Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

02 NH LB75 burned up odds of finding cab?

taggmann ยท 2009-11-16 22:48

I looked at a lb75 backhoe that had fire damage. To put it mildly. couple questions; What are the odds of finding a complete cab? what would just about every hose on the thing cost? it got hot enough to melt alum. suppose it got hot enough to melt internal engine parts? trans still has paint so it seems ok. Oh one more question; worth fixin'?

Replies5
  1. #1spitzair2009-11-16 23:27

    I don't have any personal experience with a burnt machine but have heard that they're problem children if they were repaired after an extensive fire. Do you have any pictures for the experts like Atcoequip to look at? Personally I don't think it would be worth fixing but I could be wrong. Just my 2 cents worth...

  2. #2Phil2009-11-17 05:32

    I have never heard anything encouraging about these fire wrecks. Most who fix them say they they end up breaking even if they are lucky. No used parts available so it's all new stuff. Not trying to put a pail of cold water on the idea. Not even mentioning the mechanical problems you could run into, how would the machine be viewed if you sell it someday and the customer sees a sign of fire damage? I saw a NH for sale a few years that had damage to the hoe controls as well as the cab. Perhaps an ROPS is an option, and cheap to buy as a wrecker has little demand for these. Phil

  3. #3taggmann2009-11-17 07:15

    Hi Fellas; I don't have pics and it sits about an hour away. Just imagine cab completely burnt, fire must have traveled under cab too, back to the hoe controls.. so pretty much all the hoses and tubes from front of engine to hoe controls would have to be replaced,also would have to flush everything.

  4. #4GOINGBROKE2009-11-17 09:45

    Sounds like they put it out too soon. The best thing that can happen with fire wrecks is to let them burn until there is no question if it can be repaired or not. Every one that I have gotten involved in I have regreted. But thats just my 2cents

  5. #5taggmann2009-11-19 00:56

    I think I can see a general consensus, who can guess all the problems it might have. Thanks. Taggmann