When the Deere 310L showed up at my place, I decided to do all the maintenance to give myself peace of mind, knowing it was done right, and done at the right time. I'm glad I did. Pulled the plug on the left front hub, and discovered it was bone dry. Not a drop leaked out. Not sure if something is leaking, or the maintenance chimp forgot to fill it. Right hub, transaxle and rears had fluid. I did look inside the hub, and didn't see any gear damage, wear or metal filings floating around. I'm going to watch it carefully to see if I have a leak. Stuff like this really makes me appreciate guys who care when they work on stuff like this.
Run it for a couple hours, sample all your oils and send in. This will give you a baseline, after that you'll be able to monitor degradation. Of course, what you've done, is more than most will ever do. New life for used iron
X2 what funwithfuel said. Even tho you filled that dry hub, it should not be used very long without draining it and looking for shiny stuff.
Apparently, the seal is leaking on that hub. Is that something I can replace or is that a dealership thing? And if I can do it, how do I get the old seal out?
Which seal? If it is seal #22 (sorry I cut off the number) on the bottom left or the O-ring it can be done on the machine. If it is seal #8 then the hub assembly with the axle shaft would have to be removed from the machine.
That would give you the opportunity to find out why it failed. Worn u-joint, worn spindle pins? Like your thread title says, start from scratch.
I’d just assume replace all three. Can I do this in my driveway or is this stuff too heavy to lift? And how do I check u joint and spindle pins?
Seems weird that this would happen after 1600 hours.
And how do I get the seals out?
Just talked to Deere service. They indicated that the king pins have to be pulled, along with axles. They said that lining things up, along with handling heavy front stuff is going to be tough for one lady. So, the parts are on order, and I'm going to have them do it. I think backhoes are a lot like boats. A hole in the water / earth into which you pour money.
I would defer to my colleagues who speak Deere
If replacing seal (#8) then yes they are correct. And yes it is heavy and also requires some special tooling. If only replacing seal (#22) and O-ring (#26) that can be done without pulling the king pins (#'s 13 and 16) and axles (#7).