Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Zerk fitting removal

reddog848 ยท 2009-03-12 15:13

I have a BDG series II dozer that I can not remove the zerk on the blade lift, (pin that holds blade to dozer). It is a recessed (dimple) type pin. I can remove the pin but that won't help because of the recess. I have tried every thing I can think of to get it out but no luck. The zerk hs been rounded off over the years I guess and short of just using a chisel and redrilling and tapping I can't seem to find a way to get it out:beatsme. I have tried a smaller socket and tapped it on but it just rounds it off more. Last resort I guess would be a new pin with a zerk in it. I really need some expert advice here, I would have thought in my old age I would know of some way to do it but guess I need some real help now!:bash:bash I sure would appreciate any help from you guys. By the way, Deas I know you must have a solution to this short of total destruction . Thanks guys, Reddog848

Replies9
  1. #1RonG2009-03-12 15:22

    I would drill it out and use an EZout.Try to sleeve the hole so that you drill exactly on center.If you have another pin elsewhere on the machine that is the same size you can remove it to get proper drill size.Ron G

  2. #2CAT D9H2009-03-12 15:52

    I agree , just make sure you dont break the EZout cause its nearly impossable to drill one out , you could also try needle nose Vise Grips

  3. #3reddog8482009-03-12 16:15

    needle nose vise grips I tried that already . The recess is bowl shaped and it won't let me use anything larger than a socket. Next step I guess is to blow it with the gas axe:beatsme. reddog848

  4. #4Nothinbetter2009-03-12 16:56

    Without seeing it I don't know if my idea would work. If you have a wire welder. A short roll pin that just fits inside the recess (or any small steel tube). Weld the roll pin to the top of the grease fitting by going down through the center. Then quench it with some PB blaster after it has cooled some but still very warm. This hopfully will loosen the rust on the fitting and suck the blaster down inside the threads. Grip the roll pin with some vice grips. I've done something similar to remove broken fasteners.

  5. #5stumpjumper832009-03-12 17:22

    I have a tool called a "bolt out" its a socket but the inside is like an easy out. Its designed to remove bolts with rounded off heads. Its even made by craftsman, so if your impact gun ruins it, sears gives you a new one. maybe other tool makers make them too. IDK. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...Tools&cName=Hand+Tools,+General+Purpose&sName

  6. #6Buckeye Bandit2009-03-12 17:25

    If you have enough room for a socket,maybe the Bolt Out Tool from Sears will get a hold of it.Works like a female easy-out and doesn't require drilling or the always fatal broken easy-out .I've used them for years and have yet to break even the smallest one.

  7. #7WesternStar2009-03-12 18:38

    Along the same lines as what 'Nothinbetter' suggested, take your torch and heat up the fitting, then hit it with the PB. Do this a time or 2, tap it with the hammer too maybe, and then try the bolt-out or ez-out methods. The expansion and contraction caused by the heating and cooling should help break 'er loose.

  8. #8CAT D9H2009-03-12 18:54

    I also have a set of the bolt outs, SAE. by Irwin and metric by Craftsman, those also work great dont really have to worry about breaking them , if you dont already have a good set , its worth the $50 for the SAE and metric set

  9. #9idler2009-03-12 22:34

    I am with wester on this deal, once you heat it, sprayed water inside the hole, then use the easy out and watch that baby come out.