I recently went for NewYork state safety inspection, and failed partly because of a cut in one of my "spikey" Firestone snow tires. The local Bandag retread shop thought they could cut away the damage for $50, icluding dis-remount. But, alas, too much damage was evident upon closer inspection. But now the yires off the rim, (split), and even though the tire was working ok, it was kind of stupid to put it back on. So off to the junkyard, and a waste of two hours looking at the odd decent steer tire for $50. Traction tires are rare in tube type. Maybe 22,5 tubeless would be an improvement. So I interupted my busy schedule, and took a drive out to country yards 15-20 miles away. More steer tires , then pay-dirt! Yard two that I had never done any business with had 4 matched 11:00X20 SPIKEYS! Nice tread, no age cracks, on (very rusty) split rims, . Mine where not, too bad. How much would these be worth? I live in a small town, 20k souls, kinda' the boonies. I paid $2500 for the truck, a GMC 6500 dump, 14 foot box, 366 crate mtr, 5 speed grinds a little, decently maintained, neede lots of TLC.
In my area used parts are generally 1/2 the cost of new, this could be a starting point for you. You might be able to convince your dealer of a better price by pointing out how limited a market there is for that type of tire and show him cash in hand. You might get a super deal. Good Luck!