Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

00 STERLING With a CAT C7 WITH A 7 SPEED SPICER-ONLY REVERSE AND FIRST GEAR!!!

HEAREMRATTLE ยท 2015-05-03 13:58

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just bought a 2000 Sterling C7 with 7 speed spicer. Bought as is from a delivery company. They have no info on it. Runs fine but only has reverse and first gear. When put into 2 3 4 5 6 7 gears and let clutch out it does not move at all. Its like the gears are gone. Could there be a shifter fork or top cover issue? I have no experience with this trans. Seems odd to have first and reverse only and loose other 6 gears. If anyone could advise me i would greatly appreciate it. Thank you kindly. Gil

Replies3
  1. #1BillG2015-05-03 14:54

    I rebuilt one a couple years ago but that one had lost 2nd-3rd. The synchronizer had grenaded because someone had left a 3/8 Snap-On extension inside the case. Just lucky it was picked up on a 2-3 shift rather than a higher one or the whole thing would have been left on the road. It doesn't really matter what is wrong inside as the transmission has to come apart to fix it anyway. A possible problem would be that the countershaft is snapped, front one I believe.

  2. #2Mike L2015-05-03 17:56

    I would pull up the shifter base and check the forks and also pull the drain plug and check for metal before I pulled the transmission.

  3. #3Old Doug2015-05-05 20:50

    I replased one last summer the guy was trying to sell it and let some one try it out. I pulled the top off to find a fork broken. I went to see about geting a fork and i thought something else must be wrong. It was the main shaft was broken into. This is a good time to get a real transmission.