1ton2017-05-16 20:49

    Excited to see where this goes. Never did mention that you're reasons for a permanent mount lift make sense.

  19. #19Truck Shop2017-05-16 21:06

    When you have been in the business as long as I have the one factor you always remember. {Dispatchers} If there is a tractor in the yard with a fifthwheel-they can't help themselves, they will put a load on it. Most are paid a base with commission so they will grab anything that barely rolls no matter what. No fifthwheel No problems. Truck Shop

  20. #20Junkyard2017-05-16 21:18

    Ah yes they can't help themselves. We used to have one, Barney, he'd have a load, empty yard except for an old wore out local trailer. He'd walk around it and kick tires or whatever. Then he'd proudly proclaim "yep it'll make the trip" load her up. Didn't matter if it was from Tulsa to OKC or frickin LA it was a done deal in his mind. Good strategy ;-) Junkyard

  21. #21hvy 1ton2017-05-16 22:51

    I hadn't even considered the dispatch issue.

  22. #22Truck Shop2017-05-17 20:55

    Today's progress-removed the suspension and cut the rail off to accept the new rail and inserts plus cleaned out the existing rail. New rail and inserts will be here tomorrow morning. Truck Shop

  23. #23Truck Shop2017-05-18 22:07

    I'm going to stop posting this thread on this forum because I have one going on Heavy Truck Forum under towing. Less time spent for me and less clutter over here. Thanks for looking. Truck Shop

  24. #24RZucker2017-05-19 00:58

    Well... One last post. somewhere around the time you mount the lift, give me a call. I'd like to come down on a Saturday and see this project. Might even buy the coffee this time.

  25. #25Truck Shop2017-05-24 23:20

    That sounds good, I will make a fresh pot of shop coffee for you. Truck Shop

  26. #26Truck Shop2017-05-31 21:08
  27. #27hvy 1ton2017-05-31 21:10

    Looking good Truck Shop.

  28. #28Junkyard2017-05-31 21:22

    Making progress! At least somebody is

  29. #29Truck Shop2017-06-02 22:01

    Just welding. Truck Shop

  30. #30Truck Shop2017-06-12 20:16
  31. #31crane operator2017-06-12 20:39

    I did have a old boy tell me "real wreckers aren't bought, they're built" It looks great truckshop. I take it the uprights/ main pivot posts are from Zacklift, and you made the rest, or did you have to fab the pivot's too?

  32. #32Truck Shop2017-06-12 20:49

    Those upper mounts are part of the Zacklift package. They built them that way so you can mount any poundage Zacklift, 25K, 35K or the 45K one mount fits all. Except you better build it their way or you will have a mess. Truck Shop

  33. #33crane operator2017-06-12 21:05

    So they give you a drawing/ specs of where they want it mounted? and all the subframe specs, etc.

  34. #34Truck Shop2017-06-12 21:23

    It's not really a drawing just a rough idea of how to build the sub-frame. Because of the different wheel bases and rear suspension possibilities it's up to you to figure out what is needed. Note I had to rebuild the rear axle air bag crossmember and position it forward and down at the bottom of the rear housing. So the lift will tilt below ground level. Every inch you can position the mount forward gives you more weight on the steer axle. The sub-frame is 4"x 6"x 3/8"x 18'6" Truck Shop

  35. #35crane operator2017-06-12 21:41

    Will it have extra tall axle stops or blocks for winching, or do you plan to just dump the bags? I see you've got park cans on both axles already, I've seen some guys put in a valve to apply air pressure instead of relying on the springs to hold the brakes. You probably won't have stiff legs will you? You're not planning on much winching, just swapping mostly? Front weight, or just relying on wheelbase? Sorry for all the questions, I've got a old wrecker bed/ winch frame, in the back yard- I got most of the stuff gathered up a year or two ago to mount it, to a truck I don't have. Then I got sidetracked and have never gotten back to it. Too many irons in the fire I guess. (I think its more that if I get it put together- I'm going to have to go use it on a dark and rainy night, and I really don't want that ).

  36. #36Truck Shop2017-06-12 22:34

    It will possibly get a 30,000 lb drag winch down the road and some stiff legs, that's the reason for the extra after frame. I like getting up in the middle of the night especially in bad weather, not many people on the highway. I've always liked driving in bad weather it makes it more interesting. When I get this done a trip from Walla Walla where I live to Grand Forks N.D or Loveland Colorado will be a nice break from the shop. Truck Shop

  37. #37Shimmy12017-06-13 01:53

    When you make that trip to Grand Forks, the short way from 94 goes right past our shop. I'd have a pot of coffee ready for the inspection c'mon.

