Hi,Cranemodel1015 here with a recently completed 1/12th scale model of a two cable, 2 cu yd HD clam shell bucket grab that is made of carbon steel and brass and that actually came in at pretty much the scale weight of 5 pounds ( actual bucket weighed in at 8,500 lb). The weight does the digging as the 6 part closing line tension only lightens the bucket weight by onky 1/6 of the bucket's total weight. I also creared a tagline winder and added it to the model crane's boom to prevent cable twisting. I have fitted my 1/12 scale P&H 1015 crawler crane with the new bucket and added a video of its operation on my YT channel. Go to my YT playlist at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...oZ-4VALnrYgQKw to view my recent Clam Shell Operation video and let me know what you think. BEST, Tom
That looks great! I was wondering how you made the tagline winder wind before I saw the picture. Making a crane dig greatly increases the fun!
Thanks JaredV, for your positive comments. Yes the tagline winder was part of my design challenge and actually I ended up using three each 3 1/2" x / 8" black EPDM Rubber Bands to provide the proper tagline tension. BEST, Tom
Just saw this and was hoping to see some more pics. of the crane? Looks to have incredible detail.
Dave, Thanks for your positive comments I have a You Tube channel with the following playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwKat4ize0FuBwA8hNJoZ-4VALnrYgQKw The first (oldest) video gets into a lot of the model's details. Also, if you go to http://lmscnc.com/6342 (Where I offer plans) and scroll down to photos, there are several detailed photos of the model. Attached are a couple of the nearly 3,000 photos of the crane and it's construction that I thought you might enjoy. BEST, Tom
Wow! It's one thing to make a model but to make it actually work is amazing! You are a true craftsman! I will check out your links when I have more time to carefully watch them.
Great looking work! Your tag looks better than the real thing.
Thanks Tugger2 for your comment DO you have any experience and/or knowledge of these old P&H friction cranes? BEST, Tom
I have had a bit of experience with P&H cranes over my career. I owned a 325 P&H truckcrane which we used mainly for pile driving . It was always hard work for a light crane,but it stood up remarkably well. Ive run the the 8115,a 115 ton and the 9125 ,140 ton. The 325 had juice frictions on the swing instead of the Magnatorque the 8115 and 9125 had. The juice frictions could be a bit finicky, I instincktively pump the levers twice with a quick flick of the wrist on the 325 which uses brake fluid in the actuators. Thats not always necessary if they arent taking air in the system. They were all smooth running cranes once you understood their systems.
Wow Tugger2, you are the first chap that I have chatted with that has operated 1960-1970s vintage P&H cranes! I have gone to great lengths to accurately reproduce the scaled details and appearance of the P&H1015. Not sure if you had seen my initial YT video in which I go into some of the detailed aspects of the model, but if you have not seen it and gave time, go to I would be interested in any comments you may have on the cab layout, the gantry, the upper and lower boom hoist spreaders and the lattice boom. I have had contact with the CEO of Bigge Crane, in the SF bay area, and back in the 60s they too ran a fleet of P&H truck mounted cranes. BEST, Tom
Outstanding!!!