Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

’07 Dodge 3500 first look.

watglen ยท 2010-07-18 18:20

Hey there Dodge fans, I just took delivery of a new to me 2007 3500 laramie, 5.9C, 6 spd. Very nice truck. It has 487,000 kms on it so far. Runs and drive great, and the only real problem with it is the previous owner (1 owner) hauled cattle, and it smells like he hauled them in the cab. Doesn't bother me at all, cows are a homey smell to me. I have never owned a diesel before so my first question is what should i be doing to it for a first service. I was thinking all new fluids. I normally go all synthetic. What filters are on that machine that i should be changing? Ken

Replies23
  1. #1DiamondLTruckin2010-07-18 18:50

    Fuel, Oil and Air Filters

  2. #2mikesheldon2010-07-20 01:09

    Really cool truck man but have did you put on 4,87,000km in just three years that truck looks like a brand new one.

  3. #3watglen2010-07-20 07:27

    It looks good from far. The paint has a lot of scuffs up close. I dropped it at the garage yesterday, and a quick look underneath revealed a lot of recent new parts. It may not need much to certify. The only thing that is questionable is when you shut it down, the engine gives the truck a pretty good shake. Not sure what that's about.

  4. #4watglen2010-07-20 07:42

    Here is another pic

  5. #5Bumpus2010-07-20 12:52

    . Check transmission and rear end fluids. Check power steering and brake fluid. Change antifreeze.

  6. #6Dusty Roads2010-07-20 19:29

    I had a 2004 that shake when you turn it off is normal,mine did it from day one.

  7. #7Dozerboy2010-07-20 22:26

    Synthetic are overrated really if you do normal maintenance. I have ran Delo 400 (a dino) for 15K in my GMC Duramax. Thats 5K past the recommended change interval and it was still good. I'm a fan of running syn in the diffs though.

  8. #8mikesheldon2010-07-21 01:12

    Really a very good truck dude,are you willung to sell it? If yes put up your thoughts.But i have some issues with the mile you had put on this truck.

  9. #9watglen2010-07-21 19:37

    I got the report back on the safety inspection. Rear pads, driver side front axle universal joint, chipped windshield. Thats all for the safety. Beyond that, a minor exhaust at the manifold outlet, seepage at the transfer case rear output shaft. A few lights here and there. In particular the dash is mostly dark, lots of lights there. All in we should be under $2500. Not bad after all And no, she's not for sale.

  10. #10JDOFMEMI2010-07-21 21:01

    Looks like you have a nice truck there. The Cummins is a great engine, and the 6sp makes it even better. As far as the miles, that translates to about 300,000 miles, or 100K per year. A lot, but not out of the question. Hiway miles are usually easier ones anyway. As said above, the shake is normal, and just the result of such a strong engine in a light (relatively) truck. Have fun with your new ride!

  11. #11watglen2010-07-21 22:10

    thanks Jerry.

  12. #12mikesheldon2010-07-22 01:17

    How much you can tow with that truck or how much you have tried to tow.Since I am too planing to look out for a good truck please suggest a nice Truck. I heard about new Ford f150 raptor but I have not put my hand on it. Are dodge and ford trucks same in comparission?

  13. #13watglen2010-07-22 19:28

    My mechanic is having a hard time sourcing one of the drag links. Its a heavy truck shop, so sourcing truck parts shouldn't be a problem The drag link in question has a ball joint on one end, threaded on the other. The ball joint connects to the right wheel pivot , the other end threads into an adjuster, which in turn connects to the pitman arm on the steering box. Several have been delivered, they have odd bends, or are much smaller diameter than the one on my truck. Weird. Can anyone shed some light on this? Mikesheldon, that trailer is rated for about 25,500 gross. Thats about as much as you'ld want to pull with that truck i think, but it depends mostly on the terrain. We are very flat around here.