  38. #38Truck Shop2017-06-17 20:52
  39. #39Truck Shop2017-06-23 21:44

    Getting down to the wire. Truck Shop

  40. #40hvy 1ton2017-06-23 21:58

    Looking good Truck Shop. Those work/reverse light mounts look slick. Who makes the big box on the passenger side?

  41. #41old-iron-habit2017-06-23 22:29

    It sure is going to be an eye catcher as well as useful. You fabrication skills are great. I have been following this thread with anticipation of what's next.

  42. #42Truck Shop2017-06-23 22:49

    Thank you, That box is a Pro Tech that was laying around the shop for years. It came from a 48' flat. The door opened downward so we removed the hinge moved it to the front and it swings open at the rear. But Pro Tech is so over priced and their quality isn't what it use to be. Those other boxes are Buyers for half the price and will do what we need. Truck Shop

  43. #43Junkyard2017-06-23 23:17

    Lookin good man. Can't say I've ever seen a middle fender bracket done quite like that That truck is similar to the KW I have that may end up repowered. Or I'll bite the bullet and rebuild the motor in it and do the 6NZ conversion. Keep up the good work and come visit Oklahoma but wait until about October!

  44. #44Truck Shop2017-06-24 07:36

    Those fender mounts are that way because I had three boxes of tag fender mounts already and it's much easier than screwing around building underneath mounts. I have used those many times before and it works well. Besides I like to do things different from everyone else. Truck Shop

  45. #45hvy 1ton2017-08-07 02:16

    You still making progress Truck Shop or are they keeping you too busy?

  46. #46DMiller2017-08-07 11:56

    Dam you do some Purdy work!! Love the stretch and the paint up. Lots of hours there. Those SSHD Rockwells? Had I bought the '75 A-car I would be in this frame of mind as the inner rails were still good just the outer rail was morphed too far plus I could have gone with a different bed. I am still thinking on it.

  47. #47Truck Shop2017-08-07 19:12

    Thanks- Taking care of our trucks plus customer harvest trucks. With harvest going I put things off on the tow unit, but should be finishing it soon. Those rear drives are 40-145 Rockwells. Truck Shop

  48. #48Truck Shop2017-09-02 15:36

    Finally getting done with it, picked up the rest of the lift Wednesday. Installed and plumed, still have to build a fork rack. We will test it next week. Truck Shop

  49. #49DMiller2017-09-03 09:28

    Don't think you have enough wheelbase!! Maybe another foot or two, you know 'Two foot-itis' as in boats!!! Ought to ride good.

  50. #50crane operator2017-09-03 11:01

    I think all the wheelbase is to act like counterweight for lifting capacity? Keeps it from getting too light on the front axle. It sure does look nice.

  51. #51Truck Shop2017-09-03 19:23

    Correct, some are built to 330" wheel base but then you really lose turning radius. This one is 300" WB and it still turns fairly well. It weighs 24,800 now, steer axle weight is 11,300. When you lift one of our trucks by the front axle it will take 2,500 lbs off the steer. Leaving only 8,800 on the steer. Lifting the rear axles or towing from the drive axles it will have about 9,900 on the steer. Driving in winter you want steer axle weight. Truck Shop

  52. #52DMiller2017-09-04 05:36

    Was being a little ornery and jealous at the same time! Is sweet looking machine and I am well aware they need be long!

  53. #53Truck Shop2017-09-04 16:05

    Hooked up and test drove, no problems. Truck Shop

  54. #54Truck Shop2017-10-05 20:41

    https://www.facebook.com/ZackliftIn...7005233316369/542094622807426/?type=3&theater left click on pic and it will expand. Truck Shop

  55. #55RZucker2017-10-05 20:52

    Looks pretty good. Have you used it for bringing one home yet? Passed one of your guys on I-90 yesterday... They probably wonder who the crazy dude that waves at them all the time is.

