Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

06 31o sg engine miss

wweverett ยท 2012-11-03 09:20

Unit has 988 hrs, replaced ecm about 14 hrs ago. Ran good all day last saturday, started it up the next day and it ran good for about an hour then started to miss at about 1250 rpm with white smoke....runs smooth at idle and smooth at 2400 rpm. I changed fuel filter and replaced two injectors...no change so I swapped out the other two injectors....no change. Also unit will not puff black smoke untill turbo spools up...it used to. So it is obviously a fuel delivery issue....timing? Bad ECM? Loose wire? Injector pump? Has anyone had these issues before?

Replies3
  1. #1wweverett2012-11-05 07:15

    On another note, can you reove an ECM from another hoe and use it on a different one....to test a known working ECM?

  2. #2cutting edge2012-11-05 08:46

    You can swap ecu's from one sg tp another. Why did you change it anyways? You will need to access the service codes in your monitor and keep an eye for any that start with 1076. Chances are you need a new injection pump if you see this code. .....Also,what is your fuel quality like? You may consider running a fuel conditioner if youre using usld.

  3. #3wweverett2012-11-05 10:04

    I changed it because of the F9C4????code anyway dealer said that was the cod ethat would come up on a failed ECM..I ran it for a while like this and sometimes it wouldmpop and oher times it would not. Finally the gauges and the tach started acting funny...so dealer told me to install new ECM. I did that at 977 hrs....now at 988 miss at 1300 rpm with whit smoke.