Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ZF 4WG-120 fluid type

phixxitt · 2022-05-17 20:26

Hello, I am new to this forum and to a Trojan 1900Z. I have an issue weigh the transmission not wanting to move the loader uphill. The previous owner added trans fluid to it just before I picked it because it was near empty but he doesn’t remember what type he put in. What is the fluid type recommended for this transmission? DexIII is what I use in my 345 Fiat-Allis with no issues but can’t find any info for this critter. Thanks in Advance…Steve

Replies8
  1. #1Bigbert2022-05-18 13:18

    Hi Phixxit, regular engine oil will do. See official lubricants list from ZF. No ATF recommended. Also available in www. Check oil level with engine idling, neutral, oil temp. t/m around 70 to 80 degrees C. No hill climb: Brakes not dragging? Engine enough power?

  2. #2phixxitt2022-05-18 14:45

    it was working ok when I first drove it off the trailer but needs to warm up to start moving. Only wants to try moving in third right now. The hydraulics are working with no issues. The motor seems to run good and rev fine. Starts right up every time. The brakes are non op and the loader will roll down hill alarmingly fast in neutral so I don’t think the brakes are dragging. The previous owner has been using ATF for as long as he can remember but used whatever he had around. Kinda scary.

  3. #3phixxitt2022-05-18 14:51

    What viscosity would you recommend for an older transmission?

  4. #4Bigbert2022-05-18 15:25

    10W-40 or 15W-40 is okay. No power: As I see it from far. There is no power in 1st and 2nd at all, only 3 and 4. There is a pressure cut off switch underneath (left) brake pedal cutting off pressure to KV (forward clutch) and KR (reverse) in 1st and 2nd. Could imagine this switch is broken, doesn't allow pressure to KV at all. Are you able to check pressures on control valve? M10x1 thread. If you need a manual for the tranny get me a pm.

  5. #5phixxitt2022-05-19 13:57

    I think I sent a PM. I am waiting for a filter to arrive to change the fluid. I would like to check the switch once i figure out where it is. I also noticed the collar that threads in the middle of the shaft between the motor and transmission (pic) was completely off. I started screwing back on and then took this picture. Should this be tighten up within an inch of it life or leave it loose?

  6. #6phixxitt2022-05-19 19:29

    Did fluid and filter change but still had the same problem. Lifted the left brake pedal fully up and the loader is back to normal. The switch was the show stopper but not anymore. Thanks for the tip Bigbert. You are my new best friend.

  7. #7Bigbert2022-05-20 09:07

    Hi Phixxit, great. And good to read about positive result. Unfortunately this doesn't happen always. What is a pity, as also the older guys still learning.

  8. #8curtisprc2023-11-21 08:38

    Hey guys, I'm new in this forum. But I have a 70's torjan 2000 I bought fairly cheap, I'm not sure where the tranny check and fill is located or what type of fluid to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.