  56. #56Truck Shop2017-11-07 21:17

    To finally answer your question have I used it yet-yes. I put 520 miles on it today towing one to Portland Or. and brought one back. Just got in an hour ago. Cruises right down the road. I added some grille bars, 24" Grover round tooters and removed the fiberglass visor and installed a stainless visor a friend gave me, looks sharp more like a W900A. Truck Shop

  57. #57Junkyard2017-11-07 21:20

    You just wanted a toy

  58. #58Truck Shop2017-11-07 21:29

    I don't know if I wanted a toy but I like being away from the shop and the phone for sure. Truck Shop

  59. #59Junkyard2017-11-07 21:42

    I can darn sure relate to that!

  60. #60td25c2017-11-07 22:25

    That's cool . Tractor swap ? Haul one out & drag one back ?

  61. #61RZucker2017-11-07 22:43

    Well the harvest craziness is over up here, so you may get a call in the next few weeks to stop by and see it. I haven't been down that way for quite a while. Might drive down that way and loop back around through Central Ferry... since you cant cross the Dams anymore. Grr.

  62. #62Truck Shop2017-11-08 07:32

    Buzz on down there's always fresh coffee in the shop . Truck Shop

  63. #63Truck Shop2017-11-08 21:21

    Yup a tractor swap, the boss really liked how smooth it went. Didn't have to pull another truck off a load to cover the one that layed down, had a spare in the yard to take. Truck Shop

  64. #64td25c2017-11-08 21:55

    That's what spare trucks & wreckers are made for Truck Shop . Nice work !

  65. #65Truck Shop2017-11-10 17:56

    A pic of it before and now. Truck Shop

  66. #66crane operator2017-11-10 18:14

    I like the dropped down stacks, I need to do that to my western star, mine are too tall (I'm also kicking around removing the chrome wing it came with). Did you just put on new exhaust tips, or did you do all new exhaust? I like the little touches like the painted bumper mounts for the pull hooks. I noticed on the zacklift ad, they showed all your fork mounts on a rack. I didn't see it in your other pictures, and wondered if you ended up with them in a box so they wouldn't get "borrowed"? It is sure a nice looking truck.

  67. #67DMiller2017-11-10 19:34

    Not much to improve on a W900

  68. #68Truck Shop2017-11-10 19:54

    Thanks! I built the fork rack later on after installing the lift. And yes I replaced the exhaust system, but I already had the mufflers, elbows and Y pipe that I ordered for a customer a year ago who never showed up for the repair. And those short stacks are from some long ones I cut down. The round horns cost 45.00 the visor was free and the extra grille bars 40.00. I like to keep it cheap-I screw my socks on in the morning my wife tells me . Truck Shop

  69. #69Truck Shop2017-11-19 21:08

    Thanks for driving down to Wally World for the visit today RZ. Fun time. Truck Shop

  70. #70RZucker2017-11-19 21:21

    We had a great time today. Got to get out and see some country too. Crossed back over the river at Lyons Ferry, stopped a Sonny's in Washtucna for lunch and puttered home through Ralston and Lind.

  71. #71Truck Shop2018-09-25 21:12

    The tow truck has been in use for almost one year now and has made 22 company tows. Figuring the average cost of a tow, pulling another truck off it's trip to finish the load of the broke one, and or motels for the stranded driver the average money save each time around 3,500 buck's. 22 X 3,500=77,000. Damn near everyone including the boss were skeptical about the amount of use and savings, the boss isn't skeptical anymore. As a matter of fact Freightliner will cover $550 of each tow bill on any rig with less than 200,000 miles on it. Made tow #22 last night round trip 320 miles. My whole reason for the company to have it's own tow/wheel lift was that trucks have become so unreliable. The fact is it's a good thing truck manufactures don't build airplanes. Truck Shop

  72. #72DMiller2018-09-26 07:17

    Is a shame newer equipment is so unreliable where a company is so much better off building their own and using their own tow machines. Was one of my jobs requirements in the late 70's to be wrecker driver for Midwestern Distribution due to the seemingly excessive equipment failures of those days. The company had their own wrecker 1956 Diamond gas single axle and a pair of fifth wheel latch in lifting booms to drag the junk to and from downed equipment sites. That old Diamond was more reliable than the 70's Freightliner COEs we had.

  73. #73RZucker2018-09-26 22:37

    Excellent ROI there. And it's quite the looker too.

  74. #74crane operator2018-09-26 23:17

    There are a lot of tyson turkey farms south of us in arkansas. They have two of their own mack tow trucks with no wheel lifts, just a wrecker body. I see them all the time, between the turkey trucks and the feed trucks, and arkansas roads and narrow farm driveway's, they stay busy.

