Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

09 case 450 engine question

blackblur · 2021-06-06 01:13

Hey I have a 2009 case 450 I thought it was a 4bt Cummins but alot of people are telling me otherwise. Does anyone know what engine is in it and what kind of internal pressure if any its supposed to have (I plan to run a gauge off of the PCV valve area to check it out). it smokes abit and smells like unburnt fuel and runs rich (all injectors and the turbo have been rebuilt and rechecked)

Replies5
  1. #1Willie B2021-06-06 07:55

    My Case backhoe had a 4B. The manual states the engine was built by Case, but EVERY part was absolutely interchangeable with the 4B Cummins in my Dresser Crawler. Post an engine picture. Somebody here will recognize it even if they don't know your model. If I'm not mistaken all 4BT were 3900 CC turbo. Horsepower ranged from 70 to 160.

  2. #2Vetech632021-06-06 09:27

    Its a Cummins 4BT3.9 that Case rebranded as a 4-390. Almost all of the parts are Cummins parts exclusively but when you try to get the parts from Cummins the engine serial number will not come up in their system. As I well know here, without that coming up in their computer system, they are completely lost as to looking up anything for it. Your best bet is to take in whatever you need to the Cummins dealer for a match up.......alot of those parts will have the Cummins part number stamped on them.

  3. #3phil3142021-06-06 10:56

    A 2009 450 should be a series 3. So I believe it has the Iveco NEF 445T/M3 Engine, used by both case and new holland. http://www.engineprofessional.com/TB/TB022316-1.pdf

  4. #4blackblur2021-06-06 11:37

    Yeah I'm pretty sure it's that case number cummins 4bt as alot of parts I've got for it are cummins parts does anyone have a spec for crankcase pressure?

  5. #5Zkdiesel2021-06-06 18:07

    Iveco 4.5 as Mentioned above. It’s a cummins dirivitive, but not a 3.9 4bt by any standards