Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

01 bobcat 873 question

plowguy1 ยท 2010-08-28 21:13

I just did the hydraulic oil change on my machine along with filters and case drain. My machine has 1100 hrs on it. When cleaning the case drain I found a good amount of metal shavings. I was just wondering if anyone knew what this could be? So far the machine runs real good. Just want to make sure everything is good. Thanks in advance for the help!

Replies6
  1. #1willie592010-08-28 21:17

    Welcome to the forum plowguy1. :usa Are you talking about one of the case drain filters coming from a drive motor?

  2. #2plowguy12010-08-28 21:41

    Yes that would be it.

  3. #3plowguy12010-08-28 21:43

    Thanks for the welcome

  4. #4willie592010-08-28 21:48

    Ok, first of all, there are two case drain filters, one for each drive motor. If you found a considerable amout of debris in one, that's a sure indication that some component wear is going on inside that drive motor and the filter is doing it's job. You might consider removing that motor and have it gone through before it grenades inside. Would cost little to rebuild if the damage is minimal, but if it blows, gonna get expensive to repair/replace. It's one of those things you can't say how long it will last. Might go another year, might blow tomorrow. And the real bad part is if it grenades inside, it will send all kinds of ugly stuff back into the drive pump which can destroy it. I think I'd feel better going through that motor now before it gets ugly.

  5. #5plowguy12010-08-28 22:03

    Thanks for the info, you confirmed what I was afraid of. I am going to figure out how to remove that and check it out. I told the dealer what was going on and there talking $650 to just to take it apart and tell me which motor ( they said it could be either motor or some other things that lead to this).

  6. #6willie592010-08-28 22:40

    Yeah, I hated to give you bad news, but it is what it is. I can't say for sure because I'm not a hyd motor rebuilder, but from my experience with Bobcat drive motors, it's best to fix them before they are FUBAR. On some older Bobcats, they used a roller stator motor that they made obsolete, meaning you can't get "that" motor replaced, have to purchase an "updated" replacement motor. And it seems I remember that replacement was over two big bills. And the motors are only available from Bobcat. But, if it's not destroyed, there is a possiblity that a hyd component shop can obtain rebuild parts and rebuild it for much less than replacement. Try this, remove the side covers from your machine and you'll see the drive motors. They should have a tag on them that has the motor info. Get the numbers off the motors and call these folks. I know they're in Georgia, not close to you, but call them and talk to the owner Ron. Tell him Paul from ATCO Equipment told ya to call him. Give him your numbers and ask him if these units can be rebuilt. He might have to do a little research and call you back, but he'll be able to tell you if your units can be rebuilt and give you an idea as to how much it will cost. And if they can, I'd consider having both motors gone through as one will be just as worn as the other. http://www.fpihydraulics.com/