Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

10 gallon transaxle fill up tank. Suggestions?

emmett518 · 2021-05-06 19:05

I changed the oil in the front and rear hubs, and transaxles on my JD 310 L backhoe. I used a cheap valve / filler tube that screwed onto a one gallon bucket of Hydrac. It kind of sucked. Plus, it is not going to work for the rear as there is not enough room to get the jug above the fill hole. I’d like to put together a 5 - 10 gallon tank that I can sit on the tractor or on its own cart that I can fill with Hydrac, attach a hose with a ball valve, and dispense the fluid from underneath where the fill holes are. I could probably use one of those portable gas tanks with the mini gas nozzle, but they are $100 which is a lot for a job that will happen about once a year. Anyone have any ideas on a tank with a fill hole and a drain hole that would work? I think if I cut ports in a Home Depot bucket, it’s gonna leak. thanks.

Replies5
  1. #1Delmer2021-05-06 20:34

    Use the five gallon bucket the fluid comes in and a 3/4" or 1" hose to siphon the oil. Take the lid off, drill a hole just large enough to pull the hose through, cut the tip of the hose at an angle and pull enough through to reach the bottom corner. Then blow on the regular spout to start the siphon, or tip the bucket as it won't leak with the tight seal from the hose to bucket.

  2. #2heymccall2021-05-06 20:43

    We buy Hygard in 5gallon pails, and my deere dealer sells a "pail pump". Not easy for 90w, but works great for hydraulic and engine oils. Below is a pic of one from other than deere.

  3. #3Bumpsteer2021-05-06 20:59

    I have a similar pail pimp, usues a lever to work the pump. IIRC, it was about $50 at the truck parts place.

  4. #4mg23612021-05-07 12:17

    If you want to be a little lazier, get one of these and let the air do the work. https://www.amazon.com/Motive-Produ...07a4c&pd_rd_wg=VgjhB&pd_rd_i=B0119DHX7O&psc=1

  5. #5emmett5182021-05-16 08:45

    My solution.