Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

zero backlash on new case shuttle gears

ManicACMechanic ยท 2013-11-21 00:48

I received my new input shaft for my 480 b manual shuttle and installed it with a new synchro pack. After mounting the reverse idler gear, the input shaft is Very tight to turn, as it appears to have practically no backlash to the idler/cluster. All bearings and other gears are the originals.. Has anyone on here ran into this problem on new gears. I've rebuilt manual transmissions on autos for over 4o years and am sure that it's assembled properly. I imagine it will loosen up after some easy breakin running, but it's a lot of work to have to do over if I'm wrong!

Replies6
  1. #1DMiller2013-11-21 12:29

    Somethings amiss, shuld be some play in the gears, is there an eccentric adjuster for the idler shaft? Is the bearing support slightly offset as a eccentric? If not you either have the wrong gear or you have something in the bearing shifting it offset.

  2. #2alrman2013-11-21 15:18

    Something is not right there, I would pull things apart & compare old & new parts - measure everything.

  3. #3ManicACMechanic2013-11-21 19:57

    I thought of the eccentric adjuster on the idler, but it's concentric. I called the manuf. and explained the problem and he suggested that the input shaft main bearing might be cocked in the case, but this isn't the case. I think it's a mismatch in the helix angles after painting the gears and turning them through to get a scrub pattern.. . The teeth on the new gear look thicker, but that might just be the new look. Anyway, they're sending a replacement so I'll see how it looks. Thanks for the replies.

  4. #4melben2013-11-23 15:28

    You did not say if it was Genuine Case parts or aftermarket. My experience with aftermarket has been mixed. There is no adjustment in those boxes as to gear clearance. Hopefully your supplier will get you going, keep us posted

  5. #5ManicACMechanic2013-11-27 11:43

    This was an aftermarket shaft. After receiving my replacement, I have the same problem just slightly less binding. I'm returning these and trying another source. What a hassle!:Banghead

  6. #6melben2013-11-27 20:21

    IMHO you would be better served to get genuine Case, you may pay more but I'm bettin it fits. I have seen shafts with teeth stripped off from inproper tempering. Mel