So my 07 case 580 sm series 2 10600 hours and seems like the transmission slips. It has the carro shuttle shift. I’ve change the fluid and filter. I’ve checked the little screen. I use case hytran. It’s mostly in reverse and gets worse when it’s hot. Just today I loaded 3 tri axles in a parking lot backing up from a pile it wouldn’t move or would barely move. Kind of felt like slipping and sometimes if felt like it was slow to get into gear. Machines been great. I’m thinking it probably due for an overhaul. Machines spent its life doing natural gas work in Boston. Still doing the work just not in Boston. Anyone thoughts on it would be appreciated. And as far as rebuilding one.. any special tools and equipment to do the job or is it pretty straight forward?
Does your temperature gauge for torque converter / transmission run hot? Do a stall test, transmission in 4th gear, foot on brake, Loader Bucket on the ground. Engage forward and bring engine to full throttle for 30 seconds, declutch for 10 seconds or so stay at full throttle the temperature should drop slightly then back into gear. If the temperature gauge spikes quickly and doesn't cool down much I'd say torque converter problem. If the temperature stays in normal range you may have other problems. Do your pressure tests. I have included troubleshooting from service manual.
So I just did the stall test like you said. The temp gauge is about half way up. When doing the stall test the temp did rise and didn’t drop much when declutched at full throttle. It went up more than it would drop. I’ll probably have to have a mechanic/dealer do the pressure tests. I don’t think I’d have all the necessary fittings to do the tests. Also I attached a picture of the temp gauge from today while I was using the machine and while it was giving me problems. It’s not in the red and it’s only about half way in the green.
Oh and where’s my manors! thank you for the reply! I appreciate it
Torque converter is maybe ok if temp is in green and it's slipping
That’s the temp gauge that was this afternoon when I was loading a truck. I’m leaning towards worn clutch plates