I'm looking at buying a Dressta '03 DH-8H DD ("Extra" I think) for $17,000. Can you tell me if you think it is a good deal? I don't know much about dozers or what they sell for. The under carriage is 60%. Also, what is the "vandalism protection?" Here are some specs on it: TD-8H DD Std. Angle Dozer 17” track Shoes Rear Screen – A042 Front Sweeps Roller Guards Forestry Exhaust pipe Vandalism protection It has rippers on the back of it too.
Also, I plan on hauling this dozer (18,000 lbs) with a 1 ton truck (F350) and hauling on a tandem dual axle trailer (10,000 lbs axles). Would that work? Sorry for such a basic question . . . My husband knows much more about this stuff than I do, but I've been the one put in charge of finding and buying a dozer.
As far as the vandalism protection, I believe it means that lockable latches are provided on the following: fuel tank, hydro oil tank, oil dipstick tube, oil filler cap, lid on your instrument panel and the weather cap on your exhaust pipe. It may encompass more than that and I'm sure someone will speak up who knows more than me.
As for is it a good deal? That would depend if the machine was mechanically sound. 60% undercarriage sounds like it needs undercarriage work, at least having the pins and bushings turned and maybe much more expensive repairs. You would want an experienced person to examine the dozer. Now it can also depend on the usage you are buying it for. If for personal usage that makes quite a differing economical decision than for commercial usage. As for hauling, the truck trailer combo you mentioned is inadequate. If you are only moving it once to your farm, a short distance, then you might chance it, but you would be breaking the law and endangering others. Much better to pay a professional contractor to move in that circumstance.
Just as a follow up since I noticed your other threads regarding your truck and trailer. Trailers are built with the idea some of the weight is transfered to the tow vehicle, typically a pull behind trailer is 10%, gooseneck - fifth wheel is 20%. You two dual wheel on the trailer are probably 16in 10 ply rated which gives 2460 lbs at 80lbs air inflation each. Thus one axle would be fully loaded at 9840lbs, both axles would give 19,680lbs. So doing the math on 18,000 lb dozer (BTW are you certain that is a accurate weight?) would give the trailers weight plus dozer and tie downs plus anything else you have loaded, like is the weight of the dozer with a full fuel tank? So just guessing the trailer is 5600lbs 18000 dozer 5600 trailer 300 gear 23,900 lbs Now 20% on truck of that would be 4,780 lbs thus 23,900-4,780=19,120 lbs. So it looks like you squeek by for weight but do you? Not really since you have no margin for error. If one of those tires blows you are immediately past the limits for the loading of the other tires. In order to have some margin for safety you want to at least be able to survive one tire going. One tire is 2460lbs recall, thus you are now only capable of hauling 17,220lbs on your trailer.
The TD8H Extra operating weight (less operator) is 16,885 lbs for a standard machine. The machine you are looking at with 17" shoes is considered standard.
I needed to know the exact weight of the machine to make sure we could haul it safely, so I wrote down the serial number and called Dressta with it to get the exact weight of the machine (according to the original invoice). It originally didn't originally come with rippers, but the lady at Dressta told me how many pounds the rippers would be. The dozer + rippers added up to be just under 18000 lbs. I have the exact numbers somewhere. According to the original invoice for this machine, the features listed in my original post would be considered "optional attachments." Looking at the spec sheet for this machine, it says that the STD dozer comes standard with 15" tracks, but it can be ordered with 17" tracks. I tried to attach the spec sheet here, but it was too large of a file. I'll see if I can shrink it to get it attached. Anyway, I really don't know anything about dozers. I'm just going off what the lady at Dressta told me. The Dressta people have GREAT customer service by the way. I was really impressed! When their website says, "Our professional and enthusiastic sales staff will be more than happy to receive your phone calls or e-mail inquiries" they weren't kidding! We decided to skip hauling it ourselves for a while. My husband has a buddy with an 18 wheeler that hauls heavy equipment that said he would haul our dozer for us. That will give my husband time to get his CDL, and for us to find a bigger truck to buy to haul it. I appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts! Every little bit of info helps. I've done so much research lately on buying and hauling dozers that I can hardly think straight any more, LOL!
Yea I forgot about the ripper. Good deal. The lady you spoke with is probably Janet and she is top notch. Awesome.
Happy dirt pushing! Sounds as if you did your research.