I’ve got three Lull 944E-42, all with axle seals leaking on the front axle. I’ve picked up a seal and bushing to do one that’s leaking pretty bad. I found a manual for the axle and it’s showing a lot of specialty tools needed to get everything apart and replace and seal and bushing. Anyone tackled this job before? Can this be without any special tools?
Haven't done any on the zf axles yet. Done plenty on the Dana's I think the only real specialty tool I've needed was something to get the brake piston out and back in on those. From the pic you attached your looking at item 340 & 350 correct? If you have the knuckle off it looks pretty straightforward. Just something to pull the old seal & bushing and something to drive them in
I worked for Palmer Johnson for 8 years on rebuilding every powershift transmission, axle and Conv...the ZF axle is no different...ZF manuals will scare you into thinking you need tons of specialty stuff but for the most part no....just fabrication and ingenuity..c-clamps with a bridge and two sockets to removing return spring spiral locking spring...rest is easy...as far the the pinion nut you can get a 4wd hub socket at a auto parts store (have to have nut to match up) and a little shaving around the cogs and welding in a 4-5” extension will be plenty...I have the socket in my service truck if you need the size...it’s the same size for all MS T3060’s
But if we are talking about the inner axle seals and the inner hubs seal...no special tools..AT ALL...just the pain in the butt king pins....
I’ve done lots of these and didn’t even know that there were special tools involved in the process. Those probably make things easier to assemble. Good luck