  14. #14watglen2010-07-22 20:13

    I just found a great forum www.cumminsforum.com

  15. #15spitzair2010-07-24 15:16

    Watglen, another great forum is www.dieseltruckresource.com . I'm a member there and there are lots of knowlegeable people there very eager to help. BTW I just bought an '07 as well, mine has 57000KM and the 6.7 with the Manual Transmission. I just love it! I'm always looking for an excuse to drive it! Can't wait to see how it tows the trailer! Your truck looks like they took great care of it! Hope you get lots of trouble free service out of it! On edit, here's a picture of the one I just bought. It's a dealer picture, I haven't taken any of my own yet... They threw in a new set of tires for me too and an extended warranty. Overall I'm extremely pleased! Best dealer experience I've ever had so far!

  16. #16watglen2010-07-25 07:43

    sweet, i love those rear fenders. Only on the short boxes. One thing we're learning the hard way is Dodge updated the 03-07 steering gear to the 08+ design. It makes sourcing parts for an 07 confusing. I'm not sold on the looks of the lower skirts on mine. But is am really impressed with how they save the paint on the truck. I live on stone roads, and the stones are hard on paint and tires

  17. #17RobVG2010-07-29 18:56

    Sweet truck Watglen. 4x4? Have you found the front driveline grease fitting yet? There should be a sticker warning you to grease it. I wouldn't blame someone for giving up locating it.

  18. #18Cat4202010-07-29 19:16

    Nice truck! I just picked up my first diesel as well. 98 3500 dually with the 12v. New trans and new injection pump. It's got a few things to clean up, but I got it way below book and what things are selling for locally. Only bad thing, I had to tow it back from Long Island, since dmv was closed and I'm not one for risks. I'll be sad to see my little Ram 50 go, but something tells me I'll get over it

  19. #19watglen2010-07-29 22:37

    Nice! I have a 96 v10 still working for me. Love that truck I will never forget the toronto auto show in 94 when they introduced that body style. I absolutely fell in love, especially with the v10 It took 2 years but it finally came.

  20. #20powerjoke2010-07-29 22:51

    With that many miles i would be scared to disturb the transmission too much, we've had more troubles with auto's after service than before service, infact on one of the older trucks with almost 500k on it we had to replace a shift shaft seal, we saved the fluid, put a new filter in it and dumped the old fluid back in....still running strong. as far as everythign else, I would deffinatly change all the other fluids including coolant, both diffs, transfercase etc. i would check the front wheel bearings as they seem to be a little on the weak side especially with a ton of miles...... looks like you got a money pit but hope it dosent turn out to be that way, good luck Pj

  21. #21watglen2010-08-17 11:10

    I have been working on figuring out payloads on my trailer. The trailer is the tandem dually gooseneck pictured above. Weighing the empty trailer i found the axles were carrying different loads. With both trailer axles on the scale i was at 3150 kgs. I pulled up so just the trailing axle was on the scale and it weighed 1320 kgs. Perhaps sitting on scale with the axle at the very edge of the platform caused the weigh bars to do weird things. My question, is it common for trailer designers to put more load on one axle versus the other? Ken

  22. #22powerjoke2010-08-17 12:34

    lol now youre just splitting hairs. looks close enough to equal to me but....youre only talking about 562lbs one thought, our scale has got a ramp going up on it and one thing i have noticed that if you stop the tractor on the scale with the loaded trailer puling backwards (and kinda down) you will get a different reading if you use the johnson bar to only apply the trailer brakes as apposed to just popping the truck valve....hard to explain but you get the idea. So I guess my point is, without the entire truck setting on teh scale it wouldnt take much to kinda nock it outta "whack" and that little could come from the truck setting to high or low in the tongue ?? or maybe, you have a weak spring hell i dunno?? Pj

  23. #23watglen2010-08-17 15:47

    Finally got ahold of a Trailtech engineer, and the conclusion is the normal spring suspension arrangement is intended to equalize the load over the wheels between the two axles evenly. This is affected by trailer leveling though, so you can raise the hitch to the point where you are lifting the weight off the lead axle and thereby overloading the trailing axle. But we won't do that so we're good. So in the end, i can carry 20,262# on my rig, provided it is perfectly positioned. Next step, dozer specs!