Hello, I am in search of these metal dozer tracks. There was a guy selling them on Ebay a few years ago in pairs. If anyone knows who it was that was selling them or if you know where I can find some. Please let me know. Thanks!
Those tracks were made by Sherwood models in Canada. They were offered with some of the many conversions kits he manufactured, mostly for the 1:25th NZG Cat RD8 & RD7's. Unfortunately he has gone out of business and I am unsure where the dies went. There was also a guy offering some really nice brass tracks in 1:25th on ebay - I bought a set from him to put on my AMT D8H - but he hasn't advertised for a while. I think these were made by CCM but I stand to be corrected on that.
Hello, thank you for the reply! It is very helpful! I thought these were the ones that were sold on Ebay intended for use with the AMT D8H kit but these tracks are made of white metal (pewter?) and have a light coat of primer on them.
Are you planning to build a scale model of dozer? What model?
I have used the Sherwood tracks a few times now but not on the AMT model. As mentioned in my earlier post, the Sherwood tracks were intended for the NZG RD8 and they could end up being a little bit short for the AMT model which has a longer track frame. The rails are also a bit deeper which will make them sit higher. I will have a look back over my ebay purchases and see if I can locate the guy who was selling the brass tracks and post you his details.
Hello, yes, I bought a 1/24 scratch built Cat D9T off of Ebay. When I recieved it, it was broke apart pretty bad so I'm going to rebuild it and change a few things to make it more accurate. Namely the tracks. The builder used the vinyl tracks from the AMT D8H dozer kit so I want to replace those with more accurate tracks. Here's a link to my Fotki album showing the dozer before it was sent to me. There's some pics of what happened to it as well. http://www.public.fotki.com/lotso/124-cat-d9t-project/
Here is another project I have going. A company called Meng has recently realeased a VERY detailed, VERY high parts count, 1/35 model of a D9R "Doobi" armored dozer. I am currently mastering a kit that will be cast into resin to convert this kit from armored dozer back to a standard D9R . Here are the links to that album: http://www.public.fotki.com/lotso/meng-cat-d9r-dozer-/
That would be great! Thank you! These are going on a Cat D9T so if you know of a more accurate track, that would be even better! It appears that this half set I have here is actually for an excavator as there is a groove for another traction bar to be bolted to them? I don't know tracks that well so I'm not sure? These were the first ones I've ever seen that resemble the D9T tracks. Yes, these tracks only have 35 links, I'm pretty sure the D9T needs 43 per side.
Here is my AMT D8H with the brass tracks. It has been converted to a direct drive 36A and is all set up to tow a scraper with a Cat No.29 on the back (usually pulls a 1st Gear Cat 491 but I'm working on a No.80) The ebay seller of the brass tracks went under the name of stancillp and he is still active. Whether he has any left is a good question.
Wow, that is really nice!!!!!!! Hard to believe you used the AMT kit! I have every issue that has ever been released of that kit including two of the combo kit that has the Loadcraft lowboy and D8H in one box. Pretty rare kit!
Yep, a lot of work went into creating that replica. I picked it up at a swapmeet over 10 years ago with the idea of turning it into a push cat. It got put aside in favor of other projects and it wasn't till a freind in Oregon suggested about changing it from powershift to direct drive that the project took off.