Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Went to look at a gooseneck trailer

Old Doug · 2023-09-15 08:09

I thought he was wrong but it was about 5 miles away so i went to look. He said in the add it was 28 foot long with a 5 foot dovetail . It was 20 with a 5 foot dovetail and it said it was in a wreck. Someone had hit something at speed with the right front corner. That pushed that side of the trailer back. If it was longer i would have been very interested or if it wasnt wrecked at the price he was asking i would have bought it. I have seen several trailer around 3 hours or more from home that i would like to look at but i dont want to go that far look then drive my truck back and get it i guess i am not needing it bad enough yet.

Replies5
  1. #1redneckracin2023-09-15 09:49

    I for the life of me can't figure out why people seem to measure from the coupler to the tail on goosenecks. It seems to be a rising trend to get the trailer into a higher price bracket is all I can figure out. I wouldn't mess around with a wrecked trailer unless it was for scrap price or you needed something off of it.

  2. #2cfherrman2023-09-15 17:55

    That funny when I sold my trailer recently people would ask me how long the bed was, I was always like it's in the listing but I see now why they asked

  3. #3MG842023-09-15 18:42

    I’m not entirely sure, but I think 5th wheel campers may be measured that way. Could be how people who don’t know any better are coming up with those measurements.

  4. #4_Weldman_2023-09-16 09:11

    Trying to squeeze every dollar out of something from nothing. They figure they can't ask much for a 20 footer, but if they have a 28 footer they can ask for more, same with RSH's. Hate to say guys, but size does matter

  5. #5Old Doug2023-09-17 09:20

    The trailer sold the next day. If i had a better pickup i would go out of state and buy some trailers to resale here in Mo. There looks to be some good buys if you dont mind to travel. I think years ago they measured trailers from the hitch back.