  75. #75RZucker2018-10-30 00:21

    Just got the call from Truck shop, he has a local tow issue. I'll be meeting him shortly to assist. Hopefully I can get some pics in the dark.

  76. #76Truck Shop2018-10-30 20:23

    Thanks for the help RZ, made it home by 3:00 am. Repaired the spades this morning, didn't take much. Truck Shop

  77. #77RZucker2018-10-30 20:47

    I'll get some pics posted up after I shower the burnt cow poo odor off. Did a lot of cutting and gouging on that trailer today. I'd rather be doing a 2stroke Detroit inframe.

  78. #78RZucker2018-10-30 22:56
  79. #79RZucker2018-10-30 23:04

    There's the pics of this early mornings festivities, as you can see, the "driver" got high centered on the landing gear and had at least one driver hanging in the air and one barely touching. Had to winch it from the side, there was a pallet pile blocking rear access, and well, obviously it couldn't go forward.

  80. #80RZucker2018-10-30 23:13
  81. #81RZucker2018-10-31 00:10

    The swirling, eerie mist is vapor from the French fry cookers in this plant, My other half wanted to post them. She thought the steam added an interesting touch.

  82. #82petepilot2018-10-31 01:41

    thats embarassing I had my lowboy hung up in the middle of 99 down in tacoma one day

  83. #83Truck Shop2018-10-31 07:49

    I don't find it embarrassing {actually it's a really bad dock to bump, blind side back all the way}. But this kind of stuff keeps me busy-every trucking company has these incidents 24-7. But the driver of this truck is sharp as a marble also.----Great photos RZ. Truck Shop

  84. #84RZucker2018-10-31 19:36

    I hung one up on a state scale in Colorado once... Oops. I did manage to get backed up and go around. They gave me a pass because I had the original axle out slip when I loaded in Trinidad.

  85. #85RZucker2018-10-31 19:40

    I thought Junkyard was supposed to be there to help too? Musta missed a connecting flight. So much for 3 Amigos.

  86. #86Truck Shop2018-10-31 21:18

    I put in a call but I was told he was out feeding the goats. lol Truck Shop

  87. #87old-iron-habit2018-11-01 23:37

    He may have said goats but????????????baaa.

  88. #88DMiller2018-11-02 09:15

    I high centered a 48 foot 50t Load King at a jobsite LOADED, with nobody around, no radio reception and no phone near, ended up had to use the trailer to raise the truck frame enough to get jacks under it and raise the truck for cribbing to get out, four hours later my boss was furious it took me so long. Trailer was a fold down neck square back so NO unloading going to happen.

  89. #89Junkyard2018-11-02 09:20

    Good grief y’all are on it! Haha. I’m licking my wounds from Tuesday when the KS DOT and I had a chat . 22k heavy lol. I must have missed the bat signal through all the French fry vapors! Feeding, ***king hey whatever works right!

  90. #90RZucker2018-11-02 18:10

    So, how did that chat work out?

  91. #91petepilot2018-11-02 18:44

    yea I`m curious about the ks conversation to?

  92. #92Junkyard2018-11-02 20:07

    Ummmmm they don’t have all the numbers added up yet. Stay tuned! Haha He was actually as cool as he could be about it all. Had to leave the load and get Superload permit yada yada.

  93. #93RZucker2018-11-02 20:40

    So buying a piece of paper makes it all good? Or do you have to reconfigure the trailer to make them happy?

  94. #94Junkyard2018-11-02 23:52

    Another piece of paper after a structure survey. Three days. I knew better, just trying to get ahead of the game on things lol. It’s been years since I had a run in of that magnitude!

  95. #95RZucker2018-11-03 00:11

    So the 22K over was just a technicality? How many axles?

  96. #96Junkyard2018-11-03 06:28

    8 axles. I would call it more than a technicality. Thankfully he only wrote me up for the weight I was over my original permit. If he’d have busted me back down to legal in KS, 85,500, that would have been very very expensive. I’m sure it’s several grand.

  97. #97TVA2018-11-03 08:32

    Just a heads up - right now you can buy a 55000 on military take off ( DP/Tulsa, two speed planetary gear with air/hydro operated free unspool clutch) for $2500-3000. Place In Texas, they are overstocked!