Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

IH Hough D500 in Bell Bros livery Western Australia

footloose1952 ยท 2013-10-26 07:09

Hello members, I spent the last couple of months stripping and painting this EMD Resin model. I found it very difficult to strip the paint. I read on a Forum somewhere that the original Chemist Dettol would do the job. But it didn't, I left it soak for a week and all it achieved was to make it very slippery and when I took it out the bowl, it slipped out of my grasp straight onto the floor. Paint still intact. Another problem was trying to get the tyres off the rims,,,,,impossible. I soaked the wheels in hot/boiling water, no luck, then hot olive oil, still no joy. So I had to paint the rims with the tyres still on. Hope you enjoy the photos. The first one is one of two that Bell Bros had at the Alcoa Refinery construction in Western Australia in the late 1960's early 70's when I worked there. Next photo is of the model stripped The painting starts Now a few of the completed model Hope you enjoy Regards from down under in WA Peter

Replies5
  1. #1winterax2013-10-26 18:55

    So how did you end up getting the paint off ? By the way, nice job !

  2. #2footloose19522013-10-26 20:16

    Bell Bros Hough I ended up using what some say you shouldn't, ordinary Paint Stripper that you would use on metal models and the like, I was sure to only leave the stripper on for no longer than 30 seconds at a time ( I have previously melted resin parts ) and repeated the process over and over until I was happy with the amount of strip I'd done. Here's another photo of how the model looked when I first purchased it, and another of the finished model Hope liked the finished model Regards from down under Peter

  3. #3JDOFMEMI2013-10-26 23:56

    Looks good.

  4. #4Paydozer2013-11-16 05:17

    Peter, Great job - looks really good. Worked for Bell Bros up the NorthWest in the early 70s when Red and White ruled the way.

  5. #5glenlunberg2013-11-18 20:36

    Great models! I really love them especially the last scale model. I like the color red of it!