Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

10.00-15 Tube tires to 11R-17.5 conversion. Rim sizes and availability.

Jon Bradtke · 2023-09-25 10:09

Good morning All, I have an older 1972 Rodgers trailer with the 10.00-15 tube tires. Picked the trailer up for cheap ($5k) but it needs a deck (not a big deal to me) and all new tires. I would really like to convert to a tubeless newer style tire. I see a vendor selling 11R-17.5 tires (5,357lb load rating as a dual) and I just want to make sure that the tire is compatible with the 6.75 width? I understand that my lowboy will go from a 40 ton to 35 ton because of the tire change. The 11R-17.5 is roughly the same diameter as the 10.00-15 so I think it makes sense. Another weird thing is that the rims being sold have a max load capacity of 4805lb which is lower than the tire. Should I be concerned about this? Sidebar question, does anyone have 17.5 dayton rims used for sale? I'm having a hard time finding them in salvage yards. Thanks all!

Replies3
  1. #1charles walton2023-11-11 16:54

    following

  2. #2Blue-Fox2024-12-27 14:10

    I’m working on the same type of deal, I have a Dorsey low boy and a hyster that use these 10.00-15’s. I just keep running into less load capability everywhere I turn, on these 17.5 rims. I don’t like the loss.

  3. #3j dirt2025-01-05 17:24

    We have an old miller 20 ton tilt trailer with 8.25x15's. Changed all 8 for Dayton tubeless 17.5 rims, did a lot of shopping, they all came from China, but they bolted up right in place of the old split rings. I don't remember what the load ratings are but I did get 18 ply tires and those are rated at 5675 as duals.